Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:22 PM

329 posts, read 1,044,525 times

Advertisements

Being a nomad, I have this pressing need to go travel every 6-9 months. My job is perfect for that, because that's about the length of each project I work on. Many of my colleagues will then take 1 month off to go travel or whatever before the next gig, so I'm looking into places I could go surf for a month.

I'm budgeting myself about 5G's, which should also include airfare, so maybe 3-3.5G's for the actual surfing vacation. Although I'll be going for the surf, I'm leaning heavily towards places that aren't just remote sections of paradise but have some sort of city-life and other things to do besides surfing. Will most likely stay in a hostel by the beach and rent out a surfboard. Also, I'm leaning towards a cheap-to-moderately priced location not in the US.

Here was my list of places, which I'm narrowing down:
  1. Costa Rica
  2. Bali
  3. Australia (maybe too expensive)
  4. Morocco/Western Sahara
  5. Brazil
  6. Thailand
  7. Phillippines
  8. Portugal
Where would you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 09:36 PM

10,649 posts, read 15,918,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
Being a nomad, I have this pressing need to go travel every 6-9 months. My job is perfect for that, because that's about the length of each project I work on. Many of my colleagues will then take 1 month off to go travel or whatever before the next gig, so I'm looking into places I could go surf for a month.

I'm budgeting myself about 5G's, which should also include airfare, so maybe 3-3.5G's for the actual surfing vacation. Although I'll be going for the surf, I'm leaning heavily towards places that aren't just remote sections of paradise but have some sort of city-life and other things to do besides surfing. Will most likely stay in a hostel by the beach and rent out a surfboard. Also, I'm leaning towards a cheap-to-moderately priced location not in the US.

1. Costa Rica
  2. Bali
  5. Brazil
  6. Thailand
  7. Phillippines
  8. Portugal
Where would you suggest?
A Southeast Asian/South American country is probably the best pricewise.
Indonesia maybe? It's cheaper than Bali. Peru?

Old 06-11-2011, 06:42 AM

3 posts, read 5,911 times
If I were you I'd choose Bali.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:24 AM

329 posts, read 1,044,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movers85 View Post
ok, but why?

Old 06-11-2011, 10:01 AM

327 posts, read 642,710 times
Bali is the best place for waves at an affordable price.

Kuta in Bali is a great place for surfing and is relatively developed with a decent nightlife. It's still touristy but you'll meet a lot of people, especially Aussies.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:56 PM

3 posts, read 6,183 times
Ive been to every place on your list. But just go to Puerto Escondido Mexico. It has everythign you are looking for, and the surf is unrivaled.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:00 AM

10,649 posts, read 15,918,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
  1. Costa Rica
  2. Bali
  5. Brazil
  6. Thailand
  7. Phillippines
  8. Portugal
Where would you suggest?
Take out Morocco, Philippines & Portugal (Why go to Portugal if you can go to Brazil?)

Old 06-15-2011, 07:48 PM

4,439 posts, read 6,948,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movers85 View Post
The Australian Government's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has reissued a specific warning about travel to Bali and the rest of Indonesia.

It says: "We advise you to reconsider your need to travel to Indonesia, including Bali, at this time due to the very high threat of terrorist attack. If you do decide to travel to Indonesia, you should exercise great care, particularly around locations that have a low level of protective security and avoid places known to be possible terrorist targets.

"Information in March 2011 indicates that terrorists may be planning attacks in Indonesia, which could take place at any time. Between April 21-26, 2011, the Indonesian Government moved to the highest level of national vigilance in response to terrorism. This followed the disruption of a terrorist attack near a church in Serpong, West Jakarta, on April 21, 2011.

Travel warning for Bali - The West Australian

I guess the American and European governments would have issued an similar warning. However these days terrorism can happen anywhere. But people still flock to Bali even with these warnings.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:45 AM

3,900 posts, read 6,698,909 times
I'm not sure for "conventional" surfing, but for kitesurfing, the best place in the whole world is a beach called Cumbuco, near the city of Fortaleza, in the northeastern Brazilian state of Ceará.

Every week hundreds of people from around the world arrive in Cumbuco for kitesurfing. And almost everyone who goes there agrees that it's the best kitesurfing spot in the world.

More information on Cumbuco at this page: Cumbuco | Kitesurfbeaches

Ceará has some other great places for kitesurfing, such as Jeri and Preá, and the state is also considered a good place for windsurfing.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:41 PM

4 posts, read 14,247 times
Default Bali = Indonesia

Nias island is famous for the idyllic waves breaking off palm-fringed Lagundri Bay. The 2005 earthquake lifted the reef, making the wave even better

Nias and Bali both in Indonesia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World