Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:56 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,417,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer79 View Post
This viewpoint is contrary to any sort of scientific progress and is more suited to the Dark Ages. Please note that innovation and science is not endemic or a product of the US, but something absorbed from Europe, going back to ancient Greece and beyond.

Surely you're aware of that, right?
Yes, I am aware of that. Show me the revolutionary, truly worthy innovations - and I'll sing the hymn. There certainly are a few of those in the history of mankind.

Unfortunately, most of what passes for "innovation" today is just a shameless way to extract more money from the population without adding zip to true quality of life; many times, taking it away, in fact.

I just came from the Education forum where someone posted a completely mental video showing how educational "innovators" in the US teach kids the "New Math". The butchering they do to a simple multiplication like 32 x 21 is beyond scary.

So no thanks; I'll stay with my "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset. When it's really broke, do get your innovator juices flowing.
Until then though - ABSTAIN! and do the D**n work that needs to be done - DONE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 12:58 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,966,591 times
American influence on worldwide economic and cultural processes can be summed up through the use of specific locations I think: Detroit (Fordism), Wall Street, Silicon Valley and Hollywood.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:02 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,094,021 times
The American Protectorate of UE is an American invention.
Pax Americana has made possible the unification of countries that have been tearing each other apart since the end of the Roman Empire.
If it weren't for the US, we would be speaking Russian in grey and rusty countries or we would have been transformed in cinders by Addie, "the last European Leader" (let's hope so).
If the US flounders, the UE will follow.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:45 AM

25,903 posts, read 24,622,730 times
If you say UE, you should also say EUA rather than US

Old 04-07-2011, 07:02 AM

One of the areas where the US, but actually the entire English-speaking world, has influence on the rest of the world is language. Being a translator, it kind of hurts to see how people simply stop using their own established words and use English words instead, even if they have exactly the same meaning. I don't see the point in that. The only exception is science as researchers around the world use English for their new discoveries and technologies.
One example is the word job. In my language there are five or more different words for it, each stressing a certain aspect. Increasingly people simply use job instead, which however has the connotation of being not very meaningful, not permanent, etc.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:19 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,094,021 times
I find that English is quite right as Lingua Franca.
When I studied High School during Franco's years, English was not taught at most schools in Spain because it was a "heathenish" language spoken by "decadent nations".
We were forced to learn French, not a very useful language.
It meant a big blow for the Spanish economy, and Spain still lags far behing in the knowledge of English language.
We have too many languages here.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
I find that English is quite right as Lingua Franca.
When I studied High School during Franco's years, English was not taught at most schools in Spain because it was a "heathenish" language spoken by "decadent nations".
We were forced to learn French, not a very useful language.
It meant a big blow for the Spanish economy, and Spain still lags far behing in the knowledge of English language.
We have too many languages here.
For international stuff like trade or science, no problem. But within Germany or Spain? There is no need to replace German or Spanish words by English synonyms. Spanish is a very rich, progressive language with a long history, just like Germany.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:25 PM

14,460 posts, read 11,226,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
For international stuff like trade or science, no problem. But within Germany or Spain? There is no need to replace German or Spanish words by English synonyms. Spanish is a very rich, progressive language with a long history, just like Germany.
...or City Data forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World