Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:41 AM

268 posts, read 877,909 times

Advertisements

The "Ruhr" is seen as one region. Rotterdam too, despite it is a part of the "Randstad", the core centre of Holland. It is very dense with cities growing into eachother. if you don't knwo it: More facts at: Randstad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 02:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,187 times
Default Your numbers are high, and based off what year ?

These statistics are a bit hyper American, I know for a fact that the MPLS ST Paul Metro, just passed Detroit, with the twin cities at 211, and Detroit at 204, it made some noise here in the midwest, and its the first time its ever happend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is a work in progress and these GDP numbers are based on research into several govt statistical sources, economic think tanks, chambers of commerce, local business resources etc. In some instances, I was aided by sources citing the percentage of a national economy is represented by a city or metro. Any and all insights and observations are welcomed and in fact requested.

In any event, I used the urban agglomeration map and chart from citypopulations.de to determine population.

I decided to use Nominal GDP instead of Purchasing Power Parity GDP because Im more interested in actual GDP instead of relative GDP.

The only Urban Area whose population I changed was London because I could not find a GDP stat that was similar to the 11 Million pop figure from citypopulations.de, so I combined London and Southeast England's populations and GDP(data from the online statistical portal of the UK govt).

added 10/16/2011. For Paris, the entire population of the Ile de France region was used instead of just the figure provided by citypopulation.de

I am also considering combining the Rhine-Ruhr Area, Milan and its surroundings, Shanghai and more its surroundngs as well as other cities depending on input from other forumers coroborrated by actual data.

For US urban agglomerations, these are the GDP stats for their CSA or uncombined MSA from the Bureau of Economic Analysis of the Commerce Department.

Amounts are in US Dollar using the currency exchange rates for Dec 31, 2010.

Here are the findings so far of the Top 50(actually 51). It could change as I add other cities that I havent calculated yet.

Here are urban agglomerations in the Top 50 as far as population, but not in the Top 50 as far as GDP

Old 10-03-2012, 03:24 AM

250 posts, read 503,046 times
This is the problem with citing GDP according to metropolitan areas; which are, in most cases, defined according to arbitrary and inconsistent indices of regional influence; or in many cases, not at all.

For example, the New York metropolitan area is a geographically immense 22 million population tri-state area, of which New York City itself only comprises 8 million population; whereas London's metropolitan area is comparatively much smaller. Using the simplest criteria, both New York City and London have regional influence far beyond their respective metropolitan areas, meaning that, for hugely influential global cities, such delineations are nothing more than politically defined boundaries at best. If you wish to bring London into parity with the concept of the metropolitan area employed for New York, your figures should incorporate territory well beyond the south-east of England.

I would advise that you just stick to the politically defined metropolitan areas as they are: Try to find the nominal GDP figures for the London metropolitan area proper; because your ad hoc criteria for redefining it leads to a disproportionate drop in GDP per capita.

Last edited by Citizen401; 10-03-2012 at 03:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World