U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 04:24 PM

6,696 posts, read 11,044,332 times

Advertisements

Best:

Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese)
French
German
Spanish (Spain)

Worst:

Spanish (Mexican)
Chinese (Shanghainese)
Korean
Tagalog
Arabic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 07:04 PM

1,297 posts, read 1,593,228 times
Worst - arabic and french

Old 12-13-2011, 08:25 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,642,120 times
Best
French
Spanish (Spain)
Portugese

Worst
Russian
Arabic
German

Old 12-14-2011, 12:40 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,499,559 times
Worst - Arabic, Persian, Vietnamese, plus Irish English (this is the most annoying and worst sounding English accent IMHO)

Best - Southern English, Italian

Old 12-14-2011, 12:44 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,499,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Best:

Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese)
French
German
Spanish (Spain)

Worst:

Spanish (Mexican)
Chinese (Shanghainese)
Korean
Tagalog
Arabic
I have to comment on this. With Spanish it really does depend on who is saying it, it is very annoying to hear it from an illegal immigrant from Mexico or El Salvador, especially when they are on TV rallying for illegal aliens rights or when you are trying to get business done. But Spanish is pretty when spoken by other people including other regular Mexicans, or at least average sounding.

Now the Irish accent just sounds very bad no matter who speaks it. I know some people think the Irish accent is cute but I beg to differ it is one of the most annoying accents and barely sounds English. I know there is an actual Irish language and it probably sounds pretty bad. I have heard that the Welsh language is also very very annoying sounding. However I do like British English.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:18 AM

4,271 posts, read 4,944,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I hope this thread doesn't get banned or start an argument (as opposed to civilised debate)...

Anyway, I used to find Mandarin pretty annoying but actually now I don't think it's that bad.

Worst in Asia I think is out of Vietnamese, Cantonese and Thai in that order. Sometimes Vietnamese literally sounds like people shouting (if you're familiar with it). It's just plain weird to listen to. Thai is extremely nasal and harsh to my ears, and Cantonese is too tonal and also strange.

Best is probably Japanese...Korean, it depends on how it's spoken. If it's done in that whiney tone it's up there with the three mentioned above. I also find those three some of the weirdest. I never really got used to hearing Vietnamese and I couldn't pick up more than words.

Other ones would be Spanish...French can sometimes be annoying, it can sound pretentious. I'm not a fan of some of the Eastern European or Southern European languages that are spoken super-fast, but I kinda like Russian.
For me, Mandarin depends heavily on the person speaking. When some people speak it, I find it extremely ugly. However, there are some people who speak it beautifully, in my opinion.

Vietnamese, I find extremely annoying. I grew up in an area with a whole lot of Vietnamese speakers, and I still can't stand the sound of that language.

I'm one who finds French to be very ugly, also. I've never understood why people find it to be sexy.

The other languages I don't like the sound of are Korean and Cantonese.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:01 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,001,159 times
I think that French and Italian are beautiful, probably the most beautiful, both in written form and spoken in a variety of accents. I also love Romanian, Russian, the Celtic languages, English (especially some Southern American English, Scottish and Irish English), and some North Germanic languages.

On the other hand, neither Dutch nor German seem particularly appealing when spoken, although I wouldn't go as far as to say they're annoying and it's more a matter of who's speaking, their tone of voice, their accent, etc. They can sound great to me sometimes, although not usually.

Vietnamese has come up several times here and I agree. I would extend that to most Asian languages (excluding the Middle East) in varying degrees. Again, it's not that they're "annoying" but, rather, not enticing. Edited to add: However, unlike Dutch and German, I can't think of any instance where I've thought they sounded great.

Last edited by noela; 12-14-2011 at 02:15 AM..

Old 12-14-2011, 03:28 AM

281 posts, read 647,790 times
Dutch has to be, without a doubt, among the most comical languages I ever heard.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:41 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,389,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Vietnamese, I find extremely annoying. I grew up in an area with a whole lot of Vietnamese speakers, and I still can't stand the sound of that language.
To me, a group of Vietnamese women talking sounds like hens clucking.

It's interesting that the Vietnamese think English speakers sound like snakes with our "s" and "sh" sounds.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:57 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,407,526 times
Vietnamese, Cambodian , Chinese and Thai to my untrained ears always sound loud, angry and aggressive. There is something "yappy" about it which I do not find attractive.

I must admit that as much as I love Germany and German people the German language to me always sounds like commands. As does Finnish and Estonian. Hungarian utterly baffles me but I quite like the sound of it.

I actually love Nordic languages, but to me Italian is the most beautiful language , musical and sweet to the ears. French is a beautiful language too. I love Portuguese , Welsh and Gaelic too. And Swahili.

Russian can be beautiful but it depends on the person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or