Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:13 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
"As Occupy Wall Street protesters entered their 18th day calling for equality and government reform in New York City's financial district, 2,700 miles away Moscow residents joined in solidarity among other nationwide protests.
Moscow resident Mel Leviton spearheaded an Occupy Moscow rally through Facebook that ran noon-7 p.m. in Friendship Square."

Who is Mel Leviton and where are the Russians?
Dang Wikipedia! You're right that seems to be Moscow, Idaho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 10:56 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Well, few countries have the Trust Fund babies who can afford to sit around playing bongo drums all day long. For the most part, outside the U.S. and a few European countries, people get up, take a shower, and then go to work.

Winter is coming; the bongo players will eventually have to go indoors.
Feel the same way about the teabaggers.
Go figure.

Trust fund babies? How about, like your teabaggers, they're making time for something that they think is important.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:58 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Feel the same way about the teabaggers.
Go figure.

Trust fund babies? How about, like your teabaggers, they're making time for something that they think is important.
My teabaggers? Point out the post where I claim to be a Tea Party supporter. I note that the Tea Party has made a political impact in the latest elections. Will the Trust Fund babies do likewise? I doubt it.

The Wall Street Journal reported on a couple of surveys of the OWS people that showed that the OWS are of the same leftist mentality that go and disrupt G8 meetings.

Go and bang on your bongo if it makes you feel better.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Are you telling me there is not PLENTY of people actively seeking and willing to work? Even people with degrees are struggling to find menial jobs never mind a job in the field they trained for. And with tv programmes being shown here in the UK offering jobs to young people in Starbucks, Argos etc and having thousands of people apply it shows you that a lot of people are desperate to work and don't really care where.

Fury at BBC for offering jobs as prizes to unemployed in 'cruel' gameshow | Mail Online

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/12/business/uk-unemployment-highes (broken link)
The Wall Street Journal this week reported that many farm jobs are going begging in places like Idaho (potatoes) and Georgia (peanuts). The OWS bongo beaters won't take these jobs however, since they are far from a Starbucks and the national media outlets.

So, Paul in Dundee, what is your recommendation to a young OWS bongo beater, who has a B.A. in Bongo Performance, and wants to be employed at, say US$100,000 per year? Does the government force a company to hire this person just because?

Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
There is jobs going but not no where near enough, 50+ people applying for every one vacancy. You seem to think it a piece of p*** to get a job, I can clearly see plenty of good people from where I live trying desperately to find employment and severely struggling to get even a menial job.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:21 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
Well maybe in Dundee there is mass unemployment, but looking out my window I see a country where they import labourers from Bangladesh, Myanmar, Indonesia, the Philippines, Pakistan and etc. to do the jobs the locals won't do. Thus, a local who is unemployed has chosen to be unemployed.

The OWS bongo-players are willfully unemployed. Don't blame corporations for the actions of the lazy.

Yet you're behind a computer. You're just as lazy as those so-called bongo players. Get off the computer and do something about it.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:01 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Unemployment in Leeds is currently around 4% and youth unemployment is currently around 4%, and my sister recently got a job at a school despite not going to college or university.. though understandably not everywhere is fortunate enough to have such fantastic figures (and Dundee is a bit of a dump)

Getting a job is hard, fair enough, but not impossible. It may take months, but you will find a job eventually. And if you can't, then go somewhere else. Places like York saw a reduction in their unemployed in 2011, they are doing something right and aren't even in the South East?

And British tabloids are hardly the place to get reliable information from. They are well known for over-exaggerating a problem and scare-mongering.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Yet you're behind a computer. You're just as lazy as those so-called bongo players. Get off the computer and do something about it.
I do a large part of my work behind a computer. Get over it.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:23 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,647,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Unemployment in Leeds is currently around 4% and youth unemployment is currently around 4%, and my sister recently got a job at a school despite not going to college or university.. though understandably not everywhere is fortunate enough to have such fantastic figures (and Dundee is a bit of a dump)

Getting a job is hard, fair enough, but not impossible. It may take months, but you will find a job eventually. And if you can't, then go somewhere else. Places like York saw a reduction in their unemployed in 2011, they are doing something right and aren't even in the South East?

And British tabloids are hardly the place to get reliable information from. They are well known for over-exaggerating a problem and scare-mongering.
I find that hard to believe - you got a link? I found this which gives the Leeds figure for April this year at a much more believable 10% (top of page 2) :
http://www.leedscityregion.co.uk/upl...ril%202011.pdf

Old 10-25-2011, 11:35 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
I do a large part of my work behind a computer. Get over it.

Does that work include inane ranting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World