Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:10 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,513 times

Advertisements

Ok, so bare with me. This is a serious question. It seems that most of the questions that are asked about where someone will not face racism seems to come from those of African descent. In the States, in Spain, throughout Europe, Latin America, Australia, Asia and even Africa above the Sahara. It's always the same thing. Yes, other racial groups may ask too, but by and large it seems to be asked most by African-blacks.

Do you believe that African's (blacks) face the most discrimination in the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 12:49 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
I think Romany/Gypsy probably face the most, but if you don't want people to know you're Romany/Gypsy I think you can generally get away with claiming to be something else. Also I'd think black people could go to Barbados, Bermuda, Jamaica, Cape Verde, and maybe Mauritius without thinking about their race.

Still African-Blacks I think are about the largest diaspora community and I think they might just be the largest diaspora where their members were largely brought to new lands as slaves. The Indian subcontinent has a large diaspora community, possibly including Romany/Gypsies, but they weren't really slaves. Sometimes they were servants or exploited low-wage workers, but there is some difference. So the history of discrimination lingers fairly intense probably particularly for those in the US as the Americans were more against "miscegenation" than most societies that held Africans as slaves. Even if there might be, for all I know, Brazilians who dislike it I think Brazilians know that many of their "white people" have black ancestors. White Americans traditionally either have no black ancestors, because the children of slaves almost always ended up as slaves (Louisiana's I think an exception), or they refuse to acknowledge black ancestors.

So anyway I think there's a mix of reality and reality. Reality in that their diaspora was largely one of slavery. Perception in that I think some blacks assume this is more significant to non-blacks, in any country, than I think it is in reality. That "Penny Lane" in England is named for a slave-dealer or that Portugal brought in scads of Africans to Brazil where thousands died, well I think it's understandable blacks might feel those things should matter to them or that it says something about them as people. However I'm not sure it really does mean much to them. Not even in a guilt/shame way. At the end of the day that stuff for them has been over for centuries and in some ways I think history is actually less interesting to the "victors."

Old 07-06-2011, 01:21 AM

6,044 posts, read 5,952,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Ok, so bare with me. This is a serious question. It seems that most of the questions that are asked about where someone will not face racism seems to come from those of African descent. In the States, in Spain, throughout Europe, Latin America, Australia, Asia and even Africa above the Sahara. It's always the same thing. Yes, other racial groups may ask too, but by and large it seems to be asked most by African-blacks.

Do you believe that African's (blacks) face the most discrimination in the world?
Even further South of the Sahara where African immigrants in second countries face hostility and discrimination at times.

Note South Africa,a few years back saw a lot of voilence and killings of black immigrants and the Ivory Coast witnessed the expulsion of immigrants in the 80s,not forgetting tribal issues in Rwanda,Congo and Kenya over fairly recent times.

Perhaps the question should be perhaps is where is the least discrimination experienced?

Old 07-06-2011, 03:11 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Even further South of the Sahara where African immigrants in second countries face hostility and discrimination at times.

Note South Africa,a few years back saw a lot of voilence and killings of black immigrants and the Ivory Coast witnessed the expulsion of immigrants in the 80s,not forgetting tribal issues in Rwanda,Congo and Kenya over fairly recent times.

Perhaps the question should be perhaps is where is the least discrimination experienced?
I wonder if this is was intended in the OP's question.

These expulsions and genocidal murder campaigns mentioned above have to do with issues of resentment of immigrants and traditional ethnic rivalries rather than race. The Hutu did not slaughter the Tutsi because they were black, they killed them because they were Tutsi.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I wonder if this is was intended in the OP's question.

These expulsions and genocidal murder campaigns mentioned above have to do with issues of resentment of immigrants and traditional ethnic rivalries rather than race. The Hutu did not slaughter the Tutsi because they were black, they killed them because they were Tutsi.
Indeed they were but could that be because it is black people that inhabit most of Africa.
While it may not be race it is tribal and in that sense ethnic.
Perhaps the murder and removal from their land of white farmers in Kenya and later Zimbabwe could in part be classed as racial murders? That is the only example I can think of akin to racial hostility in Africa.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:16 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,919 times
Here in Belgium, there's relatively few discrimination against black Africans. The people that are looked down upon the most here are Romany/Gypsies and North Africans (mostly Morrocans). Black Africans here are mostly seen as rather kind people (except maybe in parts of Brussels, where young black Africans have formed a couple of dangerous gangs).

Old 07-06-2011, 09:30 AM

I suspect the easiest places are those cities with an already established black community such as London.
Nowhere is perfect but I really don't think there is much racism in that city these days. I have known a black American who came to visit from Georgia and stayed on by getting married and spoke so much about loving the vibe there compared to the States.
A lot depends on ones position of course but Paris isn't bad either from what I saw and heard when living there.
Really can't think of anywhere else. Amsterdam perhaps?

Old 07-06-2011, 11:24 AM

278 posts, read 621,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post

The best country for people of full (or part) African ancestry is the United States. They can be presidents , TV icons (Oprah), sport legends (Michael Jordan), singers, movie actors (Will Smith), etc. There is no glass ceiling.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:47 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
The best country for people of full (or part) African ancestry is the United States. They can be presidents , TV icons (Oprah), sport legends (Michael Jordan), singers, movie actors (Will Smith), etc. There is no glass ceiling.
True. But for every Obama or Oprah there is 10 black men in jail. The highest obesity rate, HIV rate, poverty rate, etc.....

Is there anyplace in the world where Africans have a generally high standard of living where they also are the majority?

Old 07-06-2011, 02:50 PM

328 posts, read 997,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
But the people in the examples you give are those who have ancestors living in America for generations. I think the OP is talking about blacks that have come from Africa. Still more or less I agree with your statement. Since America has had black people for many many generations they have had time to become established. Other countries in Europe and Asia blacks are fairly new arrivals as immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World