Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:45 AM

40 posts, read 69,763 times

Advertisements

measurements for milk in plastic bottles are in pints as Ben said while the average cereal box here is 500g or 750g for the family size
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 07:54 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Where I live in Portugal I get long-life milk in 1 litre boxes, which are wrapped as six-packs. My cereal is in a 750 gr box, but there is a smaller size.

There is regular milk for sale, but it doesn't seem to sell nearly as well. I have never purchased it and pay no attention to it; thus, I have no idea of the sizes.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:00 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,327,152 times
Milk is usually 1 litre and I guess Kelloggs cereal is the same everywhere.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:31 AM

143 posts, read 741,815 times
1 and 1.5 litres

Old 08-11-2011, 04:22 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Interesting the variations between countries.

1L seems to be the world standard for milk. I suppose Americans consume milk by the gallon because 1) almost everybody has a car (gallon jugs of milk tend to take up a lot of space), and things are usually cheaper per unit when bought in larger quantities, and 2) Americans tend to have much larger refrigerators than most nationalities.

When we go shopping, we often buy two gallon jugs of milk. A gallon lasts our family of 4 (one is almost always missing, though) about four days. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but American cuisine tends to be more dairy products-based than most others.

Excuse me, but I had to laugh at the 375g cereals. I can't remember what the closest American equivalent of those are ("personal servings" or something), but they are usually served at hotel breakfast buffets.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:56 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times
Nearly all milk is sold in 1 liter cartons, that's the standard size. There are usually also one or two brands that sell milk in 0.5 liter cartons (which are relatively more expensive than the 1L ones) or in 2 liter plastic bottles (which are ~ equally expensive relative to the 1L cartons, just bigger). I just checked the cereal box I have at home (from Kellogg's) and it contains 300 grams.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:56 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
In Canada milk is generally sold in a package (large bag) that contains 4L in total separated between 3 bags inside of it, which have 1.33 L each. This is because originally it was a gallon per package, or one third of a litre per bag.

It is also sold in 1L cartons.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:24 AM

321 posts, read 960,460 times
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but American cuisine tends to be more dairy products-based than most others.

Without trying to start a debate on what constitutes American cuisine, I would be interested in knowing how these huge quantities of milk are used in the dishes you are thinking of.

In Europe, we use large quantities of butter, cream and cheese in our dishes, but I would be hard pressed to come up with many that use a lot of milk.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:44 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerouac2 View Post
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but American cuisine tends to be more dairy products-based than most others.

Without trying to start a debate on what constitutes American cuisine, I would be interested in knowing how these huge quantities of milk are used in the dishes you are thinking of.

In Europe, we use large quantities of butter, cream and cheese in our dishes, but I would be hard pressed to come up with many that use a lot of milk.
Many Americans eat cereal for breakfast and use milk with that. In Europe (or at least in my country) this is far less common. Most people eat bread for breakfast here. So I guess that's why Americans tend to use more milk. Apart from that, I don't think the American cuisine is more dairy products-based than others, on the contrary actually.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:52 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Many Americans eat cereal for breakfast and use milk with that. In Europe (or at least in my country) this is far less common. Most people eat bread for breakfast here. So I guess that's why Americans tend to use more milk. Apart from that, I don't think the American cuisine is more dairy products-based than others, on the contrary actually.
American food, at least in its Midwestern form, is very dairy-dependent: milk is poured into bowls of cereal, used in recipes, used in Hamburger / Tuna / Chicken Helper, butter is very often used and often heavily, cheese predominates in hotdishes (casseroles) and Americanized forms of "ethnic" food (Italian-American, Mexican-American) where it is traditionally not used as heavily, etc. Mayonnaise, Miracle Whip, and Ranch Dressing, among other disgusting sauces, are all very heavily based on dairy ingredients.

Perhaps there are some cuisines that are more dependent on dairy than American cuisine (Maasai cuisine, Scandinavian cuisine and some French regional cuisines maybe), but if you take an average American and an average inhabitant of the world, I'm sure the American will consume much more dairy products. Most Asian cuisines, for example, use very little in the way of dairy products, either because of widespread lactose intolerance or expense, and these cuisines account for the national cuisines of the majority of the people in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World