Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 07:32 AM

6,207 posts, read 11,811,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Maybe, but I have my own ideas.

Seattle,WA - Oslo, Norway (Scandinavian influences,maritime city, located in a fjord-like location)
Los Angeles,CA - Barcelona,Spain (on the coast, Spanish influences, large city, Mediterranean climate)
San Diego,CA - Catania,Italy (similar climate, military influence, maritime location, some Italian influences exists in San Diego)
Washington,DC - Brussels, Belgium(diplomat city)
Milwaukee - Bremen (major producers of beer, located near water, German influences)
Miami - Malaga (Spanish influences, beaches, similar climates)
Detroit,MI - Kragujevac, Serbia (Kragujevac is home to the Yugo, as Detroit is home to Ford. Both cities were major weapons manufacturing cities, both cities have gone through hard times).
You know what's funny is that I live in Catania now (stationed in Sigonella), and I've been thinking of a good match for Catania. The coastal area really reminds me of San Diego (specifically La Jolla) with the climate, palm trees, hills, and even the houses look similar. However the city of San Diego is much larger. Sevilla, Spain could also be a good match for San Diego, for similar reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 08:35 AM

72,812 posts, read 62,121,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
You know what's funny is that I live in Catania now (stationed in Sigonella), and I've been thinking of a good match for Catania. The coastal area really reminds me of San Diego (specifically La Jolla) with the climate, palm trees, hills, and even the houses look similar. However the city of San Diego is much larger. Sevilla, Spain could also be a good match for San Diego, for similar reasons.
If it comes down to size, Sevilla would be a good match.

I have seen similar threads, and for some reason, it's difficult to find a match for Atlanta. So far, these were the cities I came up with: Frankfurt, Warsaw, and Bucharest.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:53 AM

6,207 posts, read 11,811,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If it comes down to size, Sevilla would be a good match.

I have seen similar threads, and for some reason, it's difficult to find a match for Atlanta. So far, these were the cities I came up with: Frankfurt, Warsaw, and Bucharest.
Naples, Italy might also be a good match for San Diego, since it has a naval shipyard. Not familiar with Warsaw or Bucharest, but I think Frankfurt would be the best match. I've also heard Manchester, UK being compared to Atlanta.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Naples, Italy might also be a good match for San Diego, since it has a naval shipyard. Not familiar with Warsaw or Bucharest, but I think Frankfurt would be the best match. I've also heard Manchester, UK being compared to Atlanta.
I always thought of Naples being a better match for Philadelphia. Compared to San Diego, Naples is a bit more rough and tumble.

Warsaw and Atlanta are both "phoenix" cities in their own ways. Atlanta was literally burned to the ground and had to rise from the ashes.

Bucharest and Atlanta have some parallels too. Both cities lost a great deal of old architecture from war and the tearing down of buildings in later days. Bucharest went through "ceausima" in the 1960's and 70's when Nicolae Ceausescu torn down alot of old building from the past. Atlanta has been tearing down alot of old architecture since the 1960's in a mad dash to be part of the "New South".

I've never heard of Manchester being compared to Atlanta.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:07 PM

16 posts, read 13,263 times
Default What are the U.S. - E.U. city equivalents?

I was thinking about finding equivalents between some of US and EU cities.
From my observation I would say:

New York City - Paris (both are very unique, typical for each continent, most travelled, similar signs - Eiffel Tower/Empire State Building, macarons/cupcakes...)

Los Angeles - Barcelona (both have mediterranean climate, beaches, Spanish influence/language, hills around the city, nature, both are kind of "dirty", palms..)

Washington DC - Brussels (political districts)

Las Vegas - Amsterdam (people traveling there for fun, party, drugs)

Miami - Monaco (both are pretentious, have beaches and sea, expensive cars, nice weather)

Chicago - London (rainy and cold, "sad" cities)

San Francisco - Rome (typical American/European living, quite, beautiful, a lot to see and do)

Do you agree? what's your opinion? any other equivalents?

Old 09-16-2014, 12:51 AM

10,651 posts, read 15,922,940 times
San Francisco - Lisbon
Honolulu - Benidorm
Minneapolis - Frankfurt

Old 09-16-2014, 04:30 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,976,838 times
I just can't think of them as equivalents on any level. There are just way too many significant differences.

I mean, you could connect due to 'political power' or 'financial power', and would make complete sense. But the essense of the respective cities, just too different.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:32 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,976,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvelvet View Post
Chicago - London (rainy and cold, "sad" cities)
Like this, I've never heard anyone refer to Chicago as a rainy, "sad" city.

Windy and fricken' cold, yes. Rainy and sad, no. Seattle would be the rainy "sad" city, not Chicago. But I'd never say Seattle and London are equivalents though, despite that connection.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Like this, I've never heard anyone refer to Chicago as a rainy, "sad" city.

Windy and fricken' cold, yes. Rainy and sad, no. Seattle would be the rainy "sad" city, not Chicago. But I'd never say Seattle and London are equivalents though, despite that connection.
Seattle,WA- Bergen, Norway: Both cities are in fjord-like landscapes, mild, rainy climates, mountains nearby, Seattle has some Scandinavian influences.

Honolulu,Hawaii - Ponta Delgada,Portugal(Azores) : Both cities are in archipelagos that are part of their prospective nations. Both are tropical in landscape and climate. The islands they are on are volcanic. Hawaii has a sizable population of Portuguese descendants who hail from the Azores.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
San Francisco - Lisbon
Honolulu - Benidorm
Minneapolis - Frankfurt
I can see the San Francisco-Lisbon connection. However I don't get the other two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World