Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:21 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Do indulge me and tell me what was their answer.

I would have probably enjoyed seeing the look on their faces. In my experience, every time you challenge anything fundamental to American culture - you get an "I-can't-believe-you-dare-critique-this!!" reaction.

On a completely unrelated topic - yet, still something fundamental to the current American culture - I was accused today that I deprive my children of a "normal childhood" because I refuse to expose them to daily TV shows and video games!!

I can completely relate to everything you wrote about the American work culture. Thank goodness I no longer work in an office, but do largely autonomous work.

Unfortunately, as multinationals take over everywhere, there is a lot of push towards this type of work culture in many parts of the world. Western Europe may be more resistant to it, but many parts of Eastern Europe have already been seriously infested with the mascarade above.
Well, they were not really surprised as our views had collided before. They were more surprised when I wanted to switch to part-time earlier on They asked me if I would quit if they denied my wish. I didn't reply, but I guess he read the answer from my face and agreed.

Same here, I am so glad I am self-employed, no more trouble with colleagues. I just do what I think is right and I can say no whenever I want to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 06:47 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Why get so touchy about Billy Graham? When I saw this loon raving on about integrity, teamwork, productivity etc and throwing his arms in the air it reminded me exactly of those crazy American evangelists (at least we certainly think they're crazy), and he's the only one I can name.

As Neuling has already said, all this stuff about teamwork, management-speak jargon, fake enthusiasm is just annoying to me, and more importantly unnecessary time-wasting. Why do I need a seminar in how to look people in the eye when I'm talking to them - how do they think I've coped in everyday life all these years? I much prefer plain speaking and knowing where I stand.

I remember about 6-8 years ago reading about the British supermarket ASDA getting taken over by Wal-Mart, and how one store manager - no doubt somebody who'd been bullied at school so needed to take his revenge on the world as an adult - thought it would be a good idea to get his staff together at the start of the day to do a "Gimme an A! Gimme an S! Gimme a D....YEAH!! WHOOOOO!" type thing, and on the Monday evening he found his car had been keyed and a potato put in the exhaust; on the Tuesday morning half the workforce were either on the toilet at start time or "caught in traffic"
Well ben if you think that this "American work culture" thing is so repulsive then I suggest that you never get transferred to Japan because that is where the things described above originated. Oh and you can toss in a morning group exercise session just for added effect.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
I do appreciate the efficiency where efficiency is truly needed. Sometimes, that can be priceless, indeed.

As for innovation, I have seen more than my share of downright dumb, useless, even dangerous innovations to be very cautious about this cultural trait.
I am more of an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mind.
How conservative of you.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, they were not really surprised as our views had collided before. They were more surprised when I wanted to switch to part-time earlier on They asked me if I would quit if they denied my wish. I didn't reply, but I guess he read the answer from my face and agreed.

Same here, I am so glad I am self-employed, no more trouble with colleagues. I just do what I think is right and I can say no whenever I want to
C'mon Neuling, everyone has to answer to someone. Even if you are self employed.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
C'mon Neuling, everyone has to answer to someone. Even if you are self employed.
Actually, no. I am a freelancer. Should a client get on my nerves, I would just drop them. Has never really happened so far, though.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:15 AM

In my view the US' most positive influence so far was Jazz.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:26 AM

263 posts, read 567,227 times
Quote:
I do appreciate the efficiency where efficiency is truly needed. Sometimes, that can be priceless, indeed.

As for innovation, I have seen more than my share of downright dumb, useless, even dangerous innovations to be very cautious about this cultural trait.
I am more of an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mind.
This viewpoint is contrary to any sort of scientific progress and is more suited to the Dark Ages. Please note that innovation and science is not endemic or a product of the US, but something absorbed from Europe, going back to ancient Greece and beyond.

Surely you're aware of that, right?

Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 AM

Some innovations just don't make sense, they are only pushed because companies feel like they must grow no matter what. Take for instance nano products. In my view they will cause us more problems (especially health problems) than they will solve. It is oftentimes not human needs anymore that drive innovation and development, but simply marketing/management. And once company A starts with it, most other companies in that industry will emulate it. I don't need a washing machine based on nano technology. There are serious health concerns...

Old 04-05-2011, 11:03 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
So what is European business management style?

BTW mentioning Billy Graham reflects poorly on your answer. It shows your bias against America. I, as an American, am almost completely unfamiliar with the man, but somehow you see him in any enthusiastic American.
I can't speak for the whole continent but I had an interview for a job writing for a financial magazine just yesterday as it happened (after I got laid off last month). One of the first thing the interviewer said was "Right, I'm not going to ask any stupid HR questions because I can't bloody stand all that nonsense" and I spent half the 30 minutes just chatting with him and making fun of the "Do you see the big picture?"/"When was the last time you inspired integrity to exceed your goal?" *******s the big multinationals ask, and guess what? I just got a phone call to say he liked my sense of humour and that I've got the job No five-hour group assessments, no inane sh1te questions, no outsourcing recruitment to agencies, no credit check/background check, no four rounds of interviews, no online psychometric tests, no good-cop, bad-cop routine, no falseness, no faux-seriousness - just say it how you see it, get on with it and no time wasting. That's my style at least

Old 04-05-2011, 11:20 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
American cultural influence is still huge in the world.

Just go to Twitter and check the Trending Topics. Lots of people from all around the world talking about Justin Bieber and other American celebrities. And the Hollywood movies are still the big "blockbusters" in most countries.

Personally, I like most of the American music, and I like lots of American movies (but not all of them, some are just crap), and some American TV shows (The Simpsons, House, etc).

The worst part of the American cultural influence is in food habits. American fast food is very unhealthy, and it's widespread worldwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World