Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 03:53 PM

10,617 posts, read 15,936,250 times

Advertisements

I'm a 20-year old guy who loves to travel alone, going to big cities, meet different people, enjoy the nightlife etc.

fun fact: i'm like the only person in Holland who never have been to Spain.

Places i already visited:
Tokyo, Japan (Alone)
Singapore, Singapore (Alone)
London, England (Alone)
Paris, France
Rhone-Alpes, France
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany (Alone)
Antalya Province, Turkey
Tirol, Austria
Entire Florida
Entire Holland (Alone)
Entire Belgium (Alone)
Luxembourg

I'm trying to go on holiday twice a year (April & October), 30-40 days combined.

I'm going to Tokyo, Japan (Great experience, very safe) again next week but for October i was looking at Bangkok-Pattaya but don't know much about Thailand and the safety etc.

Hong Kong, Seoul, Hawaii, California looks nice too.
The world is just to big for 1 life

Eastern Europe, Africa, Central America, South America, Central Asia, Western Asia is not a option for me just yet, looks to dangerous/to poor.
Oh yeah i also don't like places with a lot of bugs/rats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 03:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,832,320 times
everywhere is fun

Old 04-21-2011, 05:59 PM

25,892 posts, read 24,596,386 times
Basically, the only unusual place for a European to go to is Tokyo. All the other places you have been to so far are standard as they are either in Europe, or standard tourist destinations (Singapore, Antalya).

Go to Uruguay, it is probably the safest place in South America, as safe as Europe.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:01 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,832,320 times
Why not go to greece?

Old 04-21-2011, 07:39 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,006,857 times
I love traveling on my own....crave it. You can do anything you want whenever you want, meet and talk to anyone you want, at anytime.

Generally speaking, being caucasian, I find if I'm in caucasian-dominated countries, it's more boring on your own. You don't stand out, or appear unique or interesting....so, if I were visiting L.A. for example, I doubt I'd be getting in many casual conversations with people....so better to be with a friend or two, to make the fun.

But abroad, it's all good! Europe is another of those places that I'd rather be with someone.

By the way, to the OP, Thailand is not dangerous at all. South America is, but it's a great place to explore on your own...I did for ten months. The most fun is learning Spanish and trying to use it all the time. That's what makes that particular trip great if solo. If your with other people, doubtful you'll be practicing your SPanish much at all, unless you know the most Spanish of your group. But than still speaking in English with most of your friends, so kind of defeats the fun of traveling down there. In my opinion.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:03 AM

43,330 posts, read 44,045,471 times
New York City is a great place to visit alone. There is lots to do and great public transportation 24/7.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:52 PM

2,923 posts, read 5,589,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I'm going to Tokyo, Japan (Great experience, very safe) again next week but for October i was looking at Bangkok-Pattaya but don't know much about Thailand and the safety etc.
pattaya is only good for bargirls. if you want straight girls stick to bangkok and go to other beach destinations.

not saying pattaya doesn't have a lot to offer, i personally love the place, but the only reason to go there is a sex binge.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:01 PM

61,243 posts, read 86,123,788 times
Travel alone sucks! There is no one to share the experience...

Old 04-22-2011, 07:06 PM

2,923 posts, read 5,589,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Travel alone sucks! There is no one to share the experience...
travelling with other people has its drawbacks as well. you can't always do everything you want, you have to make more compromises regarding attractions and stuff to appease your travel partner.

i personally prefer the freedom of travelling alone. if i get lonely it's not difficult to team up with other travellers. it's difficult to ditch an travel partner however.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:48 PM

254 posts, read 1,204,501 times
Pattaya is in Thailand right? Do you think an american could retire to Pattaya or the beach areas with only $32,000 a year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World