Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 09:38 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Sure....

Sure again....

...and skiing at the Blue Mountains can be even better than Whistler....shhh...
One of the most famous ocean beaches in the northeastern U.S.

Doesn't see how it looks that different from Wasaga and Sandbanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24fKhKwQEfs

If anything I think the average summer water temperature is warmer at Wasaga and Sandbanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 10:22 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
One of the most famous ocean beaches in the northeastern U.S.

If anything I think the average summer water temperature is warmer at Wasaga and Sandbanks.

Play enough with a camera viewing angle and I can show you a crowded political event where only 20 people attend.

Report back when you find these beaches, these waters, these tropical colors in Canada...I understand settling with what you have but...

Old 12-03-2014, 10:28 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
What's with these leopard-themed bikinis? Tacky.

Anyway, I don't see the fundamental difference in swimming in a big lake and the ocean.

A picture.

Dude....the fact that you even posted that in a conversation about beaches....

Quote:

Of course they don't look any different - they all are lower than mediocre! My heart aches watching these poor people get stuck with these places.

Seriously, places like these beaches in Ontario and Maine are a complete joke compared to real beaches. They are taking what they can get. Notice that no one is in the water. Hardly anyone even on the beach in the first place. Even here hundreds of miles south, the beach sucks. The beaches on the islands of Greece the beaches suck. Even in Florida most of the beaches are pretty mediocre, but you finally hit a region where you can find something worth going to. On the west coast even going all the way down to San Diego the beach is only mediocre with some exceptions like La Jolla Cove (temperatures only around 23 degrees is completely inadequate for beach going). Notice that in those videos hardly anyone is even in the water, let alone actually swimming out into the ocean or engaging in water sports.

Real beach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcIOX_eo7VU

Notice everyone with bronze tans? Surfing? This one beach alone (considered overrated in Australia) blows all Canadian notions of what a "beach" or "summertime" is out of the water, and then some.

Real beach #2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egvahLUB970

Notice the people far out into the water. Surfing, paddle boarding, boogie boarding. Hot girls tanning, bronzed bodies. This is a real beach!

Not a real beach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2574JzKi88s

What he calls "Toronto's Riveria" is full of pasty white people not even going in the water. Half of them with t-shirts on. And we know the high temperature in the dead of summer is what - only 26C? That hardly qualifies as beach weather at those northern latitudes, and what if it's cloudy or even barely below average then forget about it. Where are the people surfing? Even paddle boarding or boogie boarding? Even with all the marketing that the video is trying to sell us, it is extremely depressing to see people get stuck with this as a "beach". Hardly comparable to Australia in any way. The only reason to go to this kind of "beach" is because it is all you have. I am literally sadder after watching the video of these people at this "beach".

Last edited by hobbesdj; 12-03-2014 at 10:38 AM..

Old 12-03-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
The beaches on the islands of Greece the beaches suck. Even in Florida most of the beaches are pretty mediocre, but you finally hit a region where you can find something worth going to. On the west coast even going all the way down to San Diego the beach is only mediocre with some exceptions like La Jolla Cove (temperatures only around 23 degrees is completely inadequate for beach going). Notice that in those videos hardly anyone is even in the water, let alone actually swimming out into the ocean or engaging in water sports.
I do not agree at all with Greek beaches being mediocre....a beach does not need to be one mile wide to be a "real" beach...it is a combination of factors.

You can find very good beaches in Cali and Florida for sure...even the Gulf of Mexico or in the Carolinas you can find hidden gems...

But I totally agree on the Great Lakes beaches...they get what they can....another that make me laugh is when people rave about the "beautiful beaches" of Vancouver.....

People confuse sandbars with "beaches"....

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-03-2014 at 10:43 AM..

Old 12-03-2014, 10:53 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I do not agree at all with Greek beaches being mediocre....a beach does not need to be one mile wide to be a "real" beach...it is a combination of factors.

You can find very good beaches in Cali and Florida for sure.

But I totally agree on the Great Lakes beaches...they get what they can....another that make me laugh is when people rave about the "beautiful beaches" of Vancouver.....
In my opinion the beaches in Greece were maybe as good as the ones here in Maryland/Delaware. Lots of pebble coasts and no "beach culture", but better sunnier and hotter weather without the humidity and mosquitos (and jellyfish, don't forget those). But South Carolina is heaps better than here, Florida far better than SC, and Mexico (Cancun, Cabo San Lucas) better than Florida, and Hawaii better than Mexico. I can't realistically consider anything north of southern New Jersey to be a real beach in the sense of swimming in the water etc. Places like Nantucket are fine to walk across and look at, but the farthest north on the east coast where you can realistically go in the water and have a "beach day" is somewhere around here (MD/DE/NJ). But compared to some boreal lake in Canada, the Greek Islands are the most incredible set of beaches ever.

In this conversation, the beaches in a place like Vancouver have no place. For all intents and purposes none of these places should be counted as "beaches" in the same sense as Miami Beach, etc. Anyone who thinks something in Vancouver simply has no clue. The same goes for the great lakes. In my opinion every human being deserves to experience during their lifetime.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
In my opinion the beaches in Greece were maybe as good as the ones here in Maryland/Delaware. Lots of pebble coasts and no "beach culture", but better sunnier and hotter weather without the humidity and mosquitos (and jellyfish, don't forget those). But South Carolina is heaps better than here, Florida far better than SC, and Mexico (Cancun, Cabo San Lucas) better than Florida, and Hawaii better than Mexico. I can't realistically consider anything north of southern New Jersey to be a real beach in the sense of swimming in the water etc. Places like Nantucket are fine to walk across and look at, but the farthest north on the east coast where you can realistically go in the water and have a "beach day" is somewhere around here (MD/DE/NJ). But compared to some boreal lake in Canada, the Greek Islands are the most incredible set of beaches ever.

In this conversation, the beaches in a place like Vancouver have no place. For all intents and purposes none of these places should be counted as "beaches" in the same sense as Miami Beach, etc. Anyone who thinks something in Vancouver simply has no clue. The same goes for the great lakes. In my opinion every human being deserves to experience during their lifetime.
I've been to Bondi, I've been to Surfers Paradise. They are nice beaches for sure but I still maintain there's nothing that spectacular about Bondi as shown in the video for example compared to Wasaga or Sandbanks. Or Parlee Beach at Shediac or Brackley or Cavendish on PEI.

Now... Cape Tribulation in northern Queensland. Now you're talking.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
In my opinion the beaches in Greece were maybe as good as the ones here in Maryland/Delaware. Lots of pebble coasts, but better sunnier and hotter weather without the humidity and mosquitos (and jellyfish, don't forget those), "no beach culture". But South Carolina is heaps better than here, Florida far better than SC, and Mexico (Cancun, Cabo San Lucas) and Hawaii are light years better than Florida. I can't realistically consider anything north of southern New Jersey to be a real beach in the sense of swimming in the water etc. Places like Nantucket are fine to walk across and look at, but the farthest north on the east coast where you can realistically go in the water and have a "beach day" is somewhere around here (MD/DE/NJ). But compared to some boreal lake in Canada, the Greek Islands are the most incredible set of beaches ever.

Remember that Greece can offer a very diverse landscape depends on where you go...

As I said before, you can find hidden gems in the Carolinas and the Gulf of Mexico (many people thinks that oil drilling has turned everything into a vinaigrette)

Quote:
I can't realistically consider anything north of southern New Jersey to be a real beach in the sense of swimming in the water etc.

The beaches of Oregon, Washington state and the west coast of Vancouver island have some of the many great beaches elements (the majesty, the power of the ocean) but lack too many essential elements to be livable/pleasant.

Vancouver or Seattle all they have are some ugly sandbars....

Old 12-03-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I've been to Bondi, I've been to Surfers Paradise. They are nice beaches for sure but I still maintain there's nothing that spectacular about Bondi as shown in the video for example compared to Wasaga .or Sandbanks. Or Parlee Beach at Shediac or Brackley or Cavendish on PEI.

You really gotta be kidding man.....everything is different...the only thing in common is the presence of sand and water....

Old 12-03-2014, 11:50 AM

What you guys are posting about beaches is more a question of personal preferences than it is anything related to "practical possibilities".

I won't exaggerate by saying today is a swimmable day in Lake Ontario simply because the water isn't frozen (yet), but the truth is you *can* swim in it in acceptable temperatures for most people during a decent portion of the year. That's it's not good enough for you guys for reasons of perceived esthetics or some other factors does not change the fact that there are numerous places in Canada where you can swim outdoors in totally acceptable conditions in the summer, and millions of people do it. It's not just because these people are crazy and settle for the glass being half-full because they have no choice.

When it's 30C or more outside and sunny, and the water is at 25C, that's perfectly fine for swimming for most humans. Some would like it hotter, and some are OK with doing polar bear swims in freezing water, but for most of us, what I described above is perfectly fine.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
What you guys are posting about beaches is more a question of personal preferences than it is anything related to "practical possibilities".

I won't exaggerate by saying today is a swimmable day in Lake Ontario simply because the water isn't frozen (yet), but the truth is you *can* swim in it in acceptable temperatures for most people during a decent portion of the year. That's it's not good enough for you guys for reasons of perceived esthetics or some other factors does not change the fact that there are numerous places in Canada where you can swim outdoors in totally acceptable conditions in the summer, and millions of people do it. It's not just because these people are crazy and settle for the glass being half-full because they have no choice.

When it's 30C or more outside and sunny, and the water is at 25C, that's perfectly fine for swimming for most humans. Some would like it hotter, and some are OK with doing polar bear swims in freezing water, but for most of us, what I described above is perfectly fine.

Yes, as we said before nobody here is stating that you cannot technically swim in the water in some places in Canada......the same for skiing, you can technically ski in Australia and you do have mountains....but I would not dare to compare the Snowy Mountains of Australia to the Rockies so please do not compare the great lakes beaches with Australia beaches...that's all....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World