Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2011, 01:11 PM

278 posts, read 621,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
The Balkans/Southeastern Europe and the Ukraine/Belarus.

And possibly Argentina (if they are counted as "white').
Argentina:

Population:

European (Mostly Spanish and Italian) 97 percent.

Multiracial (Mixed European and Amerindian ancestry), Amerindian, and other Non-European Groups 3 percent.

Languages:
Spanish (Official), Italian, English, German, French.

Economy:

GDP: 596 Billion U.S. Dollars. (Ranked 24 in the global GDP ranking)

GDP Per Capita 14,700 U.S. Dollars

GDP Growth Rate: 7.5 percent (2010)

Source: Central Inteligence Agency
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/ar.html

Lycanmaster,

Argentina is by far richer than many other countries that are populated by European ethnic groups.

Albania for example has a GDP of 23 Billion U.S. Dollars and a GDP Per Capita of 7400 U.S. Dollars.

I could list more examples of European countries that are not as rich as Argentina.

I think the Hollywood (let's bash everything south of the border) propaganda has done a harm to the South America's image, so I do not blame you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 01:49 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
The Balkans/Southeastern Europe and the Ukraine/Belarus.

And possibly Argentina (if they are counted as "white').
OK, I'm reading here...
"European explorers arrived in 1516. Spain established the Viceroyalty of Peru in 1542, encompassing all its holdings in South America. Their first settlement in modern Argentina was the Fort of Sancti Spiritu established in 1527 next to the Paraná River. Buenos Aires, a permanent colony, was established in 1536 but was destroyed by natives. The city was established again in 1580 as part of the Governorate of the Río de la Plata.
The area which encompassed much of the territory that would later become Argentina was largely a territory of Spanish immigrants and their descendants (known as criollos), mestizos, native cultures, and descendants of African slaves. A third of Colonial-era settlers gathered in Buenos Aires and other cities, others lived on the pampas, as gauchos for example. Indigenous peoples inhabited much of the remainder and most of Patagonia and Gran Chaco remained under indigenous control."

So even in spite of the next excerpt form Wikipedia, such as

"After 1875 a wave of foreign investment and immigration from Europe led to the strengthening of a cohesive state, the development of modern agriculture and to a near-reinvention of Argentine society and economy," and the fact that there are a lot of European immigrants ( and their descendants, who are not already necessarily "white" per se,) Argentina doesn't look like truly "white" country to me. Plus, of course, this country is better off than many other countries in the world.
So...most likely Eastern Europe it is, but whether it's Ukraine or Moldova or what's not, that is still a question.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:54 PM

950 posts, read 1,514,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
Argentina:

Population:

Multiracial (Mixed European and Amerindian ancestry), Amerindian, and other Non-European Groups 3 percent.

Languages:

Economy:

Lycanmaster,

Argentina is by far richer than many other countries that are populated by European ethnic groups.

Albania for example has a GDP of 23 Billion U.S. Dollars and a GDP Per Capita of 7400 U.S. Dollars.

I could list more examples of European countries that are not as rich as Argentina.

I think the Hollywood (let's bash everything south of the border) propaganda has done a harm to the South America's image, so I do not blame you.
Most European countries have a higher human development index than Argentina.

And another thing just because 97% of Argentines identify themselves as White, it does not mean 97% of Argentines are pure unmixed Europeans without a single drop of Amerindian blood in their family tree. Argentina is no Nazi Germany or America during Jim Crow where only people who are racially pure can identify as White.

Many so-called "White" Argentines look like lightskin Mestizos like Maradona for example.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
Most European countries have a higher human development index than Argentina.

And another thing just because 97% of Argentines identify themselves as White, it does not mean 97% of Argentines are pure unmixed Europeans without a single drop of Amerindian blood in their family tree. Argentina is no Nazi Germany or America during Jim Crow where only people who are racially pure can identify as White.

Many so-called "White" Argentines look like lightskin Mestizos like Maradona for example.
Maradona is "Cabecita Negra". He is a football player. Sports players are not representative of a whole nation. Are most US Nationals all black like Michael Jordan?

Most Argentines do not look like Maradona. They look far more European. Maradona is a "Cabecita Negra", if he wasn't a famous footballer, he would probably be working in a middle class neighborhood close to the Bolivian border.

There are no black people in Argentina. Also, Argentina had a European-Only Immigration policy. They killed almost all of the natives.

Racism in Argentina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Megan Fox and the Jersey Shores Cast (excluding Vinny) would be considered Mestizos (multiracials) in Argentina.

Manu Ginobili:
Manu Ginobili Info Page | NBA.com

Fabricio Oberto:
NBA.com : Fabricio Oberto Info Page

Carlos Delfino
Carlos Delfino Info Page | NBA.com

Andres Nocioni
Andres Nocioni Info Page | NBA.com

Walter Herrmann
NBA.com : Walter Herrmann Info Page

Even the Argentine basketball players are full European.

Source: http://www.nba.com/players/int_players_0607.html

Those are the only 5 Argentine nationals currently playing for the NBA. Just compare them to the average U.S. born NBA player.
Or you could try comparing the Olympics U.S. team of any sport vs any Olympic sports team of Argentina.

Last edited by Venezuelan; 05-21-2011 at 03:13 PM..

Old 05-21-2011, 03:16 PM

If Argentina killed of all of the Natives, than explain this Argentine person for example

He looks like he has significant Amerindian admixture.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:25 PM

624 posts, read 1,121,025 times
Quote:
Argentina:

Population:

Languages:

Economy:

Lycanmaster,

At nominal GDP/capita Argentina is worst than the poorest countries in the EU (Romania and Bulgaria) but at PPP is slightly better. Now when it comes to europe as a whole is definitely better than Albania, Belarus, Ukraine, Macedonia or Moldova.
Anyway.... neither of these countries are poor... to consider them poor is a joke... besides the fact that most of them are very rich in resources... some extremely rich in resources people own their homes, have houses in the rural areas or relatives... the family relations are better than in the west and they do well.
As I said I lived in Romania (which is considered one of the poorest in EU) and even the poorest folks out there had some relatives in the rural areas that sent them organic fresh produce from time to time... they sent their kids there in the summer and they did pretty well... at least their kids grew healthy and ate organic food. Now... in case of Romania the GDP/capita is somewhere around 14k but in the cities (Bucharest, Timisoara, Brasov, Constanta and Cluj) the GDP/capita is around 30k... the difference in money is huge between the rural areas and the cities but those folks in the rural areas don't have it that bad... a lot of them have no income but they are self sustainable... they grow anything they need in their garden... if they don't... they sell some of the produce and with the money they buy it (and those money are not registered anywhere.. are as they say... black economy). You have to know that the so called "black economy" (aka money on which there are no taxes payed because no one declares them and the state is too incompetent to catch them) represent over 50% of the GDP in Eastern Europe. If everyone payed taxes or declared their activity most of the Eastern European countries should have GDPs with at least 50% higher!

Old 05-21-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
If Argentina killed of all of the Natives, than explain this Argentine person for example

He looks like he has significant Amerindian admixture.

The Amerindian population of Argentina is 1 percent. Obviously you performed an intensive google search: "Indigenous remaining inhabitants from Argentina" in order to find that picture, in the case of course, the guy from the picture is Argentine (you did not post the source) that person could be from Oklahoma.

I could also post a picture of the 50 million US nationals of Mexican ancestry or those US natives like Lou Diamond Phillips but I really don't have too. I would be lowering myself to your narrowminded level where you think that 1 guy such as Maradona or the Amerindian in your picture represents "All Argentines" lol.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
The Amerindian population of Argentina is 1 percent. Obviously you performed an intensive google search: "Indigenous remaining inhabitants from Argentina" in order to find that picture, in the case of course, the guy from the picture is Argentine (you did not post the source) that person could be from Oklahoma.

I could also post a picture of the 50 million US nationals of Mexican ancestry or those US natives like Lou Diamond Phillips but I really don't have too. I would be lowering myself to your narrowminded level where you think that 1 guy such as Maradona or the Amerindian in your picture represents "All Argentines" lol.
I didn't say they represent all Argentines. But Argentina is a Latin American country, and like any Latin American country they don't have a very strict definition of White where all it takes is one drop of Amerindian blood to label someone Nonwhite.

A lightskin Mestiza like Jessica Alba would be considered White in Argentina.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
At nominal GDP/capita Argentina is worst than the poorest countries in the EU (Romania and Bulgaria) but at PPP is slightly better. Now when it comes to europe as a whole is definitely better than Albania, Belarus, Ukraine, Macedonia or Moldova.
Anyway.... neither of these countries are poor... to consider them poor is a joke... besides the fact that most of them are very rich in resources... some extremely rich in resources people own their homes, have houses in the rural areas or relatives... the family relations are better than in the west and they do well.
As I said I lived in Romania (which is considered one of the poorest in EU) and even the poorest folks out there had some relatives in the rural areas that sent them organic fresh produce from time to time... they sent their kids there in the summer and they did pretty well... at least their kids grew healthy and ate organic food. Now... in case of Romania the GDP/capita is somewhere around 14k but in the cities (Bucharest, Timisoara, Brasov, Constanta and Cluj) the GDP/capita is around 30k... the difference in money is huge between the rural areas and the cities but those folks in the rural areas don't have it that bad... a lot of them have no income but they are self sustainable... they grow anything they need in their garden... if they don't... they sell some of the produce and with the money they buy it (and those money are not registered anywhere.. are as they say... black economy). You have to know that the so called "black economy" (aka money on which there are no taxes payed because no one declares them and the state is too incompetent to catch them) represent over 50% of the GDP in Eastern Europe. If everyone payed taxes or declared their activity most of the Eastern European countries should have GDPs with at least 50% higher!
True.

Also, the cost of living in South America is much lower than the cost of living in Eastern Europe. Argentina specially, has a very low cost of living (even compared to other South American countries). That element may play a difference in quality of life due to available disposable income.

Eastern Europe is not poor. A poor country is probably 1 that has a GDP Per capita lower than 10,000 U.S. dollars.

Romania has a GDP per capita of $11,500
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/ro.html

and Argentina has a GDP Per Capita of $14,700.

The argentine GDP expanded 7 percent in 2011 and the Romanian GDP shrinked 1 percent.

Romania was annexed to the European Union because Romania met the economic requirements. That means that Argentina could easily be annexed to the EU if the country were located in Europe.

I am not saying Romania is poor. A country with a GDP per capita of over 10,000 USD is middle income. Decent quality of life. Of course, now that Romania is a EU country its economy is going to grow in the next years.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:42 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,357,694 times
Quote:

I definitely won't disagree with you on that assessment lol..

Hollywood is notorious for alot of things...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World