Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is overall better?
Sweden 36 43.37%
Québec 47 56.63%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:56 AM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

What are some good cities in Quebec with beautiful old architecture and downtowns in Quebec aside from Quebec City and Montreal? Any pictures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 08:48 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What are some good cities in Quebec with beautiful old architecture and downtowns in Quebec aside from Quebec City and Montreal? Any pictures?
After Montreal and Quebec City, you have a tier of cities in the 150,000-200,000 range: Gatineau, Saguenay (formerly Chicoutimi), Trois-Rivières and Sherbrooke.

Probably the best looking old downtown of the bunch is Trois-Rivières, which has buildings like this:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=vieux...tm%3B800%3B600

The others are not decrepit or dangerous, but they are not super-exciting either:

Sherbrooke was initially built by New Englanders fleeing the American Revolution:
http://centrevillesherbrooke.ca/wp-c...06/centro2.jpg

Gatineau is an old lumber town (also originally settled by New Englanders), that had become an administrative centre, so its downtown has a few nice areas (very small) surrounded by office towers and scores of very ordinary looking builldings.
http://goo.gl/maps/Eyw4a

Saguenay I am less familiar with but the downtown looks like this:
http://wallyzone.net/webalbumv2/imag...outimiNord.jpg

After that many of the cities in the next tier were originally industrial cities. They would have a few nice buildings in the centre of town, often a huge cathedral, a presbytery (where the priest lived), a convent or a monastery, and often an old historic college as well.

When you get down to smaller villages and towns there are quite a few more attractive places to see:
LES PLUS BEAUX VILLAGES DU QUÉBEC

Old 10-23-2013, 09:48 AM

124 posts, read 122,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I wonder where all the islamic fundamentalist are. I have never seen one.
Malmö, Rosengård, Tensta, Botkyrka Kommun, Rinkeby, Kista and other suburban ghettos.
Sweden has 5% Muslims and increasing.

Kista Centrum was like 80% Somalians

Old 10-23-2013, 01:42 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambados View Post
Malmö, Rosengård, Tensta, Botkyrka Kommun, Rinkeby, Kista and other suburban ghettos.
Sweden has 5% Muslims and increasing.

Kista Centrum was like 80% Somalians
How do you know they are all fundamentalists?

Did you know that Rosengård is a neighbourhood in the city of Malmö?
Did you know that not all of Botkyrka kommun (kommun=municipality) is a "ghetto".
Did you know that Kista is considered Swedens Silicon Valley?
Did you know that Kista Centrum is just a mall?
5 % isn´t exactly an overwhelming number.

Try again.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:17 PM

34 posts, read 96,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambados
less Islamic fundamentalist immigrants

This Lambados has some problems with Muslims I think so
Keep your ideas with yourself my friend.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
How do you know they are all fundamentalists?

Did you know that Rosengård is a neighbourhood in the city of Malmö?
Did you know that not all of Botkyrka kommun (kommun=municipality) is a "ghetto".
Did you know that Kista is considered Swedens Silicon Valley?
Did you know that Kista Centrum is just a mall?
5 % isn´t exactly an overwhelming number.

Try again.
I've been to Sweden numerous times and traveled throughout.
I know how it is over there. Indeed you may just watch on youtube and news media the problems in Swedish suburbs....

Old 10-23-2013, 04:55 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
It's not like Quebec doesn't have plenty of Muslims too though. It's a diverse province.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:09 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambados View Post
I've been to Sweden numerous times and traveled throughout.
I know how it is over there. Indeed you may just watch on youtube and news media the problems in Swedish suburbs....
And how likely do you think you are to experience such issues on a daily basis? Not likely at all, I bet. Sweden is a great country with beautiful towns and cities, stunning natural scenery and an amazing quality of life. I'm surprised Quebec is winning this one - not that there is anything wrong with Quebec.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
And how likely do you think you are to experience such issues on a daily basis? Not likely at all, I bet. Sweden is a great country with beautiful towns and cities, stunning natural scenery and an amazing quality of life. I'm surprised Quebec is winning this one - not that there is anything wrong with Quebec.
Doesn't matter. My wife is Swedish and I know how it is over there.
Outside of Sweden the country appears to look like paradise but what outsiders do not realize is that most suburbs with high rate of immigrants are all ghetto, extremely high taxes, expensive consumer goods, not that high wages for doctors and lawyers, high suicide rate, high youth unemployment rate, jante law, boring, and crappy weather most of the year.

Sweden is great place to live if you are poor or lazy.
I love the food though and clean and good taste tap water.

Southern Sweden where vast majority of people live does not have any mountains or beautiful scenery unfortunately... That's only northern part.
Quebec is just amazing!!

Old 10-23-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It's not like Quebec doesn't have plenty of Muslims too though. It's a diverse province.
Not as much as Sweden, and most Muslims in Quebec are secular and not Somalians. Canada has 2% Muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World