Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Paris, London, or NYC
Paris 202 34.89%
London 177 30.57%
New York City 200 34.54%
Voters: 579. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:47 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
New York and London have very similar populations if you're going by city boundaries. Saying it's much larger is inaccurate.
Maybe...but Greater London occupies most of the built up area, while a lot of the NYC built up metro area is outside of the official boundary of the city of NY, in Nassau, Suffolk, Jersey and Connecticut. NY is clearly the larger city in real terms by a fair margin. Skyscrapers or not, NY's big city feel blows away any city in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 04:00 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
That's completely subjective. Your opinion is not the baseline for everyone else, thank you very much.

Anyway, I completely forgot that I don't even care for big city feel. Give me Stockholm over dirty New York any day..

Old 03-27-2012, 04:12 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
That's completely subjective. Your opinion is not the baseline for everyone else, thank you very much.

Anyway, I completely forgot that I don't even care for big city feel. Give me Stockholm over dirty New York any day..
Subjective is saying NYC is a better city. I think one can easily prove NYC is objectively the larger of the two cities, not saying that necessarily makes it better.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:23 AM

692 posts, read 1,355,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
There is too many bus operators (especially in New York) to make easy comparaisons.
I believe that Paris has the lowest bus ridership of those cities, while quite well used, I can't say that buses are very popular in Paris.

London, New York and Paris have all tram lines in the periphery but none in the center.
Buses are very popular in London, the routemaster buses where always iconic, with new hop on hop off busses coming in to operation. Over 2 Billion bus journeys per year are made in London.

Whilst the South London Tram Network is set to be expanded.

I am not really bothered which is the bigger city, for me what really matters is which is the better to live in. You can look at statistics all day, but it won't make the it more liveable.

In terms of New York it was always the 24 hour city that never sleeps, the city that was a melting pot of immigration and diversity, the city with massive skyscrapers before other cities started to build them, the city where you could get food from across the world, the city where you could grab something at a Deli at 3 am and the city which was always a bit gritty and edgy.

Today most cities have a 24 hour culture, whilst globalisation and immigration has led to increasing diversity in other major cities and lots of cities are increasingly investing in skyscrapers. Indeed New York is far less unique than it once was, that's not too say it's not a good city, although even New Yorkers have grumbled at some of the changes made to their city in relation to the virtual disneyfication of Time Square which now looks like Las Vegas Strip crossed with Disneyland, whilst gentrification has seen massive change as real estates increase and landlords cash in, with the result that the city is no longer as diverse or interesting as it once was, or indeed as affordable. It's now much more corporate, much more gentrified and in some ways much less interesting and unique.

Last edited by Mulhall; 03-27-2012 at 04:43 AM..

Old 03-27-2012, 05:56 AM

In terms of New York's crime rate, I think gentrification has played a role, as has the under reporting of crime by the NYPD and the fact that theft under $1000 is counted as a misdemeanor rather than a felony and excluded from the crime figures. Most theft I see in most cities are usually less than $1000 or £750 (and recorded by the police), so it's little wonder the NY crime figures are so low, and coincidently the NYPD stopped publishing misedemeanor crime figures in 2003, and concentrated on felonies. As well as not recording certain crime there has also been allegations of reducing felonies to misdemeanours in order to balance the books, and there has been some serious doubt raised regarding NYC's recent recorded crime figures.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:59 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
I'm one of the few people who dislikes Times Square, and Piccadilly Circus for that matter

Old 03-27-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
I'm one of the few people who dislikes Times Square, and Piccadilly Circus for that matter
I think Time Square used to look all right before these new massive LED Screens, which imho just look tacky. I can't say I am a fan either. In terms of Piccadilly Circus they didn't really go overboard like Time Square, there are only a few screens, in fact Piccadilly Circus now has less advertising that it used to.

Time Square (1950's)

Last edited by Mulhall; 03-27-2012 at 06:32 AM..

Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 AM

29 posts, read 61,831 times
London is great but I voted for NYC for the Statue of Liberty

Old 03-27-2012, 09:13 AM

6 posts, read 8,281 times
NY is a claass of is own. But London has more style. And i dont really like Paris, its too expansive and posh for me.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times

Sting - Englishman In New York - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World