Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 09:43 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,313,184 times

Advertisements

The term of first world etc is questionable and depends on who's or which standards and who is setting the parameters? These are not definitive absolutes at all by any means. These are more so relative. Poverty is relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 12:39 PM

16,459 posts, read 10,478,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
...because it seems like the poorest cities in the world are always in hot desert/tropical climate. Look at most of the world class cities. They have non tropical climates like NYC, London, Tokyo, Paris, etc.. Likewise, large and developing cities like Lagos, Mumbai, etc.. are tropical. Very few first world cities like Singapore are tropical. So, how many tropical cities in the world are first world. I can only count with 1 (or 2) hands...

Singapore
Miami
Honolulu (hesitant to put this one up here because it's really semi arid with microclimates)
Hilo
Cairns
maybe Kuala Lumpur

that's it.

There are some cities that are almost there like Rio but no cigar, whether due to lifestyle or climate.
I've found this thread to be so interesting that I decided to quit lurking and go ahead and sign up on City-Data, so I could put my two cents in. It seems that so many of the posters have been quibbling over the exact definitions of "first world" and "tropical" that they've missed what I see as the main point of the original post. As I see it, the observation being made is that there is a correlation between economic wealth/development and a climate that features seasonal variation; and conversely, there is a correlation between economic poverty and a hot or tropical climate.

This is something that I've noticed as well, and I've wondered about it. Is there something about living in a place that's always warm that makes people (as a group) less industrious? Given that I certainly don't feel like doing much work when it's hot and humid outside, I can understand it. In any case, it seems to me that this was the point of the original post, followed up with the question of which major cities with tropical climates are exceptions to this general pattern.

Incidentally, as much as I love Hilo, I don't think it can be counted in the list of "world class" cities, if for no other reason than its population is way too small. Though, without looking up the exact meterological defintions, I would guess that its climate is more "tropical" than Honolulu's.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:48 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,869,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Honolulu is actually located in the Tropical zone.

I thought Taipei was, but its not so I take back Taipei and replace it with Kaohsiung, Taiwan

Hong Kong is also located within the actual Tropical zone. Miami is not.
Not true, Miami IS in a tropical zone. I don't know why you would say Miami is not in a tropical zone. You would have been correct if you said something like Florida.. but Miami is actually the only tropical part of the entire continental United States.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:44 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,353,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Not true, Miami IS in a tropical zone. I don't know why you would say Miami is not in a tropical zone. You would have been correct if you said something like Florida.. but Miami is actually the only tropical part of the entire continental United States.
No, Miami is not in the tropics. Miami is subtropical.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:13 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,869,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
No, Miami is not in the tropics. Miami is subtropical.
I think we are all talking about two different things, 1) area and 2) climate. Technically the 'Tropics are between the Tropic of Cancer/Capricorn, so to say Miami resides in the Tropics is incorrect. But it does have a Tropical climate though as defined as a 'Tropical Monsoon Climate" as per Wikipedia

Old 02-13-2014, 03:29 PM

938 posts, read 1,511,578 times
First world:
You're happy when the police comes -- not afraid of them locking you up and asking for a bribe (low corruption)
You can drink the tap water and not get diarrhea. (adequate sanitation)
You can drive to the next large city without hitting traffic lights on the way (presence of freeway network: adequate transportation infrastructure)
You don't have a maid or servant unless you have Ferraris and a private jet (less income inequality)

This means Mumbai, Sao Paulo, and Jakarta are out.

Tropical (climate, not geographic):
People who remember the last time it snowed are grandparents or long dead.
You can grow coconut palm trees.

This means Houston, Osaka, and Riyadh are out

Big city:
There are direct transoceanic international flights
People who aren't from your country and who aren't geography nerds have heard of your city

This means Hilo, Cairns, and Nassau are out

Cities that fulfill all of these requirements?
Miami
Singapore
Honolulu

Old 02-13-2014, 04:11 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,441,177 times
Is Darwin, NT, Australia tropical?

Old 02-13-2014, 06:05 PM

14,831 posts, read 11,956,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
I think we are all talking about two different things, 1) area and 2) climate. Technically the 'Tropics are between the Tropic of Cancer/Capricorn, so to say Miami resides in the Tropics is incorrect. But it does have a Tropical climate though as defined as a 'Tropical Monsoon Climate" as per Wikipedia
If it lays outside the Tropics but has a climate similar to somewhere that is actually in the Tropics then doesn't that make it a subtropical climate? That's how I would define it?

Old 02-13-2014, 06:33 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,467,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Is Darwin, NT, Australia tropical?
Yes but it is even smaller and less connected to the world than Cairns.

Cairns actually has an international airport with direct flights into north east and south east Asia as well as a few other countries in our region.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,432 times
Thumbs down You don't know what your talking about.

Well i'm guessing you are very young and dumb or something you don't know what the hell your talking about!

There are MANY errors in your claims! obviously you have never been to Honolulu!
you say Miami is tropical (while it may have a climate that can basically be considered tropical it is not truly a tropical area and is subtropical but VERY close)

You say Hilo which yes is tropical but is not a "TRUE" city it has a population of only 40,000

You say Honolulu but you are hesitant to put it up because you think it might not be tropical! Are you nuts Honolulu is more Tropical than Rio and much more first world. Honolulu is more tropical than Singapore as well. or even Hilo! You obviously don't know what you are talking about at all.

Look on a map on Where the tropics of capricorn and cancer are located. Anything within those lines is in the tropics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
...because it seems like the poorest cities in the world are always in hot desert/tropical climate. Look at most of the world class cities. They have non tropical climates like NYC, London, Tokyo, Paris, etc.. Likewise, large and developing cities like Lagos, Mumbai, etc.. are tropical. Very few first world cities like Singapore are tropical. So, how many tropical cities in the world are first world. I can only count with 1 (or 2) hands...

Singapore
Miami
Honolulu (hesitant to put this one up here because it's really semi arid with microclimates)
Hilo
Cairns
maybe Kuala Lumpur

that's it.

There are some cities that are almost there like Rio but no cigar, whether due to lifestyle or climate.

Last edited by Rozenn; 02-28-2014 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: Rude / Copyrighted material
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World