U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:38 AM
Status: "Six years, and I still don't speak carpet." (set 16 days ago)

794 posts, read 588,448 times

Advertisements

I should not be saying this but my husband's native language is the most annoying language I've heard. I'll never be able to speak it, not even a little bit. He speaks Berber also known as Tamazight, which is from North Africa. Good thing he speaks other languages including French (which I love and he hates) and Spanish (which is the only language I speak fluently besides English).

Also annoying are most far-eastern Asian languages (especially spoken by women), except I like Korean because of its rhythm.

P.S. I'm also surprised that this thread isn't closed for being "offensive." Hmm...? I'm glad it's not though because just because I think a language is sounds annoying doesn't mean I'm calling to silence all of its speakers! hehe We don't have to like the sound of every language or every genre of music.

Last edited by Tintlelli; 12-15-2011 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: I just remembered that I can't stand the tonality of certain languages!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 07:53 AM

569 posts, read 598,861 times
Annoying? Not really, no language is annoying. Maybe different, strange, unfamiliar. It's all to do what we are used to and what we are willing to accept.

Mind you, the Valley Girl speak mentioned here actually annoys me when I have to listen to it while my daughters watch American programmes. It sounds artificial, fake and superficial.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:36 AM

1,011 posts, read 586,712 times
Swedish. I am so sorry but it sounds so arrogant...

Old 12-15-2011, 11:02 AM

3,339 posts, read 2,995,272 times
So many people here dislike Valley Girl talk, huh?

Frank Zappa - Valley Girl - YouTube

Old 12-15-2011, 11:44 AM

245 posts, read 191,602 times
I can't stand German and Dutch

Old 12-15-2011, 10:01 PM

1,069 posts, read 834,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Lol Ebonics almost does sound like a different language. I guess for me the whole attitude behind it can get annoying. Let alone fat black women with their heads moving side to side, it's just hilarious too though .
we cant have a thread with out bashing blacks people now cant we?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:18 PM

6,190 posts, read 4,514,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Prolly not.
It's all right though.
Just add that you find the sound of Russian language annoying, and don't forget to put Russians on top of the list of the "most unfriendly people" on related thread, and things will be moving along just fine.))))

Old 12-15-2011, 11:35 PM

3,035 posts, read 3,673,733 times
I'm not too fond of the way English sounds when spoken by Australians generally. I love when it comes from the mouth of a Brooklynite however. Obviously that's about the accent, not the actual language.
I find Asian languages a little hard on the ears, but I just need to remember to wear noise-canceling 'phones on public transport here, problem solved!

I grew up with Polish spoken at home a lot. I can understand how Slavic languages might get on the nerves of some, but it gets better after a few shots of vodka, trust me!

Old 12-16-2011, 12:08 AM

3,339 posts, read 2,995,272 times
I can't say that I really feel too annoyed by most people talking in any language (as long as they're not, say shouting right in my ear or anything, or causing a scene, it's all cool).

Actually I think it's pretty awesome to hear the range of phonetic sounds that can exist in language at all.

I hear a lot of Asian languages where I live (Chinese, Cantonese, Punjabi, Hindi, Tagalog, Tamil etc.) and I am used to the way they sound. I can see how they might be noticeable and distract/catch your attention as some of their accents sound either choppy and sing-songy with certain high tones that stand out (don't know exactly what the common features are, since apparently many languages grouped under "Asian" that sound similar come from quite different language families apparently).

Interesting enough, there is a similar tonal quality in some African accents (not referring to African American Vernacular English/Ebonics but accents from languages from Africa eg. Ghana, Nigeria etc.)

Not an example of speaking another language, but English with a Ghanian accent, seems to bring out this high, tonal quality to it too.

AFRICAN AUNTIE (THE REAL MCCOY) - YouTube

Indeed if anything I'd say that many of these Asian and African languages sound cool precisely because their tones(?)/pitch/rhythms.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:10 AM

6,398 posts, read 4,459,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
This is a bashing type thread period.

Almost everyone said Arabic is annoying.
Then he adds fat black womne with the haed moving side to side.
Then the Vietnamese(a lot of people think they are the least appealing of all Asians)

I'm guessing most people don't like the people who are actually speaking the language more than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World