U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 11:27 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,042,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by avondrood View Post
ah, me just love useless comparisons.
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 02:47 PM

999 posts, read 1,395,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
Like most, I do not at all agree with the Paris-L.A. comparison. Two véry different cities in my book.
Here's my list:

New York - London
Washington D.C. - Brussels
Chicago - Frankfurt
New Orleans - Marseille
Pittsburgh - Sheffield
Seattle - Hamburg
Albuquerque - Sevilla
Boston - Geneva
San Francisco - Amsterdam

Ah, me just love useless comparisons. They color life .
Funny, I have heard that before and I agree.

I think they are similar in that they are international cities but not too international, are financial centers but not the premiere financial center of their countries, are well known cities around the world but then people really don't know too much about them. What I mean is if someone asks you where is Chicago and Frankfurt located they could probably each tell you in what countries and a few things, but other than that they wouldn't know much. I really can't think of another city that could compare to Chicago in Europe other than Frankfurt.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:05 PM

193 posts, read 642,828 times
there are some similiarities between NYC and Berlin regarding the art scene and the vibe, however, you cannot compare US and European cities because they are too different...

Old 05-13-2011, 03:15 PM

7,972 posts, read 9,744,023 times
never been to these cities, but maybe LA and milan and new york and london for sure

Old 05-17-2011, 06:48 PM

44,667 posts, read 43,206,294 times
Actually, there is a thread just like this one:http://www.city-data.com/forum/world...ml#post9203869

Old 05-19-2011, 03:43 AM

11,685 posts, read 13,114,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
I did a search, thinking something like this would have already been done, but apparentally not: i know that europe is made up of many countries while the U.S. is one very large country, but the european countries are pretty small (only a couple surpass the size of alaska or even texas, it seems) and you can't really compare just one country with the U.S. So what would u think are the european equivalents to american cities? Here are the 3 most obvious:

New York : London (largest city in europe excluding russia, major financial and historic center)

Los Angleles: Paris (fashion capitals, famous artsy cities and famous setting for films)

Miami: Barcelona (mega-resort cities most famous as vacation destinations)

So what else would u say are equivalent? I have a lot more, but i'd like to see if the above are debatable.
Equivalents? None.....................but some like Miami and Barcelona have you ROTF they are so far off.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:33 AM

1,689 posts, read 2,103,997 times
Besides

London - New york city
Atlanta - Frankfurt am Main

I think it's hard to compare!!!!!

I think it's easier to compare American cities with Asian cities than with European cities.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:55 AM

3,410 posts, read 8,494,167 times
European cities can be compared to Northeast, Midwest, or Northwestern cities easier than Southern cities, but here is what I came up with:

NYC-London
Chicago-Paris or Moscow
Seattle-Stockholm
Portland-Dublin
Los Angeles-Milan or Madrid
San Diego-Barcelona
Washington DC-Rome
Atlanta-Frankfurt
Denver-Zurich
Detroit-Warsaw
New Orleans-Amsterdam
Minneapolis-Helsinki
Milwaukee-Munich
Miami-Ibiza

Old 05-19-2011, 01:24 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,345,061 times
There is also a certain similarity between the entire state of California and Portugal:
- similar shape (long extension from north to south)
- desert-like in the SE
- long west coasts full of fishing and resort towns, mountains in the hinterland
- location in the SE of the two continents
- two hubs, one in the N and in the S
- wine growing in the north
- earthquake-prone (Lisbon was destroyed just like SF)
- regarding cities, also two multi-city hubs each, one in the S and one in the N:

N California: SF/Oakland separated only by water, nearby San Jose, the tech center
N Portugal: Porto/Vila Nova de Gaia separated only by water, nearby Braga, the tech center

S California: LA (about 1 in 4 Californians)
S Portugal: Lisbon (about 1 in 4 Portuguese)

In both countries there is a growing urban center south of the southern hub, San Diego, which might one day "grow together" with LA, and Setubal, which might one day grow together with Lisbon.

- both countries have almost identical iconic bridges, Oakland Bay Bridge vs Ponte 25 de Abril, even built by the same company, this is the Portuguese one
http://www.travel-in-portugal.com/ph...ril-bridge.jpg

Old 05-19-2011, 02:31 PM

44,667 posts, read 43,206,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
European cities can be compared to Northeast, Midwest, or Northwestern cities easier than Southern cities, but here is what I came up with:

NYC-London
Chicago-Paris or Moscow
Seattle-Stockholm
Portland-Dublin
Los Angeles-Milan or Madrid
San Diego-Barcelona
Washington DC-Rome
Atlanta-Frankfurt
Denver-Zurich
Detroit-Warsaw
New Orleans-Amsterdam
Minneapolis-Helsinki
Milwaukee-Munich
Miami-Ibiza
Maybe, but I have my own ideas.

Seattle,WA - Oslo, Norway (Scandinavian influences,maritime city, located in a fjord-like location)
Los Angeles,CA - Barcelona,Spain (on the coast, Spanish influences, large city, Mediterranean climate)
San Diego,CA - Catania,Italy (similar climate, military influence, maritime location, some Italian influences exists in San Diego)
Washington,DC - Brussels, Belgium(diplomat city)
Milwaukee - Bremen (major producers of beer, located near water, German influences)
Miami - Malaga (Spanish influences, beaches, similar climates)
Detroit,MI - Kragujevac, Serbia (Kragujevac is home to the Yugo, as Detroit is home to Ford. Both cities were major weapons manufacturing cities, both cities have gone through hard times).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or