Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:58 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,458,443 times

Advertisements

Australia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 11:08 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,842,561 times
I'm not quite sure how this is going to go. I foresee China imploding in the near future. They are in the middle of a property bubble of the likes we've never seen before. There are whole ghost cities in China now, because China's economy (from what I gather) is slowing but using construction to keep its GDP numbers up. The result is massive overbuilding and whole new ghost cities. Wages are not keeping up with inflation, and people are being displaced to put in luxury high rises that most Chinese cannot afford on a $6000 a year income. I think China is the biggest hype in modern times.

Australia? Hmm, that's a contender, but they are too exposed to China. Australia escaped the recession and is growing because there is a large Chinese demand for Australia's minerals and other commodities. Plus Australia is going through a massive property bubble right now that's going to pop in the next few years, and if China slows down or blows up, it'll drag Australia with it. Add to the fact that Australia has a pretty small population and increasing the population anymore will prove to be very very straining. Australia simply does not have the water capacity to support many more people unless they drop the whole global warming BS and start supplying their capitals with more and more desalinated water because rainfall is unreliable in that country. One year is massive drought, the next year is massive flooding. Not very good. Unlike Canada, which has more water than it knows what to do with.

Canada I think might be a stronger contender than Australia. It's population is larger, there are no water problems to speak of in Canada, so that means there is huge amounts of land to develop if need be. Plus Canada has one thing that Australia lacks, and that is large quantities of oil. Canada has the advantage of petro dollars, which gives its economy a reliable floor to stand on. What's the problem with Canada? Well, it's too cold for most people's tastes. Plus they are having a property bubble right now I believe, but not at the level of Australia (except the Vancouver area).

Brazil, is hugely hyped as well. It has too many crime problems, and rife with political corruption (the number one killer of the economy and the source of most of a country's problems). I think Brazil is best summed up as, as one person put it: Brazil is a country of the future, and it always will be.

I put Mexico in the same category as Brazil. These 2 countries, if they ever solve their political corruption like Chile has, can give many countries a run for their money. But I doubt this will happen. This is Brazil and Mexico we are talking about, after all.

As for Russia, I think it's saving grace is oil and natural gas. I can't think of anything Russia is significant for nowadays, except their space program is 2nd to NASA. Russia does have crime problems and growing political corruption, which will cripple it the same way it has to most of Latin America.

In short, is there a country that can surpass the U.S.? I don't think so with my above analysis. The U.S. is best positioned to be number 1 in the coming years, unless we don't get our basket case spending under control.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:10 PM

5,037 posts, read 7,453,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
Australia
As much as i would like to think so, we will never have enough people to be considered a world power.

To answer the question i think the world will sort of balance it self out for the next 100 years or so, where their is no particular "place to be" and i very much doubt you will ever get another nation dominating the economic world the way the USA did in the 1950's to 80's. At least not for the next few hundred years any way.

As for good up and commers, Brazil as mentioned, also a the poorer Nations fo South east asia such as Vietnam and Thailand.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:54 PM

688 posts, read 1,243,975 times
Asia and / or Canada, IMO

Old 04-13-2011, 11:57 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,702,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

China will likely be a great place to live for the next 30 years, but if you value freedoms you take for granted, it may not be such a great place. After 30 years, I think we will see a reckoning there.
Yes, we will see a reckoning, alright. We will see that, when given a choice between Freedom and Bread, Freedom is a poor second.

How much of your freedom do you really use? It's easy to say "I have freedom, which is great because I have money too", But which are you REALLY willing to give up? Globally, the USA is, even now, barely above average in terms of how much real freedom its citizens enjoy the advantage of.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-14-2011 at 12:12 AM..

Old 04-13-2011, 11:59 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,850,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
Asia and / or Canada, IMO
asia huh?

Old 04-14-2011, 12:08 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,900,902 times
Mars

Old 04-14-2011, 12:37 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I put Mexico in the same category as Brazil. These 2 countries, if they ever solve their political corruption like Chile has, can give many countries a run for their money. But I doubt this will happen. This is Brazil and Mexico we are talking about, after all.
I agree that Mexico won't be the country of the future.

But, IF they were to completely open up to immigration the same way that the U.S. is open to immigration, that would be interesting.

Plenty of Americans are looking to 'emigrate' to somewhere different, but in close proximity. Canada is too cold, and in some ways too similar and equally expensive.

Mexico has amazing coastline, beaches, dense walkable cities, just a ton to offer. If there were some kind of open immigration or encouraged immigration, or 'we're the new land for immigrants' like Canada is promoting itself.

It could make Mexico into a very, very, very interesting place. But, I don't see it happening. I think the money is such a small group of people's hands there, and they hope to keep that money there. They'd do everything imagineable from having any contendors to compete with. Opening that kind of immigration up, would just invite a lot of game changers into the country.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:10 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,850,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I agree that Mexico won't be the country of the future.

But, IF they were to completely open up to immigration the same way that the U.S. is open to immigration, that would be interesting.

Plenty of Americans are looking to 'emigrate' to somewhere different, but in close proximity. Canada is too cold, and in some ways too similar and equally expensive.

Mexico has amazing coastline, beaches, dense walkable cities, just a ton to offer. If there were some kind of open immigration or encouraged immigration, or 'we're the new land for immigrants' like Canada is promoting itself.

It could make Mexico into a very, very, very interesting place. But, I don't see it happening. I think the money is such a small group of people's hands there, and they hope to keep that money there. They'd do everything imagineable from having any contendors to compete with. Opening that kind of immigration up, would just invite a lot of game changers into the country.

You make interesting points on Mexico, but I agree with you that I just don't see it happening. I do however think that if they clear up their violence problems in 50 years or so that it could become something like Miami, not much industry or jobs, but attracting people that are already rich and create a bigger tourism industry outside of just the resorts armed with machine guns.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:55 AM

643 posts, read 1,120,146 times
You say Mexico but apart from a few holiday resorts i would not go near the country, i mean San Diego and El Paso are the closest i would go towards Mexico. They just have so many problems and when American high command say the Cartels make Al Qaeda look like nothing (or something along those lines) it shows how big their problem is.

Australia is one of the driest places on Earth and their other problem is that people on;y live round the coastline due to the massive desert.

For those saying China will slow down eventually

China posts 1st quarterly trade deficit since 2004 - Business - World business - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42515917/ns/business-world_business/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World