Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 02:35 PM

3,900 posts, read 6,699,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched wrench View Post
The results for many poor countries are skewed because most of the money is in the hands of a relatively small ruling class and their cronies. Those results cannot be compared to a country with more even distribution of income.

This, of course, is not absolute, but something to keep in mind when comparing countries.

Almost all poor countries have a small and corrupt ruling class, and a very bad distribution of income. Doesn't matter if it's a white, black, asian, or mixed-race country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 05:28 PM

512 posts, read 1,177,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Look to this picture of people in a bazar in the city of Edirne, Turkey (23 kliometers from Orestiada, Greece):

People look white to me...
Your pic doesn't open. Like I said, I don't recognize them as white people even if you give me a definition saying that they are

Of course there are also southern Europeans (Portugese, Spaniards, Italians, Greeks) who are darker in skin color.

Moderator cut: do not post copyrighted images

As you see, they whitest are people from Northern Europe: Ireland, UK, Scandinavia, France, Germany, Asutria, Benelux, Poland, Czech Rep., Slovakia, Baltics, Belarus, part of Russia... I've heard somewhere that the closer to Baltic and North seas the whiter the skin and bluer the eyes--seems to be true.

Turks simply look kinda Arab to me.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 04-24-2011 at 07:59 PM..

Old 04-15-2011, 08:05 PM

26,750 posts, read 22,265,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Many Turks are white, caucasian. Many are Asiatic. None are European except for perhaps a tiny portion that live on the Dacian side of the Bosphorus.

I was referring to this of course -

""Sick man of Europe" is a nickname that has been used to describe a European country experiencing a time of economic difficulty and/or impoverishment. The term was first used in the mid-19th century to describe the Ottoman Empire, but has since been applied at one time or another to nearly every other mid-to-large-sized country in Europe."

Sick man of Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-15-2011, 09:39 PM

3,900 posts, read 6,699,875 times
Strange thing... The photo disappeared from my post... Even if I try to quote.

Anyway, here is a link to the original photo from Edirne:

http://i.pbase.com/u44/dosseman/larg...0312131025.jpg

The Turkish people in this photo look white to me. And if they live just 23 kilometers from a Greek city, why are the Greeks Europeans but they are not? In my opinion, they are "white Europeans".

Maybe people find it hard to consider them as white Europeans because of religion, because they're Muslims. But Albanians and Bosnians are Muslims too, and they are surely white Europeans.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:19 PM

26,750 posts, read 22,265,185 times
Quote:

The Turkish people in this photo look white to me. And if they live just 23 kilometers from a Greek city, why are the Greeks Europeans but they are not? In my opinion, they are "white Europeans".

Maybe people find it hard to consider them as white Europeans because of religion, because they're Muslims. But Albanians and Bosnians are Muslims too, and they are surely white Europeans.
I'd like to have a look at your picture, but I can't access it either.
Can you save it to your computer may be and then try to post it here?
Now I think there is still a difference between Turks and say, Bosnians.
As far as I remember Balkans were conquered and submitted under Islam, while Turkey is the country that did it. ( Yes, I do think that association with Christian (i.e. European) culture) vs association with Islamic culture somehow influences the perception of what "White" or "European" is.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:42 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,183,302 times
Quote:

Well, to me, 'European' denotes a classification built more on culture than physical appearance. Theoretically, an African-American growing up in Boston (U.S.) could be considered more European (culturally) than an African living in a banlieue just 40km from Lyon.

So, while Albanians may be Muslim, I would take into consideration whether their other cultural practices make them more similar to their Christian, European neighbors, or say, Muslims living in Asia. Judging by Albanian immigrants I have seen in New York, they seemed to blend into the southern European immigrant community more so than the various Muslim groups from the Levant, north Africa, and Arabia.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:44 PM

10,111 posts, read 15,780,633 times
Don't know if its 80% but aren't most people from Argentina and Chile of European descent?

Old 04-23-2011, 06:36 PM

14 posts, read 38,721 times
As a Bulgarian,I think that most of the east-european countries are pretty much the same. There are not much people who can really enjoy life, the're are very few rich people and lots of coruption. Most of the people aren't very happy and their professional future isn't bright, so they tend to emigrate. Really with the average salary you can just pay the bills and feed a 4 member family, and still that's quite hard. So yes I think it's a poor country and it's high on my list of poor contries. (I was writing about Bulgaria)

Old 04-24-2011, 12:22 PM

278 posts, read 620,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Don't know if its 80% but aren't most people from Argentina and Chile of European descent?
Argentina is 97% unmixed European (due to the argentina european-only inmigration policy they used to have).

Chile is very european too.

Both countries have a higher GDP per capita than many eastern european countries, and the benefit of a lower cost of living. So, I do not think you should be suggesting than Chile and Argentina are poor. In fact, they have a very nice quality of life. Universal healthcare and a low cost terciary education (similar to europe).

Last edited by Venezuelan; 04-24-2011 at 12:33 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 06:46 AM

4,439 posts, read 6,949,148 times
poorest would be Modolvia and Kossovo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World