U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:01 AM

1,255 posts, read 1,931,733 times

Advertisements

A lot of it depends on the speaker. People shouting sound pretty foul in all languages, like seagulls in Chinese languages or mountain goats in Arabic.

I find Japanese the most soothing on the ear, Cantonese the most unpleasant. French sounds kind of dissonant and phlegmatic. I actually like German, though it's a little cold-sounding. Russian is nice, I like it the most of the slavic languages I've heard. My favorite romance language is a tie between some accents of Brazilian Portuguese ( couldn't say where, just heard them ) and Romanian. African and Indian subcontinent languages mostly remain a mystery to me.

Though I speak almost no Arabic in a real, conversational sense, I notice the different accents here easily, but my aesthetics seem to diverge from the local populace. Lebanese is universally considered the nicest accent here, but to my ears it sounds oddly heavy and Germanic compared to the way the Egyptians speak. I enjoy formal Arabic, especially in some Saudi accents, however - they sound pleasingly crisp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 07:15 AM

19,865 posts, read 18,161,871 times
I also totally dislike the sound of French, it sounds like rotting eggs to me it is funny, most people either love or hate the sound of French, there is little in between.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:16 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,149,047 times
I cannot stand the sound of French or Vietnamese. Really don't like the sound of German either.

Love Portuguese, Polish, Farsi, and American Sign Language lol. I know that last one sounds weird but I love being able to speak a language that is not sound-based at all. Also I like the feel of ASL but I hate the feel of British Sign Language.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 12-14-2011 at 07:32 AM..

Old 12-14-2011, 07:18 AM

5,599 posts, read 7,732,927 times
Nice-sounding: Italian, Dutch (honestly, I like the guttural sounds!)
Annoying-sounding: Chinese, Thai. Both sound like whiny shouting in my experience. Wouldn't recognise Vietnamese if I heard it.

Favourite accent in the English language: Southern drawl, preferably spoken by a nice buxom blonde woman

Old 12-14-2011, 07:28 AM

3,060 posts, read 6,898,615 times
How does one have a "civilised debate" about which language (and therefore which peoples) sounds most "annoying"?? It's completely speculative and subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I hope this thread doesn't get banned or start an argument (as opposed to civilised debate)...

Old 12-14-2011, 07:30 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,149,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
A lot of it depends on the speaker. People shouting sound pretty foul in all languages, like seagulls in Chinese languages or mountain goats in Arabic.

I find Japanese the most soothing on the ear, Cantonese the most unpleasant. French sounds kind of dissonant and phlegmatic. I actually like German, though it's a little cold-sounding. Russian is nice, I like it the most of the slavic languages I've heard. My favorite romance language is a tie between some accents of Brazilian Portuguese ( couldn't say where, just heard them ) and Romanian. African and Indian subcontinent languages mostly remain a mystery to me.

Though I speak almost no Arabic in a real, conversational sense, I notice the different accents here easily, but my aesthetics seem to diverge from the local populace. Lebanese is universally considered the nicest accent here, but to my ears it sounds oddly heavy and Germanic compared to the way the Egyptians speak. I enjoy formal Arabic, especially in some Saudi accents, however - they sound pleasingly crisp.
There are some 'amias I love and some 'amias I hate. I love fus'ha too cause it sounds so clean and crisp.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:20 AM

281 posts, read 647,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
How does one have a "civilised debate" about which language (and therefore which peoples) sounds most "annoying"?? It's completely speculative and subjective.
I can't see it's very different from 75% of threads in the world forum (what's the happiest country, what's the best city, which place has the most beautiful women, etc)

Old 12-14-2011, 11:28 AM

267 posts, read 731,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Dutch - it always sounds like the speaker is clearing their throat just before spitting on the sidewalk
True, except the "always". A lot of people in Holland speak dutch that way. But not everywhere. And in Flanders, the dutch is softer, easy-spoken. Better for your ears

Old 12-14-2011, 11:34 AM

267 posts, read 731,621 times
In my opinion:
Ugly: Portugal style Portuguese, Thai, Danish
Best: Swedish, Serbo-croatian

Old 12-14-2011, 11:35 AM

9,018 posts, read 7,879,132 times
I love an Irish brogue; also love the German language, Polish, even Arabic.

Most annoying-Spanish, easily Then Australian, Jamaican, & Cockney; just so hard to listen to....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or