U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-25-2012, 11:26 PM

4 posts, read 12,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
China, Cuba, North Korea, Myanmar, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, Yemen. The crime rate is very near zero in those countries, which are by far the safest countries in the world in which to walk the streets in the middle of the night or go out and leave your house unlocked. Singapore would also be on the list.

The "crime rate" as compiled officially and widely published, is not at all a reliable indicator. Many countries with very high incidences of actual crime, such as Colombia, Zambia and Papua New Gunea, express very low crime rates to international agencies. Those figures are wildly unreliable, owing to a number of factors, such as the definition or reportable crime, the statistical classification of crimes, and the fact that in many crime-ridden countries, nobody reports crimes to the police, who are widely perceived as the enemy, and are to be avoided at all cost, and in fact the people most likely to commit crimes.

The true "Arab Countries" (as opposed to Muslim or Arabic-speaking countries like Pakistan or Egypt) have extremely low crime rates. Having lived for two years in Jordan, I can attest to that. Crime, particularly theft and robbery, were virtually unknown in that country. It was perfectly safe to leave belongings )or your keys)in your unlocked car. Alcoholism is nearly zero, as are the kinds of crimes associated with drunkenness, although people did get into fights for other reasons. The risk of rape was considered to be zero, as the penalty was immediate execution without the troublesome involvement of the police. Murder was essentially a civil crime, to be settled according to cultural traditions between the two families.

Large Arab cities are like small towns, everybody knows everybody, there are witnesses everywhere, suspects are guessed immediately, the police are thorough, and the punishment for crimes is severe.
I doubt, don't you think it's the other way around. Some of those are on the list of terrorism.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 04:59 AM

1 posts, read 9,520 times
Default crime rate in muslim countries

sir.
I need to know the exact data and rate of crime in muslim countries

Old 12-30-2012, 06:58 AM

190 posts, read 286,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Often true, but not always. For 2000, the most recent year they seem to include Scandinavian nations, they listed Hungary, Ethiopia, Romania, and Belarus as having among the ten lowest "Gini Indexes" of economic inequality.

International Human Development Indicators - UNDP

Hungary and Romania's homicide rates are lower than the US's, but Belarus and Ethiopia have murder rates above ours. On top of that the fairly economically unequal Singapore is listed as low in homicide.

You might think the disparities in wealth would still make Singapore have a high robbery rate, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Nor is it the case that all highly unequal Latin American nations have high robbery rates as Panama or Paraguay aren't too bad. Although the relationship with robbery might be closer as Belarus, Hungary, and Romania all appear to have a lower robbery rate than the US or Australia while the top rates do seem to be in Latin America.

I think it's a combination of factors, income disparity being one. The others are the amount of poverty (you can have low income disparity yet high amounts of poverty), organized crime, and the prevalence of drugs and alcohol.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 AM

3,720 posts, read 3,015,037 times
Usa lol

Old 12-30-2012, 12:13 PM

12,266 posts, read 7,394,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Usa lol
Some areas are pretty safe, like New England.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,215 times
Default I lived in Jordan too.

I lived in Jordan 1998 to 2000, it felt safe as I witnesses people leaving there cars running, young people walking late at night through out the country, and businesses opening through out the night. as crazy as it sounds but I never felt as safe as I did in that middle eastern country..... I now live near Baltimore so go figure....

Old 06-23-2013, 03:32 AM

6 posts, read 8,506 times
New Zealand.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:01 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,026,663 times
Here we have the map, dark= high crime rates and light low ones: It seems that Sweden is not in the lowest places in Europe, same as UK, France etc. In Russia it is very high.
In Greenland it is high too, same as Brazil, Myanmar, Mexico etc.
The lowest: Germany, Austria, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Norway, New Zealand etc.

Last edited by Catbelle; 06-23-2013 at 06:36 AM..

Old 06-23-2013, 06:25 AM

3,544 posts, read 4,817,429 times
^ That's Burma that's dark colored, not Thailand

Old 06-23-2013, 06:36 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,026,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ That's Burma that's dark colored, not Thailand
Aha! true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World