Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 09:20 AM

26,709 posts, read 22,327,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcricket300 View Post
White countries are all European countries + Russia.
I believe in the US they broaden this term of "whiteness," substituting it with term "Caucasians" ( which I've never heard while in Russia/Europe before)
By this definition Arabs for example become "whites," and so do Tadjics, apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Australia, USA, Canada?
They've been founded by the "whites."

Old 08-14-2015, 09:42 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,838,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I believe in the US they broaden this term of "whiteness," substituting it with term "Caucasians" ( which I've never heard while in Russia/Europe before)
By this definition Arabs for example become "whites," and so do Tadjics, apparently.

Yes as you can view on the link Egyptians and Lebanese are counted as white on the US census form.

http://www.pewresearch.org/files/201...censusrace.png

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...and-ethnicity/

Old 08-14-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
People in Armenia, Iran, Afghanistan and Tajikistan speak Indo-European languages, and they mostly look white.

Why don't you consider Armenia, Iran, Afghanistan and Tajikistan to be "white countries"?
Because they still look very different ( as a whole group of people) from, say, their neighbors - Russians, who are Eastern Europeans.

I suspect that the whole deal with Tadjics/Caucasians ( as in Georgians/Armenians) is a "grey zone," because those are all originally the territories of the ancient Persia. And it looks like ancient Persia was a mix between the local ethnicities (i.e. non-whites) with some mysterious "Aryans" which most likely were whites ( as in European "whites.")
That's why the broader term "Caucasians" has been invented as well, but for Europeans "whites" are still people of strictly European origin, and most likely even from Northern Europe to be more precise. The rest of darker skin people in Europe are probably not so much "whites," but they are undeniably Europeans.

Quote:
Why is an Iranian muslim less "white" than an Albanian muslim?
Hypothetically speaking, Albanians most likely are a mixed group of people, because of their history. So some Albanians ( although the country is located in Europe) might not be "whiter" then some Iranians at all.
I suspect that Albanians are in the "grey zone" in this respect as well.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Yes as you can view on the link Egyptians and Lebanese are counted as white on the US census form.

http://www.pewresearch.org/files/201...censusrace.png

U.S. Census looking at big changes in how it asks about race and ethnicity | Pew Research Center
Yes, that's what I was talking about; yet by European standards I don't think that these people would have been considered "whites" since they are not Europeans.
"Whites" usually has connotation of "Europeans" I'd guess, even though some Europeans might not be all that "white," technically-speaking.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:53 AM

251 posts, read 394,307 times
Albanians are white people who converted to Islam during the Turkish occupation. They are descened from Illyrians, I think.

Bosnians are also white muslims. They're slavs.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:57 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,838,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yes, that's what I was talking about; yet by European standards I don't think that these people would have been considered "whites" since they are not Europeans.
"Whites" usually has connotation of "Europeans" I'd guess, even though some Europeans might not be all that "white," technically-speaking.

That's because there isn't a concensus on what the term means for some it only includes light skinned Europeans such as the stereo-types one find for people in Scandanavia for others it includes North Africans Middle Easterners North Indians and people from the Caucasus etc. It isn't a very useful term.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:08 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,425,072 times
But the opening question is clear: what are the poorest white contries, and explained that are countries with over 80% of pop. caucasian. So that's it.
Not europeans, western, anglo-saxans, whatever...

Old 08-14-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
But the opening question is clear: what are the poorest white contries, and explained that are countries with over 80% of pop. caucasian. So that's it.
Not europeans, western, anglo-saxans, whatever...
Some of us happen to disagree that "Caucasian" and "white" is one and the same thing.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
That's because there isn't a concensus on what the term means for some it only includes light skinned Europeans such as the stereo-types one find for people in Scandanavia for others it includes North Africans Middle Easterners North Indians and people from the Caucasus etc. It isn't a very useful term.
That is correct; apparently there is no one ( agreed by everyone upon) theory of what "white/Caucasian" is.
I've been taught one thing in my childhood, then in the US they've introduced me to a different concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World