Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 09:30 AM

994 posts, read 1,821,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
Well, I agree with Vietnamese and Korean as some of the least beautiful languages.

However, I disagree with Thai, and Cantonese Chinese.
I think they are some of the most beautiful languages.

Come on, when guys speak Thai they don't sound like women.
Most males that speak Thai still sound like males.

I also disagree with you about German, Spanish, and Italian. I think German, Spanish, and Italian are some of the least beautiful languages.

This was my list for most beautiful and least beautiful sounding languages:

Wow haha I think we are opposites. I love Italian, Spanish and Portuguese and most European languages (western). My least favorite tend to be east asian languages, with the exception of Japanese.

I am not judging you, just curious. What don't you like about Spanish and Italian and other Romance languages? I can understand that you don't like them, but are they too rhythmic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 09:44 AM

5,052 posts, read 13,869,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Wow haha I think we are opposites. I love Italian, Spanish and Portuguese and most European languages (western). My least favorite tend to be east asian languages, with the exception of Japanese.

I am not judging you, just curious. What don't you like about Spanish and Italian and other Romance languages? I can understand that you don't like them, but are they too rhythmic?
I am glad you are not judging my language preferences even though we have mostly different language preferences with certain things. I also am not judging you related to that topic.

Well, there are still plenty of European languages that I like and find the most beautiful in the world that I mentioned such as French, British English, Swedish, Norweigan, Romanian, Danish, and Icelandic. There are also plenty of Asian languages I like too and also find the most beautiful in the world such as Mandarin Chinese, Thai, Japanese, and Hindi Indian.

For European languages the ones I find the least beautiful in the world are German, Russian, Albanian, Dutch, Hungarian, Italian, and Spanish.
For Asian languages the ones I find the least beautiful are Korean, Vietnamese, and Mongolian.

Ironically, French and Romanian are two Romance languages I like a lot while Spanish, and Italian are languages I dont like even though they are also Romance languages. They are in a similar language group but still express themselves very differently to me.

Also, Mandarin Chinese, Thai, and Japanese seem to be in a similar language group to Korean, Vietnamese, and Mongolian but still express themselves very differently to me.

What are your reasons for generally liking those European languages you mentioned and not liking East Asian languages as much(with the exception being Japanese?

Last edited by *******; 06-17-2011 at 09:52 AM..

Old 06-17-2011, 10:09 AM

994 posts, read 1,821,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
I am glad you are not judging my language preferences even though we have mostly different language preferences with certain things. I also am not judging you related to that topic.

Well, there are still plenty of European languages that I like and find the most beautiful in the world that I mentioned such as French, British English, Swedish, Norweigan, Romanian, Danish, and Icelandic. There are also plenty of Asian languages I like too and also find the most beautiful in the world such as Mandarin Chinese, Thai, Japanese, and Hindi Indian.

For European languages the ones I find the least beautiful in the world are German, Russian, Albanian, Dutch, Hungarian, Italian, and Spanish.
For Asian languages the ones I find the least beautiful are Korean, Vietnamese, and Mongolian.

Ironically, French and Romanian are two Romance languages I like a lot while Spanish, and Italian are languages I dont like even though they are also Romance languages. They are in a similar language group but still express themselves very differently to me.

Also, Mandarin Chinese, Thai, and Japanese seem to be in a similar language group to Korean, Vietnamese, and Mongolian but still express themselves very differently to me.

What are your reasons for generally liking those European languages you mentioned and not liking East Asian languages as much(with the exception being Japanese?
For me Asian languages sound choppy and sometimes (specifically Mandarin) sound angry to me. I think a lot has to do to with the fact that I was raised speaking Spanish as a second language so then languages like Italian and Portuguese I have an easier time learning, pronouncing and listening to. I also like very rhythmic languages and languages I can move my hands to. What I mean is I like to speak with my hands and when speaking Spanish is just comes naturally and I know that is very common for Romance languages as well, using the hands that is.

I think sometimes Asian languages for me are intimidating as well, as I have no clue about any of their words and letter/symbols. I just feel a little lost in their language.

I like Japanese because to my ears it sounds a little smoother and less choppy. Not saying it's one of my favorites but if I had a list of top 10 languages, it would definitely be there but towards the bottom.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:49 PM

88,056 posts, read 83,895,248 times
Quote:
For me Asian languages sound choppy and sometimes (specifically Mandarin) sound angry to me. I think a lot has to do to with the fact that I was raised speaking Spanish as a second language so then languages like Italian and Portuguese I have an easier time learning, pronouncing and listening to. I also like very rhythmic languages and languages I can move my hands to. What I mean is I like to speak with my hands and when speaking Spanish is just comes naturally and I know that is very common for Romance languages as well, using the hands that is.

I think sometimes Asian languages for me are intimidating as well, as I have no clue about any of their words and letter/symbols. I just feel a little lost in their language.

I like Japanese because to my ears it sounds a little smoother and less choppy. Not saying it's one of my favorites but if I had a list of top 10 languages, it would definitely be there but towards the bottom.
There used to be a comedian who said "Why do Chinese people sound as if they are always asking a question?" LOL. I was on the train listening to a Chinese woman speaking last week, and she sounded as though she was just complaining about something. I realized that it is just the tones that they use--in English, tones denote emotion, but not in Chinese.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:06 PM

5,052 posts, read 13,869,256 times
Quote:

Interesting.

Asian languages do not sound choppy to me and they also do not sound angry. I also do not find them intimidating.

A few years ago, other than English, I knew Romanian, and I knew some Mandarin Chinese. For me, it was equally easy to learn some Mandarin Chinese as Romanian for me, surprisingly.

I feel like languages such as German, Hungarian, Dutch, Russian, and even Italian and Spanish, can sound more choppy and angry.

It just goes to show different people have different experiences with certain languages.

However, like I said there are plenty of European languages that I still like just like Asian languages that I like. Also, there are still some Asian languages that I dislike just like European languages.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:59 AM
Ne0

4 posts, read 23,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne0 View Post
Another vote for Brazilian Portuguese. The best place to hear it is CAFÉ BRASIL, where you can find the wonderful podcasts of Luciano Pires, with fantastic music too!

Moderator cut: link removed, please read the tos
Ouch! Well, I guess you mean this "Creation of active links is enabled for users that have been here for more than three days and have a couple posts already". Sorry. But if anyone was interested, and Googled CAFÉ BRASIL, the top links are to some cafe in Los Angeles. The link was to lucianpires.com.br which is totally non-commercial, and is a great resource for anyone interested in learning Portugese, as I am. Hundreds of mp3 podcasts, with transcriptions there, if anyone is interested. I have no connection to the site, just a fan.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:23 PM

2,943 posts, read 2,892,645 times
My personal rank:
1. Danish. The most underrated. it's very beautiful, just like elves or some angel speaking . I love it since i listening to Lars Ullrich talk (i think that the others nordic languages must be similar)
2. Portuguese. The language of love. You can find happiness in the words
3. Italian. Very elegant and virile.
4. Spanish, especially in Spain (listen to a Spanish woman to speak must be the hottest sound :P), and except in Mexico and Chile. It has an unique cadence.
- Deutsch. Other of the most underrated. People think that it sounds like a nazi shouting. Nothing more wrong. I recommend to play a game doubled to German.
5.Hebrew. It's interesting and exotic.

Whit regard to the rest:

French: the most overrated. it's cacophonius and over- sweet, just like eat too much chocolate.
Eastern world: horrible. the only that it's not bad at all is japanese.
Arabic: ugly.
Eastern Europe and slavic: very strange and absent of soul.

English: very useful and universal. it's ok, in the middle, not particulary beautiful, but not either bad or ugly.

I'm argentinian. Sorry for my english.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:02 PM

3,636 posts, read 10,696,378 times
Japanese is overrated IMO. It's so monotone, and they just kinda go on and on with the same tone of voice, it makes it sound like they're mumbling

Old 06-21-2011, 11:23 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,802,255 times
The most beautiful sounding language in my opinion

I'd have to say Efik, properly speaking it is not a spoken language, it is a sung language, it is tonal and is spoken in five musical keys, the tone, musical key, of the word changes the meaning. When listening to a large crowd, it is almost symphonic. It is spoken in about 50 sq. miles of the W. African rainforest.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:39 AM

591 posts, read 863,519 times
Portuguese, Persian, French, Italian. Although part Scottish I would never claim it was beautiful, I would see it as "heroic" or something of that nature. I also like the Welsh and Bristol/Cheltenham accents but can't quite call them "beautiful".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World