U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 01:41 AM

4,728 posts, read 4,396,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
I have to say Ghana, small, has a stable government and one of the fastest growing economies in Africa. Plus from the food I've sampled, it looks like a food lovers paradise.
Interesting. I forgot Ghana existed for while there but seeing your post made me remember Ghana. Out of all African countries Ghana is one of the countries that is doing the best there socially, economically, and with politically.

But is those enough reasons for Ghana to be a worthwhile tourist destination and an underrated tourist destination? It does not seem like it in this case.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:44 AM

4,728 posts, read 4,396,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnderMyKilt View Post
I think I may have posted this already, but Namibia absolutely doesn't get the rating it deserves. It is without a doubt one of the most stunningly scenic places I've ever been.

Another place I rate highly is Slovenia. It's hard to beat the view in Gorenjska.
I heard Namibia has great desert coastline scenery. Is that the reason why you say Namibia has great scenery?

Also out of all countries in Africa, Namibia is one of the countries doing the best socially, economically, and politically(the other countries in Africa doing the best are Ghana, Gabon, Botswana, Mauritius, and the Seychelles) which can help make a place a worthwhile tourist destination. However, other factors also affect what makes a place a worthwhile tourist destination and an underrated tourist destination.

But looks like there might be some African countries that have the remote possibility of being worthwhile and underrated countries to visit.

Also, I know nothing about Slovenia. It is one of those European countries I don't know much about. What is Slovenia like for traveling? What is the view in Gorenjska like? You are the third person recently that said Slovenia is an underrated country to visit.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:06 AM

24,642 posts, read 13,502,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnderMyKilt View Post
I think I may have posted this already, but Namibia absolutely doesn't get the rating it deserves. It is without a doubt one of the most stunningly scenic places I've ever been.

Another place I rate highly is Slovenia. It's hard to beat the view in Gorenjska.
I camped in Bled last week. Just lovely.
The mountains, and sea are easily at your disposal.
The capital, Ljubljana, is a very nice city, smallish, but enjoyable.
There are also some interesting salt mines closer to the sea.

It's more expensive for a week pass in Slovenia than it is for a 10 day pass in Austria.
Go figure.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:33 AM

431 posts, read 305,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Also, I know nothing about Slovenia. It is one of those European countries I don't know much about. What is Slovenia like for traveling? What is the view in Gorenjska like? You are the third person recently that said Slovenia is an underrated country to visit.
As the previous poster said Gorenjska is mountainous with lakes, it being on the southern slopes of the Alps. Bled Castle and Cathedral are really photogenic locales, although these days there's quite a lot of tourist bustle. When I go I like to go for self-catering cottages from which to hike and explore off the beaten path. There's a lot of choice during summer off ski season. I've stayed near Dovje and Bohinj, which I highly recommend.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:45 PM

79 posts, read 174,620 times
[QUtOTE=tijlover;19392263]The crime rate of a country, any U.S. Consular Advisories, never show up on my radar screen. I've avoided Venezuela as I can't deal with heat & humidity combined. I carefully examine the altitude where I'm going, so I'll be comfortable. I believe Caracas is at 3300 feet in altitude. Too low for me, which could spell discomfort, perhaps misery.

It's not like Quito (9500 feet) or Bogota (8600 feet) where I'd be more comfortable. Cartagena! I'd die there!

But if you come from a part of the country with summer heat & humidity, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Despite all the puported dangers of El Salvador, a most underrated country, I've been there 3X and never felt unsafe for a minute, nor any other area of Central America. I just love visiting the underrated areas of the world.[/quote]

true, cartagena make u sweat like an animal

Old 06-25-2011, 06:52 PM

79 posts, read 174,620 times
Default me

no one mentioned AUSTRIA,
ever been to vien?

amazing austria has it all

also Hungary and Check republic are amazing

Old 06-26-2011, 07:14 AM

236 posts, read 322,227 times
Singapore is overlooked which is really unfortunate. Most "Western" people think of it as that place where they have huge fines for littering. But it's a cosmopolitan city, with a wonderful climate, a fascinating history, and a lively cultural / ethnic mix. I haven't been there -- yet -- but I had some friends from Singapore in university and I've been dying to visit ever since.

Singapore Airlines will pamper you too. I was lucky enough to fly that airline once, at least.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:24 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,685,713 times
I confess that I still struggle to understand why Thailand receives more tourists from the USA than Brazil, since Brazil is closer to the USA, and air fares are lower.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:36 PM

431 posts, read 305,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I confess that I still struggle to understand why Thailand receives more tourists from the USA than Brazil, since Brazil is closer to the USA, and air fares are lower.
Maybe Thailand is a new destination for Americans, but here in Britain there's a certain connotation attached with taking a holiday to Thailand - particularly if you're a balding, overweight, 50+ male.

Let's just say that Thailand offers more, erm, "tourist activities" than Brazil.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:56 PM

11,720 posts, read 17,367,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Ottawa One View Post
Singapore is overlooked which is really unfortunate. Most "Western" people think of it as that place where they have huge fines for littering. But it's a cosmopolitan city, with a wonderful climate, a fascinating history, and a lively cultural / ethnic mix. I haven't been there -- yet -- but I had some friends from Singapore in university and I've been dying to visit ever since.

Singapore Airlines will pamper you too. I was lucky enough to fly that airline once, at least.
Singapore Airlines is my favorite airline. Even the standard class felt like first-class. If I remember right, just a lot more spacious, and a whole lot more various options - i.e. each passenger got to choose the movies that he or she wanted to watch (as opposed to a set movie that everyone watches), etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World