Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 11:01 PM

10,649 posts, read 15,918,583 times

Advertisements

*A 24 hour city
*Within 2 hours by car from a sea
*Clean
*Safe
*Most people can speak/understand English
*Warm and humid weather all year but not hot (so not above 35 degrees celcius please).
*Not to expensive
*Good nightlife
*Foreign friendly
*Laidback people who not only think about work

What places do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
*A 24 hour city
*Clean
*Safe
*Warm and humid weather all year but not hot (so not above 35 degrees celcius please).
*Not to expensive
*Good nightlife
*Foreign friendly

anyone?

Old 05-27-2011, 10:59 PM

26,750 posts, read 22,256,191 times
Quote:
anyone?
Davy..
I think half of the world ( at least) is looking for such place and still can't find it)))

Old 05-27-2011, 11:33 PM

866 posts, read 1,555,041 times
Miami seems to fit

Also Honolulu, San Diego, Los Angeles, and Brisbane.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:14 AM

4,439 posts, read 6,948,352 times
Brisbane, Perth, Orlando, New Orleans, Miami, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore

Old 05-28-2011, 12:50 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,953,955 times
Houston. If you like it humid, you got it. 1 hour from the Gulf of Mexico, but not the nicest beach you will ever visit. Certainly a very large city. Inexpensive. 24-hour. Clean in many parts (like any city). Rarely goes above 35C but the humidity makes it feel hot. Warm in the winter other than a few cold snaps. Very laid back and friendly. Did I mention the humidity?

Old 05-28-2011, 09:48 AM

Yeah i was already thinking of Florida, go there almost every year. But i cant really say that i feel safe in some places in Miami.

Isnt the weather in Cali very dry?

What about Hong Kong, Bangkok, Bali, Buenos Aires or Sao Paulo?

Old 07-26-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHartely View Post
Hi Davy-040

I am not sure how far you are willing to travel, but when I read your question I immediately started thinking of Durban, South Africa.

Durban is the second largest city in the country, the busiest port in South Africa and is right next to the sea. It is clean and safe. Most people there speak both Zulu and English. It has warm subtropical climate .It is not too expensive and you will especially find that Durban hotels are affordable. It has a very good nightlife and is much more relaxed and laid back than Johannesburg.
For a holiday maybe but i'm looking for a place to live,
African countries and countries with a muslim population of 50% or more are no options for me.

Last edited by Davy-040; 07-26-2011 at 09:26 AM..

Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 AM

5,463 posts, read 9,593,535 times
Quote:
Yeah i was already thinking of Florida, go there almost every year. But i cant really say that i feel safe in some places in Miami.

Isnt the weather in Cali very dry?

What about Hong Kong, Bangkok, Bali, Buenos Aires or Sao Paulo?

Here's a look at temp averages for Bangkok. Temps can vary quite a bit around the city can feel much hotter because of humidity and microclimates.
Bangkok - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-26-2011, 10:54 PM

5,463 posts, read 9,593,535 times
Quote:
*A 24 hour city
*Clean
*Safe
*Not to expensive
*Good nightlife
*Foreign friendly

Since you mentioned that you're looking for a city for a holiday, and since you also mentioned Bangkok as a potential prospect, I'll stick with BKK, since I'm more familiar with it than the other places you mentioned.

A 24 hour city
To be honest, I''m not exactly sure what you mean by that.

Within 2 hours by car from a sea
The Gulf of Thailand at Chonburi and Pattaya is about that distance in travel time by car. There are beaches in the area that are relaxing, but the water isn't exactly crystal clear. A better location are the beaches around Phuket and Krabi, but it's much longer than a 2-hour drive to get there. A lot of people just fly there from BKK which shouldn't be much more than a 45-minute or so flight from the airport at Don Meung. Speaking for myself, driving around in BKK can be a major challenge because of heavy traffic and crazy drivers. LOL!

Clean
Like anywhere, BKK has areas that are reasonably clean, as well as areas that are rather grubby. Most of the areas frequented by tourists seem to be pretty clean.

Safe
Overall, BKK is a pretty safe city, if you mean in terms of crime. That said, there are plenty of scammers and pickpockets around, especially in locations heavily frequented by tourists. In all my years, I've never had any problems, but it's still a good idea to take precautions and be aware of your surroundings.

Most people can speak/understand English
BKK is an international city, so English is fairly common, even though it can sound kind of mangled at times. There are people who speak it quite well. Most street signs are written in both Thai and English. Businesses usually have signs written in English.

Warm and humid weather all year but not hot (so not above 35 degrees celcius please).
I already covered that in my previous post.

Not too expensive
In my opinion, BKK can be a pretty inexpensive destination to visit. However, it depends on a person's spending habits and the places you go to. Accommodations range from budget class to 5-star. Street food is cheap, abundant and great tasting if you're looking to keep expenses down. In terms of shopping, most items that are imported into the country tend to be higher, electronics, etc. Local public transportation is reasonable, and sometimes can be bargained for a better price (which requires knowing what an average price should be).

Good nightlife
BKK s loaded with night spots for entertainment.

Foreign friendly
People are usually pretty friendly. Some of the major tourist attractions have dual price standards which doesn't always seem so "foreign friendly". One price for Thais and a higher price for foreigners.

Laidback people who not only think about work
Because BKK is the central economic center of the country and heavily populated, it can be pretty hectic from the hustle and bustle. But most Thais tend to be pretty easy going and socialble folks as soon as the work day is finished. There's always plenty of room for fun and parties.

Comment
It really depends on what interests you, what kind of budget you may want to stick with, and what you're willing to settle for. There's a lot of variety in BKK, enough to suit most everyone's tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World