U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 03:32 PM

44,578 posts, read 43,115,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvelvet View Post
I was thinking about finding equivalents between some of US and EU cities.
From my observation I would say:

New York City - Paris (both are very unique, typical for each continent, most travelled, similar signs - Eiffel Tower/Empire State Building, macarons/cupcakes...)

Los Angeles - Barcelona (both have mediterranean climate, beaches, Spanish influence/language, hills around the city, nature, both are kind of "dirty", palms..)

Washington DC - Brussels (political districts)

Las Vegas - Amsterdam (people traveling there for fun, party, drugs)

Miami - Monaco (both are pretentious, have beaches and sea, expensive cars, nice weather)

Chicago - London (rainy and cold, "sad" cities)

San Francisco - Rome (typical American/European living, quite, beautiful, a lot to see and do)

Do you agree? what's your opinion? any other equivalents?
I can agree with the Washington DC - Brussels, and Los Angeles-Barcelona connections. However, I have to differ on the other ones.

New York City, I would compare more to London. It seems cliché, but New York has more in commom with London. Big financial center, famous subway systems, famous for its taxis.

New Orleans goes better with Amsterdam. People traveling there for fun, parties, and to do crazy things. And New Orleans, unlike Las Vegas, is more moist, and built out of a marsh-like geography, both are below sea level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 04:15 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,375 times
Blackvelvet<<<I would disagree that Chicago and London you liken to SAD cities as a comment. London is one of the worlds sought after tourist destinations in the world. Chicago is called the most American city. Also Chicago HAS Beaches. But yes, cold winters.

Below is a panorama of North Ave Beach Chicago with Skyline.
Photo by Dave Herholz on Wikipedia and flicker. You can zoom in on this very high definition picture

Old 09-16-2014, 04:27 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,458,317 times
AMERICAN CITIES - EUROPEAN CITIES

New York city - London

Boston - Dublin

Philadelphia - Manchester

Washington DC - Paris

San Francisco - Brighton

New Orleans - Nice

Miami - Alicante

Old 09-16-2014, 04:59 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,375 times
P London<< You left Chicago out? Just curious. After all it is the US 3rd largest. Also I do agree with Washington DC and Paris. Because of the layout of the cities.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:03 PM

2,880 posts, read 5,072,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
I did a search, thinking something like this would have already been done, but apparentally not: i know that europe is made up of many countries while the U.S. is one very large country, but the european countries are pretty small (only a couple surpass the size of alaska or even texas, it seems) and you can't really compare just one country with the U.S. So what would u think are the european equivalents to american cities? Here are the 3 most obvious:

New York : London (largest city in europe excluding russia, major financial and historic center)

Los Angleles: Paris (fashion capitals, famous artsy cities and famous setting for films)

Miami: Barcelona (mega-resort cities most famous as vacation destinations)

So what else would u say are equivalent? I have a lot more, but i'd like to see if the above are debatable.
Barca is nothing like Miami. LA is nothing like Paris.

Better off comparing neighborhoods or small towns. Georgetown. Marina Dist. Carmel, etc.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:11 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,458,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
P London<< You left Chicago out? Just curious. After all it is the US 3rd largest. Also I do agree with Washington DC and Paris. Because of the layout of the cities.
Chicago is a very North American city it doesn't seem to have any European characteristics though I did exclude Miami but only for its touristy character.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:38 PM

44,578 posts, read 43,115,486 times
Milwaukee,WI - Prague, Czech Republic
Baltimore,MD - Glasgow,Scotland
Boston,MA - Cork,Ireland

Old 09-17-2014, 05:43 AM

1,204 posts, read 714,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Blackvelvet<<<I would disagree that Chicago and London you liken to SAD cities as a comment. London is one of the worlds sought after tourist destinations in the world. Chicago is called the most American city. Also Chicago HAS Beaches. But yes, cold winters.

Below is a panorama of North Ave Beach Chicago with Skyline.
Photo by Dave Herholz on Wikipedia and flicker. You can zoom in on this very high definition picture
I thought Chicago was happier than New York, about on par with Los Angeles.

London is doing very well so I'd say it's a pretty happy place.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:01 AM

507 posts, read 335,628 times
Riding the CTA at night is extremely depressing. Otherwise Chi-town is a pretty upbeat city.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:51 AM

8,078 posts, read 6,230,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I can see the San Francisco-Lisbon connection. However I don't get the other two.
Minneapolis-Frankfurt
https://www.google.fr/search?q=capel...ed=0CAcQ_AUoAg
https://www.google.fr/search?q=capel...=westend+tower

Honolulu-Benidorm
http://www.hawaiimagazine.com/images...t/Honolulu.jpg
http://content.lowcostholidays.com/D...e_225_1_v8.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or