U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:36 AM

189 posts, read 522,940 times

Advertisements

I don't understand how you can classify a language annoying.
But there are some accents which leaves me with the "WHATTT? blank expression.
1. Brooklyn Accent - especially if it was used by an African-American. I get overwhelmed then I realized I'm not paying attention to what he/she is saying but rather to his accent.

I've always love languages and cultures. Nothing annoys me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 11:41 AM

9,322 posts, read 18,545,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Dutch - it always sounds like the speaker is clearing their throat just before spitting on the sidewalk
Danish sounds wrong (to me):

Danish language - YouTube

Old 12-13-2011, 11:56 AM

2,104 posts, read 4,289,288 times
I think Tagalog, Vietnamese and Hindi are pretty irritating to listen to. Also (not a real language) but I can't stand listening to "Spanglish"! Bostonians are also horrendous to listen to as well as people from Brooklyn.

All of this was written tongue-in-cheek, but I'm sure it won't take long for somebody here to get all offended and cause this thread to be shut down.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:00 PM

15,371 posts, read 32,982,689 times
Tagalog

Old 12-13-2011, 12:44 PM

145 posts, read 371,083 times
Listening to people speak German is like ear rape. I'd also say that French Canadian is one of the worst, it's truly dreadful sounding.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:15 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,927,787 times
I have found that when a language or rather sound of the language grates on my ears it is because I don't understand the language and haven't heard it much. It's like music, I have a friend who is a musician he told me several years ago that he just couldn't stand Avant- Garde Jazz. He said it sounded like a traffic accident on a bandstand. I didn't see him for some time then i ran into him not so long ago. I asked what he was listening to. He told me he was really into William Parker. I was stunned because Parker is a major force in the AG movement.H e said he was turned onto it from a friend and after some listening he got used to the new sounds and became a fan after a time.

At home my folks spoke Italian. As kids we all spoke it in my neighborhood. Or rather we butchered it and spoke some kind of mish-mosh of Neapolitan, Calabrese and Sicilian. Later because I was used to the sound I lived in Spain and the language came easily. I like the sound of Castilian but the Andalusian dialect is more expressive to me.

As a teen I lived in California and became friends with a lot of Japanese- Americans. Later I went to Japan to study and stayed 10 years. I married a Japanese girl and we were together for 44 years. Japanese was the "lengua franca" in our house and all my kids speak it as well as Spanish (their first language) and English. Though my studies in Japanese language I had to learn to learn the Japanese form of the Chinese language and so I studied some modern Chinese as well. I like the sound of Mandarin Chinese and I find the language is very expressive after you learn a little. I did not learn Korean at the time but after several years of living among Korean people I have picked up some of it. At first I didn't really care for the sound but as time went on I changed and I feel that it is a language that expresses emotion very well.

The only reason i can honestly think of for not liking a certain language is that one has had a bad experience like many WWII era Europeans and the German language or Koreans of the same era with Japanese. The only thing I find unpleasant is the accent of the Southern US. Why? I had a couple of bad experiences there and it stuck with me. It is illogical but that is what happened.

Most people learn English because it is the international language of business but I don't think it is more is and exceptionally "beautiful" language. It's just a language. But the mechanics of a language are different. English for a non-English speaker is full of orthographic and grammatical pitfalls and often appears that it is an anarchic language with no grammatical rhyme or reason. Spanish seems more logical in spite of the problems of conjugation inherited from Latin. The spelling is uniform and it has few irregular verbs. The grammar is much more consistent than English. And there is a reason for this. The Spanish have the Royal Academy of the Spanish language which is a body of linguistic scholars who are continually tweaking the language and keep a close eye on it. We have no such body in the English language so it often seems to spiral out of control. BTW it has just come to my attention that Spanish has passed English and is the second most spoken language, after Mandarin Chinese.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:19 PM

274 posts, read 383,640 times
Worst: Spanish
Best: Any slavic language

Old 12-13-2011, 02:31 PM

19,389 posts, read 17,519,482 times
To me Hebrew and Arabic sound annoying and ugly. Dutch, too, to a certain extent, also Scandinavian languages.
Tone languages like Mandarin sound weird, but not necessarily annoying.
Tamil sounds hectic

Funny so many people seem to like Portuguese, maybe they mean Brazilian Portuguese

Old 12-13-2011, 04:12 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,073,118 times
Best:
- Italian
- Romanian
- Swedish
- Japanese

Worst:
- Slavic languages
- Arabic / Hebrew
- Mandarin

Old 12-13-2011, 04:20 PM

31,610 posts, read 48,752,801 times
Hindi, Tamil, German... not a melody to the ears!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or