Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 06:27 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,041 times

Advertisements

Friendly peeps

Canadians
Swedish ( And I am not a Swedish lover...)

Un:

Finnish
Native Americans (But still most beautiful...)
Russians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 08:07 AM

425 posts, read 653,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiippaKiwi View Post
Friendly peeps

Canadians
Swedish ( And I am not a Swedish lover...)

Un:

Finnish
Native Americans (But still most beautiful...)
Russians
Suomalaiset ovat tosi ystävällisiä juovuksissa!

Old 11-24-2011, 08:15 AM

973 posts, read 1,704,674 times
These questions are hard to answer and of course the answers are mainly generalizations, for in any nation, I think, it depends of several factors as to whether or not the people seem "friendly" or not and to me where you live within it is one of them, for being an American, I myself see the differences in people when I am in different states and even in different parts of the same state!

I also find it hard to believe that so many have been to all of the countries they listed when they write 5 for both categories, and wonder if they met these people on their own "turf".

But with all of this said, I guess what is really making me wonder all of this is that 5 people listed Serbian as being the unfriendliest, and to me I found that odd...first maybe because that country is hardly on the "travel" list of most people and second, I have had nothing but positive experiences with these people in the 3 cities I have been in. I admit the salesclerks are not that friendly, nor are police as a rule, but the general populace I found to be mostly so (unless you are on an overpacked bus ), and this is why: They are most hospitable when you are invited to their homes or even when you just drop in; they do no have much, but will share with visitors all that they have or even pay for coffee if they ask you to go for a cup; when I sit in the park, I have always had someone stop and begin a conversation; my dealing with cab drivers have been wonderful (one offered me his second phone when I discovered I left my charger at home; another who didn't know English tried to comfort me when I was crying my last night in Belgrade); whenever I was lost, I never had anyone who refused to help me (except the police), and one man even almost walked me to my destination; when I needed help due to the language, people always helped me. To me, the people are the one reason why I fell in love with the country my first time there, so I am not sure I would believe all who had written otherwise... but again too, a poll like this is more subjective than objective and it really is too hard to classify a whole nation when it is so diverse.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:34 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnderMyKilt View Post
Suomalaiset ovat tosi ystävällisiä juovuksissa!

Joo, mitä nyt hakkaavat toisiaan ja vieraitaan henkihieveriin nakkarilla...

Old 11-24-2011, 12:28 PM

425 posts, read 653,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiippaKiwi View Post
Joo, mitä nyt hakkaavat toisiaan ja vieraitaan henkihieveriin nakkarilla...
Onnellisesti en yleensä käy nakkarille tapaamaan suomalaisia...

Cultural tip for non-Finns: they're like Germans when sober and like Russians when drunk.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:40 PM

614 posts, read 3,210,492 times
Friendliest;

Italians
Brazilians
Greeks
Filipinos
Irish

Unfriendliest;

Portuguese
Argentines
Serbians
Bulgarians
Russians

Old 11-24-2011, 12:59 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnderMyKilt View Post
Onnellisesti en yleensä käy nakkarille tapaamaan suomalaisia...

Cultural tip for non-Finns: they're like Germans when sober and like Russians when drunk.
Bwa-ha-haaa))))
That reminded me of one particular case when I was interpreting for this Finnish lady, who was a (classical) piano player performing in the USSR. I think it was in St. Pet; we went for a cup of coffee after the concert and then, when we came back to our hotel, we were greeted by the most obnoxious and loud drunk crowd in the lobby. She was like "who are these people - are they Finns?! I've never seen anything like that!!"
I've said "yeah, these are Finnish tourists," then rushed her to her room and literally shut the door in this guy's face that followed her.
She asked me to never mention to anyone in that crowd that she could speak Finnish)))) ( As if I was going to))))

Old 11-24-2011, 01:08 PM

679 posts, read 660,593 times
Friendlist:
Austrians
Croatians
Slovenes
Ukrainians
Danes

Unfriendilist:
Southern USA (Fake friendliness and most people I have met from there are beyond bigoted)
British (Beyond arrogant)
Israeli (Self entitled)
Japanese (Close minded)
Chinese (Superficial)

Old 11-24-2011, 01:10 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Friendliest:

Canadian
American
Swedish
Irish
Dutch

Least:

French
Japanese
Russian
Australian
Spanish

Old 11-24-2011, 01:49 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post

I also find it hard to believe that so many have been to all of the countries they listed when they write 5 for both categories, and wonder if they met these people on their own "turf".
From the 10 nationalities I listed
I've met...

Japanese in
Japan, USA, Netherlands

South Koreans in
Japan, USA, Netherlands

Filipinos in
Japan, Singapore, Netherlands, USA

Indonesians in
Netherlands, Singapore, Japan and on a cruise ship in the Caribbean

Thai in
Singapore, Netherlands, Japan

French in
France, Belgium, Netherlands

Russians in
Japan, Netherlands, Germany, USA, England, Turkey and on a cruise ship in the Caribbean

Moroccans in
Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany

Serbians in
Netherlands, Germany, Belgium

Bosnians in
Netherlands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World