U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Status: ""My dad is better than your dad" - City vs City Forum" (set 24 days ago)

5,965 posts, read 3,570,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Is it worth a 60 hour week for years and years to burn yourself out just to have an impressive car and big house?
Are you asking me, or my wife?

Old 09-18-2011, 08:03 PM

12,974 posts, read 19,629,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

With lunch breaks, most Americans are putting in a good 35 hours a week. There are some obviously that put more in from 40-50 hours, just depends on their situation.
In my experience, at least for hourly wage earners, it's 9-5 with an unpaid lunch hour.

Than with the car centric lifestyle and rush hour traffic jams, most Americans commute so it ends up more like 8 until 6-6:30 or so.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:11 PM

11,441 posts, read 9,136,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
In my experience, at least for hourly wage earners, it's 9-5 with an unpaid lunch hour.

Than with the car centric lifestyle and rush hour traffic jams, most Americans commute so it ends up more like 8 until 6-6:30 or so.
Not to mention that Americans drive longer distances to and from jobs daily.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:13 PM

5,690 posts, read 6,293,059 times
Quote:
Is it worth a 60 hour week for years and years to burn yourself out just to have an impressive car and big house?
Except that most Americans don't work 60 hours a week. I haven't worked that many hours in a week since I was 25, and even then it was probably more like 50. But then I was trying to establish myself financially and in my career. Yeah, I had to sacrifice early in life to get to where I am now. Funny how that works.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:29 PM

9,931 posts, read 8,342,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I haven't owned a car in 15 years living abroad, although I can afford one.

Mostly because everywhere I've lived abroad has so many amenities just out the front door, and easy quick access to excellent public transportation. Plus a ton of just really enjoyable people-centered destination areas within short walking distances.

It's quite a shock when I visit family in Michigan, and there are no restaurants, stores, or even a vending machine in any easy to get to place. A strong sense of isolation. If you do walk on the side of busy highways without sidewalks, and get to a place, it still lacks any destination feel.

There are certainly walkable places in the U.S., but they are the exception rather than the norm. Living abroad, there are very few car-centric places. Although I must admit that even abroad, many people certainly love their cars.
Yes, if someone prefers to live in a country in which all or most of the cities have great public transportation and walkable areas and are well-connected by trains and such, then America isn't their place.

As others have said, America is largely car-centric and has been for decades. Americans love their cars. It's the prevailing lifestyle. That's why America has a highway system like probably no other country in the world does.

Having said that, the east coast of the U.S. is the region that is most like European countries in that it is less car-centric than other regions. Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C. form a 400-mile stretch of walkable, urban cities with good public transportation (which is continuously getting better). These cities are also well-connected by trains. So, if someone wants a car-free lifestyle that includes traveling car-free between cities, then they should choose to live in one of these east coast cities. It can be done.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-18-2011 at 10:49 PM..

Old 09-18-2011, 10:37 PM

11,573 posts, read 9,799,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Except that most Americans don't work 60 hours a week.
Add in the prep time to get ready for work, the commute time, back and forth, and? Get our your calculator!

Commuting is a stressful job in itself!

Old 09-18-2011, 10:49 PM

12,974 posts, read 19,629,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
As others have said, America is largely car-centric and has been for decades, because that's what Americans mostly want. Americans love their cars. It's the prevailing lifestyle. That's why America has a highway system like probably no other country in the world.
Personally, I think it's the automobile industry lobbyists that swayed government legislation more than anything.

Than once everything was set up with ripping out trolleys, suburban developers, zoning so commercial and residential are separated, and cheap gas, it just fed itself.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:17 PM

24,638 posts, read 14,753,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The US used to be the same way, up to about 50 years ago, back when downtown areas were still the centers of commerce and there was a corner store and pub in every neighborhood. Then the concept of shopping malls and interstate highways were introduced and the walkability of the country (and a large chunk of our sense of community) went with it.
Where I live (when I live) in the states, I can walk to everything.
I live in the city for that very reason.
I can take the bus to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Add in the prep time to get ready for work, the commute time, back and forth, and? Get our your calculator!

Commuting is a stressful job in itself!
Long commutes is a choice.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:02 AM

12,673 posts, read 13,434,611 times
Quote:
This depends on what you do. If you LOVE job then what not.

I LOVE my job so I never feel like I am at work. Its my hobby.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:04 AM

85 posts, read 115,283 times
America is famous for being a challenging country in every aspect, personal career, datin scene...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World