Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 12:03 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,668,280 times

Advertisements

Wife would like to see her family in Glasgow/Edinburgh, Scotland/UK and I would like to see my son in the Fort Lauderdale/Miami Florida, USA. No other family exists on earth.

Wife is Scottish and I am American.

First we lived in Glasgow and she got to see her family but my ex was unwilling as far as me seeing my child.

This forced a move back to Florida. Couldn't get a job in Florida and ended up in DC.

Learned the law and forced my ex to allow me to see my child. Child flies up from Florida to DC.....might as well be another country though since I know the law and the child is old enough to fly internationally at this point.

Thought DC would be perfect until I learned no non-stop flights to Glasgow (WTH Glasgow has like 1 million people). Only Orlando, Newark, Philly, Boston (I think) and like one other place have non stop flights. Some of those places have economic hardships (no jobs or jobs that pay crap) and some of those places I don't want to live in or near.

Was thinking that across the pond in the UK my son could fly up just once per summer to see me (not much better than that in VA right now).

Miami/Fort Lauderdale to London should be a non-stop situation. London to Glasgow on the weekend should be easy....I just don't want my family to hear any Anti-Scottish crap in London (not sure if there is a lot there or not).

Miami/Fort Lauderdale to Dublin might be a good one...I just don't want to deal with any sectarianism crap for my family. I would also bet that the economy there is garbage.

Live in the Boston area might be a thought?

Any others?

We don't like connecting flights to be honest..just being honest.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 12:08 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,849 times
Honestly, any big city in America. No one would care.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:09 PM

Care about what? Sectarianism? I agree with you there. Everyone likes my wife's culture and accent here.

Very few big cities have non stop flights to Glasgow and most of them are undesirable (even for economic reasons) as far as I know.

DC just didn't turn out to be the middle ground I thought it would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Honestly, any big city in America. No one would care.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:24 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
I'm not sure what the flight situation is like, but have you considered Bermuda? It's right in between the UK and the US, so it might be a convenient choice.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:31 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Wife would like to see her family in Glasgow/Edinburgh, Scotland/UK and I would like to see my son in the Fort Lauderdale/Miami Florida, USA.
It makes no sense to look for a third place that is nowhere near either one of them.

You have two choices: Either Glasgow/Ediburgh or Fort Lauderdale/Miami. You choose one, and you visit the other whenever you get a chance.

The logical choice sounds like Glasglow/Edinburgh, where she has a ton of family. Than the one boy in South Florida, you can fly there whenever you get a chance, or fly him to Scotland whenever you get a chance. Which is basically the same thing you'd be doing with him if you lived in say Boston or DC or wherever else anyways.

If Scotland or Florida really aren't possibilities....(yet people live there everyday and make a go of it), than I can't imagine Boston being better than DC. It seems pretty much the exact same thing minus the connecting flight.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 07-15-2011 at 08:54 PM..

Old 07-18-2011, 04:46 AM

Guess so, thanks for your thoughts. Connecting flights are a hassle for unaccompanied minors. Miami/Fort Lauderdale economy stinks so I had to move out. Can't really get a grasp for Edinburgh/Glasgow economy...it is like a big secret that no one wants to talk about. Your approach seems pretty rational overall though...just trying to fine tune life....aren't we all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It makes no sense to look for a third place that is nowhere near either one of them.

You have two choices: Either Glasgow/Ediburgh or Fort Lauderdale/Miami. You choose one, and you visit the other whenever you get a chance.

The logical choice sounds like Glasglow/Edinburgh, where she has a ton of family. Than the one boy in South Florida, you can fly there whenever you get a chance, or fly him to Scotland whenever you get a chance. Which is basically the same thing you'd be doing with him if you lived in say Boston or DC or wherever else anyways.

If Scotland or Florida really aren't possibilities....(yet people live there everyday and make a go of it), than I can't imagine Boston being better than DC. It seems pretty much the exact same thing minus the connecting flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World