Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:06 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times

Advertisements

None in Sydney and that is very strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 10:10 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,379 times
The list shows most of the construction in emerging countries------showing what we know that major construction projects in the United States are at a standstill.

I hope we see a recovery here-----lets put people back to work and get our nation moving.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:50 AM

191 posts, read 788,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Didn't expect to see Manila. I mean, I knew they had a pretty good skyline already...

PHOTOS *Antipolo (Province-of-Rizal), VIEW IMAGES philippines 3887

Top 25 Highrise Skylines & Top 25 Historical Skylines - Page 9 - SkyscraperCity

but it's gonna be crazy to see how it is in years to come.
That is one incredible skyline. I'm used to seeing skylines from Shanghai or Dubai but this Manila skyline pretty much impresses me. I've learned that Manila used to be riddled with tons of Art Deco architecture (might call it an Art Deco city) until the Japaneses bomb Manila to ashes (literally) just when the Japanese where retreating the Philippines.

Yep...it's gonna be crazy in Manila in years to come.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:20 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yay for London. Its skyline is going to look so different in a few years time.

And this is only a small portion of the London skyline!
Yeah, London's skyline is already impressive. The portion in that pic is pretty much the City/Tower Bridge area. Canary Wharf looks nice too, and the Westminister Area with Big Ben and the Eye. I can't wait until the Shard (the really tall one under construction) is complete (should be in time for the 2012 Olympics).

Old 12-25-2011, 03:46 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
A fellow by the name of Mongo on another forum compiled these lists of the top cities worldwide that currently have new skyscrapers under construction, beginning with buildings of 100 or more metres in height, followed by 150m, 200m, and then 250m. Note that these are buildings currently under construction and not buildings in total.
Discuss.
There are a whole lot of aspects to cover. How many are commercial, residential and/or of mixed usage? If you have a link to your list, please post it.

Off my head, I'd like to know more about the constructions in Shanghai, because I heard the city is sinking .. its project to replicate the Manhattan skyline is on hold for lack of funds .. lots of unoccupied offices and condos too, it seems.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:49 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
I gotta say, Toronto has a fantastic skyline - easily the 3rd best in North America after NYC and Chicago.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f9/Toronto1234.png/800px-Toronto1234.png (broken link)

Despite Ontario being bankrupt, Toronto itself has so many skyscrapers under construction it's unbelievable, it's like it's experiencing its own little economc boom..

But a warning to Toronto, don't be fooled by booms, and by building thousands of new appartments..

My city, Leeds, in the UK, did the same thing during the early 2000's, during a massive building boom.. for many years the new apartments lay empty.. they're now mostly filled but it took ages to fill them!

Old 12-25-2011, 07:14 PM

191 posts, read 788,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
There are a whole lot of aspects to cover. How many are commercial, residential and/or of mixed usage? If you have a link to your list, please post it.

Off my head, I'd like to know more about the constructions in Shanghai, because I heard the city is sinking .. its project to replicate the Manhattan skyline is on hold for lack of funds .. lots of unoccupied offices and condos too, it seems.
From what I read from the internet and watched from the American television, China is due for a massive real estate bubble anytime now. I believe those fabulous skyscrapers anywhere in China are mostly either unoccupied with no owner or unoccupied but bought only to be sold at a higher price in the future (speculation - does this ring a bell America?). In fact, one of the news programs in the U.S. filmed one large Chinese city (can't remember the name) that's brand spanking new (new roads, high rise, shops, restaurants etc...) with barely anyone living in that city.The prediction is that the expected Chinese real estate bubble will much more massive than what the U.S has experienced in 2008.

And as I remember about a year ago, Burj Khalifa (or Burj Dubai ) was about 18 percent filled capacity.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:43 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
I know now why Sydney is not in the list as the tallest building there is Centerpoint Tower and it was built over 30 years ago at 1000 feet high. No other building is allowed to go any higher than that. However Sydney has more skyscrapers than other city in Australia.

Melbourne is in list the OP mentioned and that is not surprising. Already there is an building there that is taller than any building in Sydney and its the Eureka tower.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:09 AM

4 posts, read 10,444 times
Friends this is an old report check this out mumbI is first on all the list List of tallest buildings in Mumbai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-09-2014, 01:23 AM

4 posts, read 10,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I gotta say, Toronto has a fantastic skyline - easily the 3rd best in North America after NYC and Chicago.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...oronto1234.png (broken link)

Despite Ontario being bankrupt, Toronto itself has so many skyscrapers under construction it's unbelievable, it's like it's experiencing its own little economc boom..

But a warning to Toronto, don't be fooled by booms, and by building thousands of new appartments..

My city, Leeds, in the UK, did the same thing during the early 2000's, during a massive building boom.. for many years the new apartments lay empty.. they're now mostly filled but it took ages to fill them!

In
National capital region of india(delhi and surrounding ie noida,gurgaon) more than half o apartments are booked as soon the first pillar is laid...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World