Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 03:47 AM

463 posts, read 1,131,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsong View Post
I can only come up with two off the top of my head, Mongolia and Kazakhstan , I'll get back to you on this
I don't agree. Every Kasakh city is full of nightlife and you can't call the people dull.
It's true landscape is a bit monotonous, however easy enough to escape that as well, as there are green mountains and deserts as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna777 View Post
I became bored in every country I lived after a while. Partly because I am used to living in large American cities with alot of social electricity. I find Europeans very nice but too laid back for my taste.

Rome Italy and Barcelona Spain both started feeling lonely and unimpressive after 2 weeks, but that is anywhere compared to America. No, not because America is flawless, but after getting used to the abnoxious and entertaining nature of large city social scenes it is hard to replace for YOUNGER Americans.

The worst city/country:

Budapest, Hungary...so dreary and I will not go into details because they are just mean natured to say.
that's most probably because you don't speak the language and very few people in these countries speak English well enough to have an interesting conversation.
Hungarians can seem a bit dull at first sight but they are very interesting people, and you can have much more interesting discussions than the regular meaningless chitchat with Americans.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:00 AM

I find Asian people to be great cooks, friendly, etc. but a bit dull. They can't talk about aything else besides their business. Also the regular backbacker going to countries like Thailand is not very interesting. They will talk about how cheap the bus to ko pan gha was, where they have the cheapest banana pancakes, etc. Not my cup of tea.

Americans are friendly but superficial.

most Latin-Americans on the other hand, and citizens of former Soviet countries, always have very interesting things to say to you, you can talk about politics, philosophy, football, French cinema, etc.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:21 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,890,398 times
Flat,desert-like corn/maize/beet/turnip growing plains like the Middle West: the Castille plain all around Madrid and all around my home city (Paris) : ugly ,boring, crisscrossed with electric poles, masts, with water towers for the irrigation of the giant fields and concrete corn elevators, I wonder how people can live there without getting depressed!

Old 07-23-2011, 10:45 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,373,366 times
Question to all:
Do you travel around in the countries or do you make up your mind after a weekend in the capital?
Just curious....

Old 07-23-2011, 12:33 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,437,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Flat,desert-like corn/maize/beet/turnip growing plains like the Middle West: the Castille plain all around Madrid and all around my home city (Paris) : ugly ,boring, crisscrossed with electric poles, masts, with water towers for the irrigation of the giant fields and concrete corn elevators, I wonder how people can live there without getting depressed!
I live in the Midwest, and it is anything but boring. Besides the cornfields, we have forests, taiga, Great Lakes, beaches and even mountains. We have world-class cities like Chicago, Minneapolis and St. Paul, idyllic small towns and friendly and "homey" small cities. If the areas surrounding Madrid and Paris are anything like the Midwest, I definitely want to visit them.

I've traveled extensively, and I've never been to a boring country. Every place I've been had something different to offer, every culture had its own beauty to discover. I strongly believe there are no boring places, only boring people.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:19 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,166,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I've travelled all over the world.... from Africa to Latin America to The US to Europe, to Japan, to Australia.

The places where I found myself very bored were:

1. the USA (in 90% of the country if you don't have a car you can't really do anything!!! plus many American cities outside the traditional touristy new york, san francisco etc. lack a vibrant culture, a good nightlife, color, street life!!!).

2. Australia (see the USA)

3. Saudi Arabia (it was an extremely interesting experience, but as a very modern woman it was very claustrophobic after a while)

what about you?
I have NEVER seen a boring country.....altho I HAVE seen a LOT of boring tourists.....

Old 07-24-2011, 07:09 PM

973 posts, read 2,145,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Actually Brazil is pretty boring, with huge empty distances between cities that look just like Akron, Ohio.
I missed that the 1st time around. I'm from Akron. You mean rundown? That is just about every city in the rust belt.

I haven't been too many places. Funny that 2 places I'd actually like to go, Brazil, & Austrailia are mentioned. =) I don't feel I've traveled enough (only in North America, ie, US, Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean) to rate places.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:49 AM

276 posts, read 763,884 times
Frankly, to label a whole country as boring is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. There is NO WAY you get anything even close to a complete picture of a whole country during a vacation. Even when you live somewhere, it usually will still take years to start getting the whole picture.

And then of course, each person's experience is completely different so this will probably lead to endless arguments over if this or that place is boring or not. Just my two cents.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:12 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,890,398 times
If the areas surrounding Madrid and Paris are anything like the Midwest, I definitely want to visit them.
"besides the cornfields" : in Paris also beside the cornfields there are (urban) forests , it doesn't mean that cornfields per se are anything but monotonous in general (to my taste at least!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World