Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:35 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,620,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
I am surprised by the number one choice on your list and that you are considering Dublin as one of your options for option 4.

I thought you would not have Vancouver and Dublin anywhere on your list mostly because of weather reasons.

However, I am not surprised by Singapore and Honolulu.

Great to see you somewhere else on city-data outside the weather forum.

What did you think of my list?

Your list was good...
I picked Vancouver as my number one choice mainly due to immigration issues. As a Canadian, it's the easiest place for me to live. Otherwise, I'd have Honolulu as my number one choice. It seems the US does NOT have a investment/retirement visa option, so even if I was filthy rich, I couldn't live there full time
I picked Dublin because I wanted to live in a place in Europe that is English speaking in case I ever got into trouble and I do like Irish culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 03:32 PM

2,923 posts, read 5,591,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Your list was good...
It seems the US does NOT have a investment/retirement visa option, so even if I was filthy rich, I couldn't live there full time
yes it does.

and even before it did have one officially it was still possible to gain residency through investments.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
yes it does.

and even before it did have one officially it was still possible to gain residency through investments.
Really? There is an EB-5 visa but you essentially need to invest and be responsible for a business for that... if you just want to invest the money in bank/stock market and live off interest/dividends, you can't do that.
So, it's not a straightforward process.

Assuming it were possible to get a green card and year round residency in the US.
My choices would be:

1. Honolulu, Hawaii
2. Singapore
3. Dublin, Ireland
4. Perth, Australia

Last edited by deneb78; 05-27-2011 at 04:23 PM..

Old 05-28-2011, 06:21 AM

5,052 posts, read 13,877,394 times
Quote:
Your list was good...
I picked Vancouver as my number one choice mainly due to immigration issues. As a Canadian, it's the easiest place for me to live. Otherwise, I'd have Honolulu as my number one choice. It seems the US does NOT have a investment/retirement visa option, so even if I was filthy rich, I couldn't live there full time
I picked Dublin because I wanted to live in a place in Europe that is English speaking in case I ever got into trouble and I do like Irish culture
Thanks for saying my list is great.

I had Vancouver as a possibility for option 4 actually. But many different places are competing for 4th place such as Shanghai, London, San Francisco, Chicago, and a nice small town in a world class nature scenery area.

My first three options are New York City, Hong Kong, and Paris.

But what is interesting is that you don't have Vancouver in any of your 4 options all of a sudden any more. It went from first place to not even being in your top 4 within just two days or less!

Dublin Ireland has slightly worse weather than even Vancouver, so it is shocking to me that it is option 3 for you.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:03 AM

624 posts, read 1,118,227 times
Brasov, Romania (already have an apartment there - best city in Eastern Europe)
Vienna, Austria (best city in Central Europe)
London, UK (best city in Western Europe)
Hong Kong (best city in Asia)
And if I had more options I would probably get an house in the middle of nowhere in northern Romania (an area called Bukovina... I never been there but I heard is one of the most beautiful place in the World. Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__BoYvBOuRE and a more detailed one here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS1ThWQFgbM.
And for the summer I would buy a house somewhere on the shores of Montenegro or Croatia.

Last edited by MilkDrinker; 05-28-2011 at 10:13 AM..

Old 05-28-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
Thanks for saying my list is great.

I had Vancouver as a possibility for option 4 actually. But many different places are competing for 4th place such as Shanghai, London, San Francisco, Chicago, and a nice small town in a world class nature scenery area.

My first three options are New York City, Hong Kong, and Paris.

But what is interesting is that you don't have Vancouver in any of your 4 options all of a sudden any more. It went from first place to not even being in your top 4 within just two days or less!

Dublin Ireland has slightly worse weather than even Vancouver, so it is shocking to me that it is option 3 for you.
Well, I took out Vancouver because I figured if I could have Honolulu as my main residence, I wouldn't need to have a place in Vancouver really. I would still come here often though.
I picked Dublin because even though it has bad weather, it is in an English speaking country and I do like Irish culture. I guess I could have picked somewhere like London but London seems too big for me. I like smaller cities.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:07 PM

312 posts, read 905,813 times
I would have 4 homes that I would commute to whenever I wanted to (without having to work).
Awesome.

- 1 HUGE apartment on top of the Chrystler Building, the Empire State or some other nice, tall building on Manhattan, NY. Top floor of course, with a 360 degree view of the city.

- A HUGE apartment in the nicer parts of Hong Kong, HK/China (?), top floor of course with a 360 degree view of the city.

- A HUGE house on a small island in the south pacific (Fiji, Tonga or the Maldives)

- A HUGE house somewhere in the mountains of northern China/Mongolia/Nepal. With my own Buddhist-temple.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:18 PM

13,536 posts, read 9,961,854 times
I’ve not been to enough places to come to a firm decision. Travel TV doesn’t help.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
Brasov, Romania (already have an apartment there - best city in Eastern Europe)
Vienna, Austria (best city in Central Europe)
London, UK (best city in Western Europe)
Hong Kong (best city in Asia)
And if I had more options I would probably get an house in the middle of nowhere in northern Romania (an area called Bukovina... I never been there but I heard is one of the most beautiful place in the World.
And for the summer I would buy a house somewhere on the shores of Montenegro or Croatia.
This is an interesting list.

What reasons do you think Brasov Romania is the best city in Eastern Europe?

Also, are you of Romanian descent?
My parents are from Romania.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Well, I took out Vancouver because I figured if I could have Honolulu as my main residence, I wouldn't need to have a place in Vancouver really. I would still come here often though.
I picked Dublin because even though it has bad weather, it is in an English speaking country and I do like Irish culture. I guess I could have picked somewhere like London but London seems too big for me. I like smaller cities.
Either way, it is interesting how fast Vancouver went from option 1 to not even being anywhere in your 4 options.

That is interesting you would still have Dublin in your top 4 even though you strongly dislike weather climates like Dublin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World