Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 05:32 PM

95 posts, read 195,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
German and Dutch are pretty similar. As a German speaker I also find Danish and Swedish (Norwegian not so much) to be kind of understandable. Not every word but when reading their newspapers I usually get the essence without having learned either language.
Luxembourghish is also easy to understand for German speakers, but apparently it is more of a German dialect and was declared its own language for political and not linguistic reasons.
Danish and Norwegian are very similar to each other, and same alphabet.

Swedish and Norwegian are very similar to each other.

Swedish and Danish are somewhat similar to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 04:31 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,270,021 times
Red Apple: Sure, if you say so. That doesn't mean that it is easy for me to understand as a German speaker though. It is way easier to understand Danish and Swedish, for me. Swedes or Danes might think differently.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:31 AM

4,434 posts, read 6,952,890 times
Yiddish - German

Old 08-07-2011, 07:31 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,965,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Yiddish - German
You're right! I always thought that the Yiddish language was all but extinct, but according to Wikipedia, it's still spoken by 1.76 million people. Very close to German though, some would even say it's a German dialect.

Last edited by Avondrood; 08-07-2011 at 07:44 AM..

Old 08-07-2011, 07:32 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,468,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
------

Asturian or Bable is a Spanish dialect, NOT a language.
Yes, Spanish.
Problem here that we have irresponsible politicians that create ficticious languages to create little kingdoms....Pathetic, really.
Huh. I guess I was thinking that might work as there's an Asturian Wikipedia even.

Asturianu - Uiquipedia

Well I guess that one poster is right then and Portuguese is the closest living relative of Spanish. Well Portuguese and, presumably, Galician. And maybe Mirandese. Or are Mirandese and Galician just Portuguese dialects?

Old 08-07-2011, 11:47 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,203,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Red Apple: Sure, if you say so. That doesn't mean that it is easy for me to understand as a German speaker though. It is way easier to understand Danish and Swedish, for me. Swedes or Danes might think differently.

With a background in Norwegian, I find Swedish much simpler to the ear than Danish which I often mistake for another Germanic language at first.

In writing, Danish and Norwegian are practically the same language but for a few spelling differences while I can spot Swedish on the page immediately.

As the saying goes, "Norwegian is Danish spoken in Swedish."

Old 08-07-2011, 11:53 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,384,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apple View Post
What languages are extremely similar to each other? Not only related or some words, but very similar that people in both language understand each other for the most part.

I know some:

Swedish - Norwegian

Norwegian - Danish

Swedish - Danish (but not as close as to Norway)

What other languages?

Actually, I am Swedish and I cannot understand when a Danish person speaks to me. I do however understand Norwegian real well.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 AM

40 posts, read 69,615 times
to me Korean and Chinese sound kind of similar but not in writing

Old 08-11-2011, 11:17 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,091,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Huh. I guess I was thinking that might work as there's an Asturian Wikipedia even.

Asturianu - Uiquipedia

Well I guess that one poster is right then and Portuguese is the closest living relative of Spanish. Well Portuguese and, presumably, Galician. And maybe Mirandese. Or are Mirandese and Galician just Portuguese dialects?

-----

You can find a Klingon Enciclopedia if you look hard enough.
Galician is a very old language, older than Portuguese.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:50 AM

2,885 posts, read 5,222,929 times
Well, for me as an outsider the following languages sound very similar:

Norwegian & Swedish
Italian & Romanian
Estonian & Finnish
Slavic languages

No offense intended for the native speakers of those languages

Edit: I forgot, I also hear some similarity between Finnish, Estonian and Japanese... am I the only one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World