Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:31 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,539,292 times

Advertisements

Sure just smoke weed and trip on X or Acid... The Rave parties in India pump trance all day, you need to be on something to dance to that crap....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 12:35 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,219,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez Mode Pls View Post
Easier said that done my Irish friend
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
What she says ! I just don't understand why drinking is such an issue to people. Just say no.
Being a long time recovering alcoholic, I have opinions on that.
No one notices or cares if anyone else drinks.

You may be hard pressed to enjoy yourself if you don't drink coffee or tea, though. I frequently spend time with my friends or new acquaintances over a cuppa and dessert.

This is life, it's all about choices.

Old 06-18-2011, 01:59 AM

92 posts, read 248,909 times
Yup easier said than done.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez Mode Pls View Post
Yup easier said than done.
Why do you say that? I'm really clueless about this response.
Don't you have self-control? Or do you have a drinking problem?
I don't see any other responses, please enlighten me.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:40 AM

3,719 posts, read 5,677,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why do you say that? I'm really clueless about this response.
Don't you have self-control? Or do you have a drinking problem?
I don't see any other responses, please enlighten me.
Just don't drink. Why is this even an issue with traveling? If you visited Saudi Arabia, would you be compelled to drink alcohol there?

Old 09-18-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Just don't drink. Why is this even an issue with traveling? If you visited Saudi Arabia, would you be compelled to drink alcohol there?
I concur.
I've traveled to 728 cities in 42 countries and I don't drink.
It's never been a problem for me.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:53 AM

230 posts, read 903,034 times
I don't know why anybody would care if you don't drink as long as you don't care if they do drink. I drink, but I have friends who don't drink or stop after one beer. We go to the same parties, bars, ect. and it is never a problem.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:21 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,984,457 times
The Muslim world might be a good place to go "alcohol-free" during trips!

Old 09-19-2011, 05:32 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,121,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Which is to say watching movies and travel shows it seems that people all over the world drink. A lot. Not that I care. However, I know there are people here in the states who consider me odd since I don't drink. I've had people who I've been friends with for years and know I don't drink get mad at me for turning down a beer at a party.

All that said it seems like Americans drink a lot less than most other people. Americans are a lot less likely to have a beer or glass of wine with their supper (much less there lunch) than other people.

So if I'm already the odd man out here is there any way for me to enjoyably travel to other countries where drinking is much more expected without taking up drinking? I mean yeah on that account I'd do okay in the Islamic countries, but other than Egypt and Turkey there aren't really any majority Muslim countries I want to travel to.
No, I do not drink and have not encountered a problem.

The Brits and the Irish found it odd. For many Brits booze in like air, they'd die without it... and cannot imagine that everyone is not sloshing it down all day at every opportunity.

But on the continent it never raised an eybrow. There it is zero problem. People often drink mineral water in bars, at parties, at celebratory events.

I know where I live in Portugal stopping for a drink without food is limited to one or two beers or wine, and more often coffee is preferred. There is a rather strong idea that sitting down and knocking back drink after drink as is done in the U.S. without the accompaniment of food (food does not mean bowls of chips) is dubious behavior. Cafes here, even the most makeshift places, serve beer, wine and spirits as well as coffee, but coffee is what you see most groups of people drinking.

But I can remember the U.S.- Don't you want a drink? Not even beer!!?? Are you sure???????

Have never had that occur in Europe. (Outside Britain and Ireland.)

Old 09-20-2011, 01:22 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,072,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
This is good to know as I don't drink. Although seeing as I operate a motorized wheelchair I gathered I already had a perfect excuse.

Also, in the Midwest at least, Americans drink a great deal. We maybe don't "socially drink", the way they do in the Mediterranean, we just "drink to get drunk" drink. Not going to keggers made me socially odd and my disability did not entirely mitigate that. (In fact some with my condition drink heavily, they just get out the manual wheelchair and prepare for any rib fractures that may occur as mine is a brittle-bone ailment)
I agree. I don't think this happens as much in other parts of the country, where it is looked on as kind of immature to "drink to get drunk" after your thirties or so. Here in Minnesota, though, a large segment of the adult population actually looks forward to Friday and Saturday (and sometimes other days of the week!) to just "get drunk".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World