U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 01:32 AM

766 posts, read 1,584,292 times

Advertisements

I did a thread similar to this, only limited to American cities. I wanted to see what would it be from a global perspective.

This essay inspired me to make this thread.
Cities and Ambition

Is it Boston? London? Paris? San Francisco Bay Area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 06:25 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
I did a thread similar to this, only limited to American cities. I wanted to see what would it be from a global perspective.

Cities and Ambition

Before reading the article, I glanced at the city names below it. My first thought was Boston???, no; but Cambridge yes. And after reading the other city names, I still thought Cambridge.

Funny to read the article and find that the author was of the same opinion.

I might even pick Cambridge on a worldwide basis, though Oxford and Paris are surely in the running. Might even consider Kyoto as well.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:26 AM

19,865 posts, read 18,308,470 times
I am not a big fan of conventional intellectuals as such. Many of them are arrogant, annoying, boring, and little inventive themselves, mostly ruminating what others have already produced before them.

Being intellectual also includes art etc. Some music and paintings are loved by intellectuals, but don't mean nothing to me. There seems to be scope of material that is considered classic and people not familiar with or fond of it are not considered intellectuals.

I remember an interesting program on Britain, where they said that Oxford and Cambridge, Britain's classic intellectual hubs, are like museums, old-school intellectual centers, whereas the modern progressive intellectual hubs are elsewhere, like for instance in Bristol.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:28 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,710,202 times
Cambridge U.S

What other city can boast two of the top five private universities in the world with several other top 40 schools within 10 miles.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:33 AM

11,449 posts, read 13,911,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Cambridge U.S

What other city can boast two of the top five private universities in the world with several other top 40 schools within 10 miles.
My goodness! A good, hard working, decent, patriotic American would regard that area as a disgusting pit of elitism!

Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,517,612 times
Washington D.C.

The MOST Educated Cities In America (PHOTOS)
Study Says DC Area Most Educated In The Nation (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/dc/study-says-dc-area-most-educated-in-the-nation-071510 - broken link)

This is the most educated city in the USA (with almost 50% of all residents holding a 4-year degree but i'm not sure about the entire world as a whole.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:45 PM

13,817 posts, read 12,600,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post

Cities and Ambition

Moscow.
Russian intellectuals scrutinize the history of Europe, question the US values and US politics, as well as the latest developments in the East. They look back into their past, question the future, they talk about philosophy, religion, economy, politics, art. All is relevant and all is discussed on-line as much as off-line.
In more pragmatic US it has been always a favorite pass-time for elitists ( as it has been already noticed,) elitists with money. Not so in Russia, historically speaking.
The next in line is probably Paris or Berlin.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:00 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,232,709 times
For large cities maybe Boston or London metros. Although the Swedes come out as fairly educated so Stockholm might fit too.

Of independent towns of any size maybe Los Alamos, New Mexico (Although probably more "science nerds" than traditional intellectuals) or Cambridge, England as besides its university it's apparently in something called "Silicon Fen." Also maybe Lund, Umeć, or Uppsala Sweden as their university towns. This is somewhat guessing.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:33 PM

2,697 posts, read 3,746,884 times
Well now, "capital" has two major meanings. First, it can signify a center where many intellectuals reside. Boring, IMHO. Second, it can mean a center which has a large amount of 'intellectual capitial', i.e., the smarts and money to start new industries and businesses. Interesting.

I will go with definition #2 above and pick:
Cambridge/Oxford (England)
Palo Alto/San Fran Bay Area
Boston area
Austin (Texas)
Berlin
Shanghai
Amsterdam
Paris
Prague

Old 08-27-2011, 01:36 AM

6,112 posts, read 10,148,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

In more pragmatic US ...
In my view, the top US intellectuals are military strategists, so, yes, Washington, and football coaches, dispersed throughout the country. This also reflects what the Romans thought of the Greeks, in the day.

I always laughed at a certain European country because it has university professors in important pragmatic political positions, but then the US has recently taken a step down in terms of its top banker and chief executive (he who laughs last?).

Kudos also to the men who invented email (military men, I believe), the internet, and those, like Bill Gates and Steven Jobs, who pragmatically, affordably, brought their application to nearly everyone, certainly improving my life and that of millions of others.

Last edited by bale002; 08-27-2011 at 01:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or