Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:56 PM

230 posts, read 902,763 times

Advertisements

I think who is white is pretty difficult to define and pretty subjective, but to add to your list, I would definitely consider Armenians white and their country has a nominal per capita GDP of under 3,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 07:23 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,026,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Are arabs caucasian? I always thought they were "semitic"...
Arabic isn't truly caucasian. But, in the U.S., the U.S. census classifies them as 'white caucasian'. The U.S. census though has never been the best at classifying people. Lots of faults in the system.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:10 PM

61,313 posts, read 86,209,732 times
Just for the record: a white person is Caucasian but not all Caucasians are white.
Generally "White" person is considered to be someone of European ethnicity.
"Caucasian" is an anthropological term for a race of people which includes those native to Europe, the Middle East, North Africa, West Asia, parts of central Asia, and the Indian subcontinent.
The "Caucasians" actually display a wide range of skin color, and include many people often not though of as "White".

OP should define his question.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:22 PM

3,907 posts, read 6,713,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Just for the record: a white person is Caucasian but not all Caucasians are white.
Generally "White" person is considered to be someone of European ethnicity.
"Caucasian" is an anthropological term for a race of people which includes those native to Europe, the Middle East, North Africa, West Asia, parts of central Asia, and the Indian subcontinent.
The "Caucasians" actually display a wide range of skin color, and include many people often not though of as "White".

OP should define his question.

Thank you for clarifying that point! Now I see that "Caucasian" and "white" are not synonymous words...

So I think my doubt was about what are the countries in Europe with the lower GDP per capita... And I don't know if Georgia, Azerbaijan and Armenia should enter this list...

Old 04-05-2011, 08:44 PM

61,313 posts, read 86,209,732 times
^^^ ok, here is a list of European countries:
Albania
Andorra
Armenia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Belgium
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Georgia
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Italy
Kosovo
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Macedonia
Malta
Moldova
Monaco
Montenegro
The Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Russia
San Marino
Serbia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey
Ukraine
United Kingdom
Vatican City (Holy See)

Armenia and Cyprus are considered European countries, though geographically they are located in Asia territory. Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Russia and Turkey are considered part of both Europe and Asia.

Last edited by elnina; 04-05-2011 at 08:57 PM..

Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,681,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Very interesting information. Thank you. But isn't E1b1b1a some kind of "semitic" haplogroup which entered Europe during the Arab expansion in the Middle Ages?

]
I'm Y-DNA Haplogroup G---I have blue eyes, but the countries with the heaviest concentration of G are India and Iran. G migrants mutated 10-20K years ago north of Arabia, and then split off, carrying the DNA toward both Asia and Europe.

---------------

Elnina, you left out some, including Isle of Man, the Channel Islands, Gibraltar, Faeroe Islands, Transdniester, Turkish Northern Cyprus, the Sovereign Military Order of Malta, and Sealand, site of the pirate radio station.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-06-2011 at 12:12 AM..

Old 04-06-2011, 01:14 AM

230 posts, read 902,763 times
So I guess Ralph Nader is now not white by this definition? Go figure, he could have been Obama before Obama. Really even where Europe ends and Asia begins is really arbitrary. These lines are not so cut and dry as people would like to believe. My mom, while she was growing up in the South of the US, for example, never thought of Italians and Greeks as white. She still has a hard time considering them on the same level of whiteness as our WASP family.

Last edited by nesne; 04-06-2011 at 01:49 AM..

Old 04-06-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
So I guess Ralph Nader is now not white by this definition? Go figure, he could have been Obama before Obama. Really even where Europe ends and Asia begins is really arbitrary. These lines are not so cut and dry as people would like to believe. My mom, while she was growing up in the South of the US, for example, never thought of Italians and Greeks as white. She still has a hard time considering them on the same level of whiteness as our WASP family.
I think skin color is a very subjective definition, every person has its own criteria to define the skin color of someone else. Here in Brazil, the skin color is self-declared in the Census. Only you can tell what is the color of your own skin, not the Census worker.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:48 AM

Back to the GDP topic...

Armenia has a GDP per capita of US$ 2,676.

Question: Are armenians "white Europeans"?

Kosovo has a GDP per capita of US$ 3,164.

Question: Is Kosovo a country? The independence of Kosovo is internationally recognized?

Old 04-06-2011, 07:56 AM

Bosnia has a GDP per capita of US$ 4,157.

So far the list is:

Country - GDP per capita (US$)

Moldova - 1,503

Armenia(?) - 2,676

Ukraine - 3,002

Kosovo(?) - 3,164

Bosnia - 4,157

Macedonia - 4,634

Serbia - 5,262

Belarus - 5,607

Bulgaria - 5,955
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World