Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Paris, London, or NYC
Paris 202 34.89%
London 177 30.57%
New York City 200 34.54%
Voters: 579. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 06:21 PM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
Isn't it a shame about the bad reputation the French people get here in the States? I thought that Parisians were even more friendly than Londoners. I did not encounter any of the rudeness or haughtiness so widely portrayed in movies. Glad that you had that experience as well.
Yeah, that's one of the things I "tested" when I visited Paris. I was pleasantly surprised at the friendliness of Parisians. It seemed that everyone there liked to sit in the cafes and talk, talk, talk! (In a good way.)

If I were fluent in French, I could probably strike up a conversation with just about anyone. That's what it felt like. You don't get that feeling in New York or London.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 06:06 AM

142 posts, read 442,845 times
I live in London and have spent a significant amount of time in the other 2 cities, so here are my thoughts:

Criteria:

Weather~ Paris

Quality of life~ Paris

Traffic~ London (i also believe London has the best public transport network out of the 3)

Restaurants/Food and Shopping~ NY

Career Opportunities~ London

Scenery~ Not really sure what you mean by this question - do you mean natural scenery or skyscraper and iconic sights? I'll say it's a draw

Cleanliness~ London

Entertainment/Recreation~ London

Singles Scene~ Draw

Cost of living~ NY

Crime~ London

Location in the world~ London

Residents~ Paris (i have always got along famously with the French)

Any other comments? They are all truly great cities and there's not much between them on any of these issues. If you choose to live/visit any of these cities, there's more than enough to keep you amused and you'll have a wonderful time.

Which do you personally prefer? The more i travel, the more i appreciate just how brilliant London is. I've visited many countries around the world and still believe that London's probably the greatest city - i think it's the city with the best balance between modern influences and a rich history.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:54 AM

606 posts, read 1,078,350 times
I forgot to add "Diversity" and "Ecofriendly/Sustainable" in my criteria!
Which city out of the three do you think is more diverse?
Also, which city has the brighter future?

Last edited by musicislife.glee; 09-11-2011 at 12:35 PM..

Old 09-11-2011, 12:29 PM

606 posts, read 1,078,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yeah, that's one of the things I "tested" when I visited Paris. I was pleasantly surprised at the friendliness of Parisians. It seemed that everyone there liked to sit in the cafes and talk, talk, talk! (In a good way.)

If I were fluent in French, I could probably strike up a conversation with just about anyone. That's what it felt like. You don't get that feeling in New York or London.
I was definitely surprised by their friendliness as well. I got the same feeling of being able to strike up a conversation with anyone. I found that they were polite as well. The Parisians were pretty helpful when it came to directions. I expected them to just brush me off and walk away without even acknowledging (blame the American stereotyping). Sometimes they didn't know where the place I was asking about was, but they actually went and asked another person who was able to help. I absolutely adored that. To me, London and New York now pale in comparison to Paris, even if it might not be the most current, modern city. I actually appreciated that it kept most of its "Frenchness" (I don't know what else to call it) and did not try to make itself like London or New York or Americanize itself too much. At least that's what I thought when I went.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:08 AM

17 posts, read 106,287 times
Crime rates in London and NYC are very high. Not sure about Paris.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:14 AM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shohane View Post
Crime rates in London and NYC are very high. Not sure about Paris.
This is not really accurate. In NYC, crime rates vary dramatically depending on where you are in the city. Most of Manhattan, for example, is very safe.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:24 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This is not really accurate. In NYC, crime rates vary dramatically depending on where you are in the city. Most of Manhattan, for example, is very safe.
Most of Manhattan consists of millionaires

Old 11-02-2011, 08:59 PM

136 posts, read 581,377 times
Weather~ NYC
Quality of life~ tie
Traffic~ bad in all 3 cities
Restaurants/Food and Shopping~ NYC (cheapest)
Career Opportunities~ NYC
Scenery~ NYC
Cleanliness~ not sure
Entertainment/Recreation~ NYC
Singles Scene~ not sure
Cost of living~ all three are expensive
Crime~ not sure
Location in the world~ NYC
Residents~ NYC

Any other comments?

Which do you personally prefer? NYC

Old 11-02-2011, 10:45 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
I say we need to add "Cultural life" in the criteria!

This 3 are among the best cities in the world. Give, i didnt visit any of them but i wanna visit the 3 of them. Personally, i have a soft spot for London and Paris, always dreamed of going there. But i would loooove to go to New York as well.

Having to chose, it will be like London>Paris>NY.

I find Europe much more interesting than USA. And i think N.Y is by far the most interesting place in USA.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:16 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
1° NYC : only city of the 3 which has an actual summer and where you can go to the beach (Jones Beach) with the underground
2° (equal): London and Paris : grey Eurocities (boring for me as an European)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World