Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,005 times

Advertisements

I wonder how much of the purported annoying features being mentioned or talked about are really associations with the speaking style or attitude of the speakers rather than the phonetic features of the language themselves.

For instance, some people mention volume or loudness. As far as I can tell, no language has volume as part of its grammar or phonology. You can say something quietly and say something loudly in any language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:37 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haowen Wong View Post
Mandarin. It is shrill and melodramatic.

Cantonese isn't too bad; at least it has smoother tones (it's my first language). Hokkien is choppy but at least it's funny. Shanghainese is very rapid and fluid; sounds almost polysyllabic/agglutinative, sort of like Japanese.

In Europe, German takes the cake for being harsh.

have you ever heard Dutch spoken?

everything you think is harsh in German is doubled in dutch

Old 04-10-2012, 09:37 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I wonder how much of the purported annoying features being mentioned or talked about are really associations with the speaking style or attitude of the speakers rather than the phonetic features of the language themselves.

For instance, some people mention volume or loudness. As far as I can tell, no language has volume as part of its grammar or phonology. You can say something quietly and say something loudly in any language.

I think that if a language is spoken by the majority of its speakers in a loud or quiet way for instance it is a legitimate factor in determining your like/dislike for a particular language. Whilst it may not strictly be phonological it does affect your perceptions of the language as a whole.

Its true though that there are many cultural/political/economic factors beyond the features of a language itself that influence people's preferences, that's human nature.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:33 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,297 times
I find Cantonese the most pleasantly sounding Chinese dialect (even though it's completely uninteligible to me.)[/quote]

You must have well-brought -up people around you then. Many Cantonese native-speakers speak in rather aggressive and loud tones but that is considered normal My best friend, who is one, denies they are rough : I should know because I hear it daily....

Old 04-11-2012, 02:22 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,190 times
Vietnamese and other Southest Asian languages sounds like they are yelling in a market-place, very harsh.
Not a fan of Scandanavian languages either.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:22 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
I hate the Russian language with a passion, I hate everything about it. It is an ugly language.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:57 PM

207 posts, read 707,468 times
There's alot of Vietnamese here in Chicago, and they sound funny than annoying to me, lol.

Tagalog and Filipino dialects sound very weird to me. Some talk too fast, it's like their sentence is a one whole long word. No pauses.

Hebrew is another funny sounding language. Especially if spoken by a non native.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM

771 posts, read 1,395,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkSam View Post
There's alot of Vietnamese here in Chicago, and they sound funny than annoying to me, lol.

Tagalog and Filipino dialects sound very weird to me. Some talk too fast, it's like their sentence is a one whole long word. No pauses.

Hebrew is another funny sounding language. Especially if spoken by a non native.
I agree. I have a Vietnamese friend and when she speaks it, I tend to at least crack a smile. It has a very loop sound to it. Like a very stereotypical Asian launguage when it's beeing spoofed or something.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:04 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
I think that if a language is spoken by the majority of its speakers in a loud or quiet way for instance it is a legitimate factor in determining your like/dislike for a particular language. Whilst it may not strictly be phonological it does affect your perceptions of the language as a whole.

Its true though that there are many cultural/political/economic factors beyond the features of a language itself that influence people's preferences, that's human nature.
Agreed.

I would say this about Spanish. Just the way the speakers speak it more than the language itself. I find the way newsreaders speak less jarring.

Vietnamese sounds plain weird. Also like Derek says, it sounds like everyone is just shouting.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:54 AM

85 posts, read 123,435 times
Best
Polish
English (American/Canadian)
Italian
Swedish

Worst
Any Middle-Eastern language
English (British)
French
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World