Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 03:10 PM

126 posts, read 252,797 times

Advertisements

What would you do first if you were put in charge of developing a poor country like Malawi for example. Assuming that you won't get any help whatsoever from the outside world(ex: no foreign experts, no construction companies, no nothing). You just get to use the tools, resources and capital inside Malawi for example at that moment.
Would you develop:
Education first?
The society?
Or infrastructure+industry?

Tell me what you'd do first and why?
Just for fun!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 01:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,746 times
At first, you must understand clearly about your country. Advantage & disadvantage. I think economy is the most important. So you should attach special importance to it first.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:03 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
If I had to develop India, I'd demolish the whole thing and start from scratch.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:11 AM

896 posts, read 268,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
If I had to develop India, I'd demolish the whole thing and start from scratch.

Right idea, wrong continent

Old 11-24-2011, 02:12 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx85339 View Post
Right idea, wrong continent
He never specified a continent.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:28 AM

896 posts, read 268,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
He never specified a continent.
ah, re-read the post and OP said "for example" Malawi

my bad

Old 11-24-2011, 02:42 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflguy2012 View Post
What would you do first if you were put in charge of developing a poor country like Malawi for example. Assuming that you won't get any help whatsoever from the outside world(ex: no foreign experts, no construction companies, no nothing). You just get to use the tools, resources and capital inside Malawi for example at that moment.
Would you develop:
Education first?
The society?

Just for fun!!!!!!!!!
I'd beg for the West to cancel my debt from interest payments.

Most of these countries get in debt from the World Bank and other western organizations doing development programs. Once they get in debt, they have high interest rates. So, they basically stay in debt.

Once heavily in debt, they aren't really free to do anything, but try to pay back their debtors.

There are some movements to 'free' Africa and other '3rd world' nation from their debts, just on interest payments alone. Just so they can have the luxery to do the stuff they need to do. Not only that, but the first world keeps them in debt by 'demanding' that their natural resources are given freely and easily and accessable to foreign nations who have more corporate leverage, etc.

In short, if I were a country like Malawai, I'd be for mercy to erase that debt, and to be allowed to start afresh and new, completely independent from all those outside interests trying to take a piece of me.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:52 AM

425 posts, read 653,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflguy2012 View Post
Would you develop:
Education first?
The society?

Just for fun!!!!!!!!!
Economic development flows from productive industrial activity. I would establish SEZs in Malawi whereby all gains on commercial capital investment, value-added production and exports would be taxed at 0% for a defined period of time. To participate in the SEZ, companies would have to invest in physical plant and/or human capital.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:04 AM

668 posts, read 2,186,962 times
I would get the people of Malawi to cooperate with me first... Get to know the language and culture.

Then, I would look for water, (as in most poor Third World Countries, this is a precious comodity to everyone! I would have the people help me dig wells, so that they could have clean fresh water.

I would go to every tribe thats out in the bush, and, after learning thier language, (dialects differ from every part of a Nation)... Then, continue doing this over and over again, until as many villages I can get to, has some kind of water source, and doesnt have to depend on the infrequent rains.

(Having Topographical Maps, and Maps made from Space to locate water sources would be a huge plus, so I would carry them with me everywhere.

After that, I would try and make peace between tribes, because, the only way you can get anything done, is to have peace in the Nation, and people working 'with' each other, then 'against' each other.

Having helped one tribe, I would introduce them to the next one, and so forth and etc....

Your not going to get roads and bridges built, unless you have the lumber, and concrete, and the know how to do such a thing, so, before I embarked on this great adventure, I would go to college and take an Engineering Course, so I can better help those who are in need of it.

One man can make a difference, but only so far, then he would need help. If people saw, that the populace of the Country were trying to make strides to better themselves, then the World would start getting involved..But, first, it takes that one man to get the ball rolling

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 11-24-2011, 04:14 AM

126 posts, read 252,797 times
Nice posts everyone...keep it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World