U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 01:34 PM

449 posts, read 905,185 times

Advertisements

I did a search, thinking something like this would have already been done, but apparentally not: i know that europe is made up of many countries while the U.S. is one very large country, but the european countries are pretty small (only a couple surpass the size of alaska or even texas, it seems) and you can't really compare just one country with the U.S. So what would u think are the european equivalents to american cities? Here are the 3 most obvious:

New York : London (largest city in europe excluding russia, major financial and historic center)

Los Angleles: Paris (fashion capitals, famous artsy cities and famous setting for films)

Miami: Barcelona (mega-resort cities most famous as vacation destinations)

So what else would u say are equivalent? I have a lot more, but i'd like to see if the above are debatable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 03:07 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,486,094 times
Amsterdam: San Franfrisco - very progressive cities and are very liberal

Old 05-11-2011, 03:28 PM

797 posts, read 1,327,744 times
Los Angeles: Paris
Paris is much more than Los Angeles. No comparison.

Miami: Barcelona
Barcelona does not strike me as a mega resort city. All of the Costa Brava (and really the whole Mediterranean coast) has been used for vacation for the last 50 years.

In fact, I do not think American cities can be compared with European ones.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:06 PM

5,599 posts, read 7,817,185 times
New Orleans - Naples. Both warm, chaotic, violent, disaster-prone, historic coastal cities who like their food and know how to party.

Also, Pittsburgh - Sheffield. Both former steel cities who've managed to turn themselves around since losing their industries, not particularly fashionable places, not known for good weather, working-class, sport-obsessed. The two cities are actually twinned in real life.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:43 PM

36 posts, read 81,546 times
I think Paris and LA could not be more polar opposites. I dont think either of those two cities have comparable counterparts on the other continent, theyre each unique.

Miami and Barcelona are both Latin in feel, energetic party towns and by the sea - yes, but Barcelona is also a city break brimming with art and subcultures, history and density, whereas Miami is a resort city - lowrise, sprawled out and modern, with great beaches and a whole load of car culture.

Its quite hard to compare either continents cities, but yeah, London and NY are quite comparable, but utterly different too.

Frankfurt and Seattle?

Old 05-12-2011, 12:33 AM

1,681 posts, read 3,046,201 times
From what I have seen I could say Atlanta and Frankfurt share alot of similarities (since both are major airport hubs and have a modern appearance).

Old 05-12-2011, 03:03 AM

5,599 posts, read 7,817,185 times
Cambridge - Cambridge. Both relatively historic towns dominated by world-class universities which educated some of the world's most influential people, the one in MA presumably named after the one in England, Harvard University was founded by a Cambridge graduate.

Also Washington DC - Brussels. Both major political centres, with cosmopolitan populations and masses of bureaucrats/politicians.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:27 AM

23 posts, read 77,378 times
[SIZE=2]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
New York : London (largest city in europe excluding russia, major financial and historic center)

Los Angleles: Paris (fashion capitals, famous artsy cities and famous setting for films)

Miami: Barcelona (mega-resort cities most famous as vacation destinations.
the problem for me is that these particular cities are absolutely unique and incomparable with any other.

i often compare san francisco and lyon, france. one was, the other is my hometown, and life in each is remarkably similar. but having also lived a couple of years in amsterdam i think other99's comparison may be better. i'm tempted to compare lyon to boston but don't know boston that well.

as Geggo says, it's not easy to compare US and european cities, the only american cities I know that even remotely feel european are SF, seattle and boston.
[/SIZE]

Old 05-13-2011, 08:22 AM

20,571 posts, read 25,620,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
From what I have seen I could say Atlanta and Frankfurt share alot of similarities (since both are major airport hubs and have a modern appearance).
Plus, nobody (outside of them) in their respective countries seems to like them very much!

Old 05-13-2011, 10:25 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,615,596 times
Like most, I do not at all agree with the Paris-L.A. comparison. Two véry different cities in my book.
Here's my list:

New York - London
Washington D.C. - Brussels
Chicago - Frankfurt
New Orleans - Marseille
Pittsburgh - Sheffield
Seattle - Hamburg
Albuquerque - Sevilla
Boston - Geneva
San Francisco - Amsterdam

Ah, me just love useless comparisons. They color life .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or