Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2016, 06:56 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
The problem was not that you challenged my opinions, but your first response was disrespectful. If you really wanted me to explain myself, then just ask the question and drop the rude comment.

Its not about thick skin, it just that I know that it is counterproductive to explain yourself to people, if they can't respect that people have a different opinion. So I gave you a vague response, you then threw another insult at me, and then I was done with you.
Except you weren't :P

Anyway, let's leave it there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 03:40 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,625 times
I've never been to a new city, much less an entire country that was boring. There's a few places that I have no burning desire to return to, but there is no country that "boring" would be an adjective I'd use if somebody asked.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:20 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
I've never been to a new city, much less an entire country that was boring. There's a few places that I have no burning desire to return to, but there is no country that "boring" would be an adjective I'd use if somebody asked.
I agree! I think a lot of people can't help but bring something to everywhere they go - themselves and their preconceptions, and that hinders their enjoyment of their visit. What you bring yourself is always part of it. You come expecting to see grey/brown buildings, miserable weather, unfriendly people, then you're bound to see just that and little else.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:48 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,649,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't think you were trying hard enough. the US is car dominated but it's easy to get around compared to some places like Iraq or Central Asia. Honestly, anyone who considers the USA boring is on another planet.

I've never been truly bored of a whole country, although I find parts of Australia pretty boring. The scenery is monotonous and the culture is very homogenous for miles and miles.

I'd imagine the Eastern European nations would bore me, though. Even Hungary or the Czech Republic doesn't thrill me much. Give me Italy, France, Greece, Britain ANYDAY. I'll try to visit if I can, though, I'll never discount a country merely on my opinion of it.
many tourists come from small monolithic countries they dont get how big and diverse america really is.put them in mid indiana and have them drive for hours and they will think america is nothing but cornfields,put them in neveda and the will think its all just desert.and yes you do need a car to get around.

Old 07-10-2020, 12:05 AM

72 posts, read 35,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Basically I think it's absurd to name a country boring. But certain places offer less free time activities than others. So they are less interesting.

Sometimes I think about what my teenage years in the U.S. had been like. Comparing my live as a teenager in Germany/Europe to the life as a teenager in the U.S.? The U.S. appears rather boring to me. Many things that were important in my life as a child and teenager weren't possible in the U.S. If I had children and I would be forced to raise them in the U.S., I would cry every day. I think the U.S. is a sad place for kids and teenagers.

My experiences in the U.S. are rather limited. So I'm not sure wheter the U.S. is really more boring or not. But there are some hints for it. When those statistics are correct, no one watches more TV than Americans. Although they work longer hours and have less free time. Americans spend extremely little money for leisure activities.
It seems unlikely that a place where people have less free time and less money left can offer a wider range of leisure activities. It seems also logical that more densely populated areas can offer a wider range of free time activities.

Like Bayesian already depicted, the U.S. appears rather monotonous. Sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, fences, bathrooms (and countless other things), it largely all looks the same. Americans often mention the diversity of the U.S. But most man-made things in the U.S. are rather monotonous compared to other countries. It seems way easier to describe the most common American house, kitchen, bathroom, fence, yard, grocery store, clothing style, haircut. Than it would be to describe those things in other countries.

Many things in the U.S. doesn't look beautiful to me. It's maybe just a different taste of design, I don't know. I don't know how to describe the differences. Different colours? Different shaping? In some fields the design in the U.S. seems to be stuck in the past. Not very appealing. Lack of sophistication? I really enjoy to look at beautiful designed things. I have been to a water park in Massachusetts. I have never seen such an awful looking water park. It was so plain and bland. But surprisingly well-attended (despite the shabbiness of the place). Why people visit such an ugly water park? Because they don't know better?
This is an INCREDIBLY pretentious post, that scrutinizes the US for things other countries get a pass for, and calls the US boring for things that every country could be called "boring" for, aside from the fact that it is utterly riddled with inaccuracies and beyond absurd nitpicks.

You're literally going on about how boring the US looks because "kitchens" and "bathrooms" "look the same" to you, across the US allegedly...a country you reportedly haven't visited. WHAT?! You impugn that everywhere in the US has the same "driveway, fence, yard, grocery store, haircut, and clothing", things that just cannot be true, given the massive size and diversity of the American populace. Things that simply aren't true, I'll say it. That "perception" of yours, wherever it came from, is simply wrong.

Most European nations, by the way, are far more residentially decrepit and monotonous than the US, so common is the scourge of tower blocks, row houses, and semi-detached box houses. It is my impression that these countries are FAR more monotonous and homogeneous in all the ways you accuse the US of being so, ditto Asia, which is choc-a-bloc full of horribly same-y urban development, and Australia and Canada, who's mode of urban and suburban development consists of condo towers and sunbelt-style suburbs.

I'd say in almost all fields of modern/contemporary design, Europe fails miserably compared to the US, and feels far more "stuck in the past".

It's not true that "no one watches more TV than Americans".

The water park treatise was the nail in the coffin for your credibility. You visited a water park somewhere in massachusetts and thought it looked ugly, so that's you reasoning for saying the entire US is bland, or backwards? First of all, the irony of that statement is the US has more water parks than any country, and some of the most notable amusement parks in the world. Ignoring that fact, that paragraph was utter nonsense. I've never in my life heard anything so ridiculous.

The US is one of the most interesting countries in the world, both culturally and naturally. You could spend a lifetime exploring the US and not understand or see the whole country.

Many European countries, as well as large countries with tiny populations like Canada and Australia, fit the bill for "boring" far, FAR better. The US is a current superpower and cultural capital.

You end up admitting you've spent "very little time" in the US.

No, sorry: your post is objectively wrong. Simply put. To list a bunch of random things like "kitchens" and "haircuts" to justify calling the US monotonous is just...it's inconceivable.

Logically, a country with a much smaller, older culture would be much more provincial and homogeneous in all the ways you accuse the US of being so, ways in which the US is objectively diverse and extremely varied, from housing styles to fashion to "driveways" and any other bizarre object you choose to attack the US for. The double standards are utterly cloying.

This is easily the most breathtakingly pretentious display of anti-americanism I think I have ever seen in my life, certainly on the city-data forums. There are truly no words for how utterly inaccurate, delusional, insulting, ignorant, arrogant, and petty this is.

I have yet to see anyone write an entire paragraph designed to eviscerate a country that they had admittedly spent "very little time in" by alleging that "driveways", "water parks", and "bathrooms", among other random items, "all looked the same across the country" (as if you would know) while attacking said country for sophistication. What a deluded display of arrogance.

Last edited by velvetlaptop; 07-10-2020 at 12:27 AM..

Old 07-10-2020, 08:24 AM

153 posts, read 110,516 times
As someone who enjoyed living in Canada, I find Canada to be not the most exciting place for tourists (apart from a few cities), but a great place to live.

Old 07-10-2020, 03:06 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetlaptop View Post
This is an INCREDIBLY pretentious post, that scrutinizes the US for things other countries get a pass for, and calls the US boring for things that every country could be called "boring" for, aside from the fact that it is utterly riddled with inaccuracies and beyond absurd nitpicks.

You're literally going on about how boring the US looks because "kitchens" and "bathrooms" "look the same" to you, across the US allegedly...a country you reportedly haven't visited. WHAT?! You impugn that everywhere in the US has the same "driveway, fence, yard, grocery store, haircut, and clothing", things that just cannot be true, given the massive size and diversity of the American populace. Things that simply aren't true, I'll say it. That "perception" of yours, wherever it came from, is simply wrong.

Most European nations, by the way, are far more residentially decrepit and monotonous than the US, so common is the scourge of tower blocks, row houses, and semi-detached box houses. It is my impression that these countries are FAR more monotonous and homogeneous in all the ways you accuse the US of being so, ditto Asia, which is choc-a-bloc full of horribly same-y urban development, and Australia and Canada, who's mode of urban and suburban development consists of condo towers and sunbelt-style suburbs.

I'd say in almost all fields of modern/contemporary design, Europe fails miserably compared to the US, and feels far more "stuck in the past".

It's not true that "no one watches more TV than Americans".

The water park treatise was the nail in the coffin for your credibility. You visited a water park somewhere in massachusetts and thought it looked ugly, so that's you reasoning for saying the entire US is bland, or backwards? First of all, the irony of that statement is the US has more water parks than any country, and some of the most notable amusement parks in the world. Ignoring that fact, that paragraph was utter nonsense. I've never in my life heard anything so ridiculous.

The US is one of the most interesting countries in the world, both culturally and naturally. You could spend a lifetime exploring the US and not understand or see the whole country.

Many European countries, as well as large countries with tiny populations like Canada and Australia, fit the bill for "boring" far, FAR better. The US is a current superpower and cultural capital.

You end up admitting you've spent "very little time" in the US.

No, sorry: your post is objectively wrong. Simply put. To list a bunch of random things like "kitchens" and "haircuts" to justify calling the US monotonous is just...it's inconceivable.

Logically, a country with a much smaller, older culture would be much more provincial and homogeneous in all the ways you accuse the US of being so, ways in which the US is objectively diverse and extremely varied, from housing styles to fashion to "driveways" and any other bizarre object you choose to attack the US for. The double standards are utterly cloying.

This is easily the most breathtakingly pretentious display of anti-americanism I think I have ever seen in my life, certainly on the city-data forums. There are truly no words for how utterly inaccurate, delusional, insulting, ignorant, arrogant, and petty this is.

I have yet to see anyone write an entire paragraph designed to eviscerate a country that they had admittedly spent "very little time in" by alleging that "driveways", "water parks", and "bathrooms", among other random items, "all looked the same across the country" (as if you would know) while attacking said country for sophistication. What a deluded display of arrogance.
Your post is more over-the-top melodramatic than his/hers is. So, he/she doesn't like the US. So what? Different strokes for different folks. No everyone is going to think the US is the greatest place in the world. It's nothing personal.

Old 07-10-2020, 03:13 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
If anybody finds an entire country to be boring, then that says more about the person than the country.

Old 07-10-2020, 03:48 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,010,150 times
By % of builtup areas ...

1) USA (Most sprawl)
2) Australia (Similar to US)
3) Canada (Similar to above)

But I have never been to a BORING country. But I find Sprawl boring, and the Big English speaking countries have a lot of that. But Each of those countris have an amazing part of their country. No country has ever been 'boring' to me.

Old 07-10-2020, 11:02 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times
Canada
Norway
Singapore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World