Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 05:05 PM

643 posts, read 1,120,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Depends entirely on what you expect to find and not to find in your place to be
It's a broad statement but i think everyone want a strong economy, low crime, high wages compared to general cost.

You know the stuff i mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 05:13 PM

27 posts, read 49,638 times
If you ask me Heaven

Old 04-20-2011, 06:28 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
East Asia is gonna dominate within 10 years.
In a positive way don't get me wrong.

Japan, South Korea, East China, Hong Kong can't beat that.
Orgasm of every Metropolis-lover
So true. These are places you can live and be car free as well, which means your money goes significantly further. Plus even more amenities that a North American can ever imagine within walking distance, and always safe 24-7.

Plus, for native English speakers, there is an enormous demand for us to be in their countries and working, living, etc. We speak English, and that's the international language, so boundless opportunities exist for us here.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:38 AM

643 posts, read 1,120,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
So true. These are places you can live and be car free as well, which means your money goes significantly further. Plus even more amenities that a North American can ever imagine within walking distance, and always safe 24-7.

Plus, for native English speakers, there is an enormous demand for us to be in their countries and working, living, etc. We speak English, and that's the international language, so boundless opportunities exist for us here.

Where exactly is 'here', East Asia?

Old 04-21-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
Where exactly is 'here', East Asia?
I'm in Japan, but this part of Asia would also include China and Korea.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:43 AM

9,245 posts, read 14,812,448 times
quote: "In America, children must be raised according to exacting government regulations or community standards, and the slightest deviation, if only for a moment, can result in imprisonment of the parent, or at the very least, having the child confiscated by the state and placed in foster care."

Really? I know Texas is a police state- but this is far from reality in most parts of the US. In fact, I see a ton of kids who could use a little intervention.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:32 AM

25,908 posts, read 24,626,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
It's a broad statement but i think everyone want a strong economy, low crime, high wages compared to general cost.

You know the stuff i mean.
You will find places that meet those criteria all over the world. When you got a good job, life is good almost anywhere as you can afford to live in decent, safe neighborhoods, buy all the stuff you need, etc.

But yes, the ratio between income and cost is key.

In my opinion the more egalitarian a place is, the better. Basically that means a society dominated by a strong middle class and as few poor and rich people as possible.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
But yes, the ratio between income and cost is key.

In my opinion the more egalitarian a place is, the better. Basically that means a society dominated by a strong middle class and as few poor and rich people as possible.
So true.

Interesting when I meet a lot of Americans who are trying to find the 'cheapest' place to live in the world. However, cheap places mean that everyone you can imagine is going to be bumping up the prices for you, trying to increase the wealth in their own pockets. It can be endlessly frustrating to be perceived as a walking ATM machine with all your daily encounters.

Because of that, I've come to the conclusion that the more income equality, the better. Part of the reason I quite enjoy Japan, and South Korea when I lived there, is that everyone treats you on level ground financially/fiscally. So, no overcharging, no one is expecting you to pay for all things for all reasons, etc. People just let you do your thing.

There is a lot to be said for that.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:26 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,860,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
Chile is getting all the props lately....
They say it's like the US in the 50's.
Strong, stable government, lowest corruption in latin america, zero corruption in the police force,etc.

strong pro-business political leadership....leaning towards libertarian.
Infrastructure is basically first world for the most part.

cons are it's distance from just about anywhere else....
Argentina=no way from what i've read. It's getting worse in terms of crime, poverty, pollution, etc.
Things can change.

the US in the 50's wasn't so great for all Americans...

Old 04-22-2011, 12:36 PM

25,908 posts, read 24,626,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
So true.

Interesting when I meet a lot of Americans who are trying to find the 'cheapest' place to live in the world. However, cheap places mean that everyone you can imagine is going to be bumping up the prices for you, trying to increase the wealth in their own pockets. It can be endlessly frustrating to be perceived as a walking ATM machine with all your daily encounters.

Because of that, I've come to the conclusion that the more income equality, the better. Part of the reason I quite enjoy Japan, and South Korea when I lived there, is that everyone treats you on level ground financially/fiscally. So, no overcharging, no one is expecting you to pay for all things for all reasons, etc. People just let you do your thing.

There is a lot to be said for that.
Yes. Some of the recent threads in the World category sound as if Americans tired of their own country are looking for a new Eldorado, where they can make it big, a new California so to speak. But they are not really willing to lead a standard life typical of countries such as Brazil. They want to go to a place abroad, but continue to lead American lives there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World