Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:14 PM

9,808 posts, read 14,653,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
About the Caribbean: the island of Bermuda is a very wealthy place. Bermuda has only 20.6 sq mi of area and 67,837 inhabitants. The GDP (PPP) per capita of Bermuda is $97,000 (more than double of that of the USA).

Ethnic compositon of the population of Bermuda:

black 54.8%, white 34.1%, mixed 6.4%

Bermuda is a British overseas territory, and has a Governor appointed by the UK. But it also has a local Parliament elected by the people, and a Premier.
This is not really directed to you MalaMan, its simply a general comment since its such a common mistake.

I don't know why so many people think Bermuda is a Caribbean country/overseas territory. I look at an atlas and say to myself, how can it be possible?

They're closer to New York than to the Bahamas/Turks and Caicos! And these two are often thought of as Caribbean places, even though they don't have Caribbean shores; but at least they are so close to the Caribbean sea that its understandable why many people refer to them as Caribbean.

But Bermuda?

I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 08:31 PM

9,808 posts, read 14,653,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Wherever a race is a minority in a country (or even a neighborhood), they will face discrimination; regardless of what race we're talking about.

But Blacks don't face discrimination in the Black-majority Caribbean islands.

As for well-off Black nations, Barbados, The Bahamas and Antigua&Barbuda come to mind. The United Nations considers Barbados to be a developed country- Indices & Data | Human Development Reports (HDR) | United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)

As for Barbados's wealth distribution, I heard that most Blacks there are middle class but the most of the Upper-class are Whites (Whites descendant of colonists and some retirees from England); that is just what I heard, I don't know how accurate it is. But since Blacks make up over 90% of the Barbados population then there is no way that they don't control a huge chunk of the economy.
Whites making up most, or at least a large percentage of the upper class, is true in almost all the Caribbean islands, regardless of the culture or ethnic make up. I think the only exception is Haiti and only because most whites there were killed during the Haitian Revolution.

However, in my eyes, white Barbadians are definitely a separate type from the other white Caribbean peoples.

Why do I say this, you may ask?

One simple reason: A few years ago, they marched down the main road in the Barbadian capital, in chains. They were asking for forgiveness to the black majority population for all the injustices their white ancestors did to the black population ancestors (slavery, racism, etc).

In fact, I think that makes them a new type of white community in the whole world.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:10 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,465,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
This is not really directed to you MalaMan, its simply a general comment since its such a common mistake.

I don't know why so many people think Bermuda is a Caribbean country/overseas territory. I look at an atlas and say to myself, how can it be possible?

They're closer to New York than to the Bahamas/Turks and Caicos! And these two are often thought of as Caribbean places, even though they don't have Caribbean shores; but at least they are so close to the Caribbean sea that its understandable why many people refer to them as Caribbean.

But Bermuda?

I don't get it.
It might partly be "where else do you put it?" I mean I don't think it's quite north enough to be a "North Atlantic island" like Greenland or Iceland or Newfoundland. It's not really east enough to be a West African island like the islands of Cape Verde, the Azores, or Canaries.

I guess Wikipedia places it more as a North Atlantic Island. I guess that makes as much sense, but would probably be less helpful for tourism.

I don't think I referred to Bermuda as Caribbean, I don't find it, but maybe I did.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:39 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,666,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtdiler View Post
Really?
Traveling While Black « Clutch Magazine

Black And Kinky – Everywhere We Go « Clutch Magazine

Old 11-10-2014, 07:10 AM

11,645 posts, read 12,843,622 times
I'm gonna have to say Norway, Denmark or Finland.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:58 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,479,584 times
In my country it's only because they just don't adapt to our culture. They are over represented in crime statistics and in example somalian's unemployment rate is whopping 80%. And yet the state provides them with everything. So if you are going to work and pay your taxes you are welcome. Otherwise please go back to where you came from

Old 05-07-2019, 05:45 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,473,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I suspect the easiest places are those cities with an already established black community such as London.
Nowhere is perfect but I really don't think there is much racism in that city these days. I have known a black American who came to visit from Georgia and stayed on by getting married and spoke so much about loving the vibe there compared to the States.
A lot depends on ones position of course but Paris isn't bad either from what I saw and heard when living there.
Really can't think of anywhere else. Amsterdam perhaps?

Discrimination isn't just expressing hatred. Its about access to opportunities for upward mobility.

So based on that there is loads of discrimination against blacks in London, even if hatred against them isn't expressed openly.

And thousands of British blacks as well as many French blacks live in the USA. It depends on what one is looking for, but the comments cite that educated blacks in the USA have more opportunities than they do in Europe. If the American was seeking integration into a white world then he wouldn't like the USA, but then I am not sure that many US resident blacks really care for this either.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
In my country it's only because they just don't adapt to our culture. They are over represented in crime statistics and in example somalian's unemployment rate is whopping 80%. And yet the state provides them with everything. So if you are going to work and pay your taxes you are welcome. Otherwise please go back to where you came from

I can only wonder why your country attracts the derelicts when Africans in the USA and the UK are considered very progressive. Even the Somalis in the USA are beginning to move forward.

Maybe those who want upward mobility and self reliance just stay away from the Nordic lands. and may those who seek welfare go there.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Racism is not part of our culture.
And yet millions of Brazilians don't agree with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ODz9aIQ_k

and its very easy to find more of this.

Latin Americans need to stop this nonsense that racism isn't part of their culture.

How many wealth black tycoons who aren't sports or entertainment figures exist in that country? How many blacks will I see in Brazilian media discussing the capital markets?

When you answer this then we can chat. Because the world has long passed the nonsense that not speaking about racism means that it doesn't exist.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Whites making up most, or at least a large percentage of the upper class, is true in almost all the Caribbean islands, regardless of the culture or ethnic make up. I think the only exception is Haiti and only because most whites there were killed during the Haitian Revolution.

However, in my eyes, white Barbadians are definitely a separate type from the other white Caribbean peoples.

Why do I say this, you may ask?

One simple reason: A few years ago, they marched down the main road in the Barbadian capital, in chains. They were asking for forgiveness to the black majority population for all the injustices their white ancestors did to the black population ancestors (slavery, racism, etc).

In fact, I think that makes them a new type of white community in the whole world.

Actually Barbados is one country in the English speaking Caribbean where open white vs. black racism can occur and will be expressed by both sides. The Bahamas might be another.

In Jamaica the elites are Syrians, Chinese and light skinned mixed people. Trinidad also has a visible white elite but the Syrians are now wealthier and more economically powerful and an Indian business elite has also emerged.

One will find a hard time finding whites in the smaller islands unless one speaks of expats.

What is however evident is that the political structure and the media is no longer in the hands of the white local population, so they usually keep a low profile.

That incident in Barbados was likely a sarcastic stunt. Their usual discourse is to plead victimhood at the hands of the blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World