Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:35 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Paris is a pretty fair current candidate even though it works in a different sphere from NYC and London (it is more diversified overall with less emphasis on the financial industry; it's more dominant in European political affairs, and is the most powerful Francophone city out there). Paris is also the seat of several major international organizations (and the capital of a fairly powerful nation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 11:05 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
I think Dubai, Beijing, Washington DC are next on the list to rival the top 5 (NYC,London,Tokyo,Paris,Sydney) There are others on the list but those cities in particular I see shaping the world in the 21st Century.....
Dubai is just an adult disneyland. It is a global city, but not in the sense that NYC or London are, and it will never be. It is the poster child for the building/financial bubble and now that it has popped so will the city.

I dont think SP will rise to NYC and London prominence anytime soon, but it will increasingly gain recognition. I would say Shanghai or Beijing.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:31 AM

170 posts, read 768,760 times
Regarding culture, nightlife, atmosphere and diversity , Berlin ist worth mentioning.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:40 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
seoul, mumbai and guangzhou

Old 07-25-2011, 11:43 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
I think there is no denying that New York, Tokyo and London are truly world cities, capitals of the world in business, culture, entertainment, tourism, density, landmarks, etc.
Usually Hong Kong is included with those three.

Although these days, China has been pushing for Shanghai to replace HK with that role.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:45 AM

994 posts, read 1,829,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadrett32 View Post
Regarding culture, nightlife, atmosphere and diversity , Berlin ist worth mentioning.
The reason I mentioned São Paulo was because financially it has dominance in the South American continent like no other. In Asia Shanghai has competition with Tokyo, Seoul and maybe Hong Kong. In Europe it's basically London head to head with Paris, with Berlin following close behind. New York is very dominant in North America but L.A., Toronto, and Mexico City (and Chicago on a financial level) give NYC quite good competition. As where in South America the only competition I can think of São Paulo having is against Buenos Aires and Santiago, but even then, I believe São Paulo is much more powerful and influential. Buenos Aires has lost a lot of influence and Santiago, just like the rest of the country is a little more isolated in the way it works.

I also think things like the world cup, the olympics (even though they are in Rio) and Brazil's booming economy will bring São Paulo even further. It also helps that Brazil has beef with no one. There is animosty against the Chinese, not just by Americans but by the Japanese, South Koreans and quite a few other powerful countries. Brazil really has no beef with anyone which might create better investments in the country and specifically to the city. It would bring more business and people's interest to the country and their largest city.

Here is my shortlist:

Paris (although imo, might already be)
Shanghai
São Paulo
Mexico City
Seoul

Old 07-25-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Sao Paulo is definitely already a global city and has been for some time. Same thing with Shanghai, but ive never been there only Sao Paulo. It might not be the most well known global city, but it is one.
I lived in Sao Paulo for awhile. It's a powerhouse for South America.

But, as an English teacher, the pay and demand for English is incredibly low. It's there, but not so strong.

As opposed to Asia, where there is an insatiable desire to learn English in almost all Asian countries, and they'll pay top dollar to learn it.

One could make the argument that Portuguese is close enough to English, that there wouldn't be a demand for English teachers, as people could pick it up on their own. But unlike Europe, very very very few Brazilian people know even very basic English.

So, based on that alone, I'd have to say it must not be a worldclass powerhouse on a huge international world scale. It is important economic hub for Latin America though.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:52 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
The reason I mentioned São Paulo was because financially it has dominance in the South American continent like no other. In Asia Shanghai has competition with Tokyo, Seoul and maybe Hong Kong. In Europe it's basically London head to head with Paris, with Berlin following close behind. New York is very dominant in North America but L.A., Toronto, and Mexico City (and Chicago on a financial level) give NYC quite good competition. As where in South America the only competition I can think of São Paulo having is against Buenos Aires and Santiago, but even then, I believe São Paulo is much more powerful and influential. Buenos Aires has lost a lot of influence and Santiago, just like the rest of the country is a little more isolated in the way it works.

I also think things like the world cup, the olympics (even though they are in Rio) and Brazil's booming economy will bring São Paulo even further. It also helps that Brazil has beef with no one. There is animosty against the Chinese, not just by Americans but by the Japanese, South Koreans and quite a few other powerful countries. Brazil really has no beef with anyone which might create better investments in the country and specifically to the city. It would bring more business and people's interest to the country and their largest city.

Here is my shortlist:

Paris (although imo, might already be)
Shanghai
São Paulo
Mexico City
Seoul
Sao Paulo is without a doubt the business and financial capital of SA. Like I said earlier it is already a global city, just not as prominent as NYC or London. I cant see it ever being in the same league within the next 20 years.

Good pizza too.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:54 AM

994 posts, read 1,829,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I lived in Sao Paulo for awhile. It's a powerhouse for South America.

But, as an English teacher, the pay and demand for English is incredibly low. It's there, but not so strong.

As opposed to Asia, where there is an insatiable desire to learn English in almost all Asian countries, and they'll pay top dollar to learn it.

One could make the argument that Portuguese is close enough to English, that there wouldn't be a demand for English teachers, as people could pick it up on their own. But unlike Europe, very very very few Brazilian people know even very basic English.

So, based on that alone, I'd have to say it must not be a worldclass powerhouse on a huge international world scale. It is important economic hub for Latin America though.
BTW how did you like living ins São Paulo? I might be making a move down there in the next few years for a job.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
BTW how did you like living ins São Paulo? I might be making a move down there in the next few years for a job.
I absolutely loved it!

I lived in Pinherios and walked to Jardins often. Loved everything about Sao Paulo.

There are certainly bad areas, but there are certainly good areas too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World