U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:11 PM

13,578 posts, read 12,267,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Not if you are just visiting. But if you plan on moving there you'd need one unless you're a EU citizen (plus some more minor requirements sometimes).
That's what I thought, and I assume it's the same for EU citizens if they want to visit/stay in the US ( or Canada/Australia)

PS. Oh I see... he (Rob702) meant in terms of moving within the EU countries -duh! It would be different for Americans of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 PM

15,484 posts, read 34,156,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblock View Post
Hi.
,i intended no visa for retirement or expars
countries like, india south africa, china, singapore,
what is the easier country in terms of immigration,?
(not canada, australia , or european countries)

i know in dominican republic u can stay as long as you want
you only pay for the extension,

Pls reply, im italian born, us resident, soon us citizen
Interesting you mentioned the Dominican Republic...as I was going to suggest that one. It's one of the few I heard that it's easy to get citizenship. Interesting you are Italian as well, as I met quite a few Italians in the Dominican Republic who were running and owning businesses.

Another place that Italians seem to like is Northeast Brazil...and traditionally cities like Sao Paulo were large Italian magnets. I heard these days that most Northeast Brazilian cities have many Italians, as European cities like Italian ones have direct flights to Natal, Fortaleza, etc. (North American cities do NOT have direct flights to NE Brazil - we'd have to go through Sao Paulo first).

I'll comment on India. Just getting a tourist visa alone is an expensive option, even moreso if you get an American passport and citizenship and travel with that. I think it's something like US$120 for an American to get a six month tourist visa. I'm not sure about immigration, but I don't think India is an immigrant-attracting nation. Although I have heard some hippie types and a few techno Goa types who basically went to India and just never left. Supposedly.

There is a Dominican Republic forum with a ton of expats....called something like 'DR1'....if you search for it. India has an expat/traveler/retiree etc. forum under something like 'IndiaMike' and search for forums.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:24 PM

3,806 posts, read 4,926,415 times
Probably easy to get into Somalia, but you better be a good shot if you hope to stay.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:40 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,467,116 times
It's fairly easy to move to Panama - the country actively recruits expats and has laws that facilitate immigration.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:54 AM

79 posts, read 328,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Are you an Italian citizen?
Italian-born and Italian citizen are not necessarily the same thing.
Im italian citizen, my question is still unanswered

Old 06-29-2011, 05:01 AM

i totally agree . Yeah lot of italian in brazil, dr,..
im looking for a more intriguing unpopular country,

UOTE=Tiger Beer;19799511]Interesting you mentioned the Dominican Republic...as I was going to suggest that one. It's one of the few I heard that it's easy to get citizenship. Interesting you are Italian as well, as I met quite a few Italians in the Dominican Republic who were running and owning businesses.

Another place that Italians seem to like is Northeast Brazil...and traditionally cities like Sao Paulo were large Italian magnets. I heard these days that most Northeast Brazilian cities have many Italians, as European cities like Italian ones have direct flights to Natal, Fortaleza, etc. (North American cities do NOT have direct flights to NE Brazil - we'd have to go through Sao Paulo first).

I'll comment on India. Just getting a tourist visa alone is an expensive option, even moreso if you get an American passport and citizenship and travel with that. I think it's something like US$120 for an American to get a six month tourist visa. I'm not sure about immigration, but I don't think India is an immigrant-attracting nation. Although I have heard some hippie types and a few techno Goa types who basically went to India and just never left. Supposedly.

There is a Dominican Republic forum with a ton of expats....called something like 'DR1'....if you search for it. India has an expat/traveler/retiree etc. forum under something like 'IndiaMike' and search for forums.[/quote]

Old 06-29-2011, 05:08 AM

lol, if your income is below a certain amount
you aee exempt to file us taxes

QUOTE=Tiger Beer;19799511]Interesting you mentioned the Dominican Republic...as I was going to suggest that one. It's one of the few I heard that it's easy to get citizenship. Interesting you are Italian as well, as I met quite a few Italians in the Dominican Republic who were running and owning businesses.

There is a Dominican Republic forum with a ton of expats....called something like 'DR1'....if you search for it. India has an expat/traveler/retiree etc. forum under something like 'IndiaMike' and search for forums.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-666 View Post
If you are planning to leave the US permanently, it's crazy to get US citizenship - you would have to file a US tax return every year for the rest of your life !

Old 06-29-2011, 09:41 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,985,468 times
I guess almost every country requires a visa for extended stays - some even for transit in airports - and very good credentials for permanent residence.

Also, it usually depends on what your particular skills are when it comes to work. What do you do for a living?

Also, how many languages do you speak? Many countries grant permissions taking into consideration the applicant's proficiency level of their official language(s).

Old 06-29-2011, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 15,759 times
You still have to file your taxes even if its below a certain income. You won't owe any taxes, but you still have to go through the hassle of filing the paperwork every year.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:58 AM

302 posts, read 700,444 times
OP, I can't understand why in the hell you would trade EU citizenship for US, especially since you don't intend to stay in the US. That makes no sense. Your EU passport will get you into the same countries as a US one but without the tax filing and banking issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or