Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 03:43 AM

3,636 posts, read 10,710,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
I love all languages! Well... Maybe except English. They can be very monotone. I very much like Japanese though and am trying to learn.
how can you call English monotone, Japanese is as monotone as it gets. Sounds like robots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 09:04 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,872,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
how can you call English monotone, Japanese is as monotone as it gets. Sounds like robots.
I think with English it depends on the speaker and accent. I can think of languages more monotone than either Japanese or English. In fact Japanese often sounds very excitable because the speakers seem excitable lol.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:20 AM

2 posts, read 9,220 times
Absolute worst: Mongolian
Horrible: Polish, Romanian, German, Greek, Hayeren, French (i don't see how French is considered romantic. maybe cuz it sounds like one is choking on ***?)
Bad: Albanian, Kartuli, Russian, Dutch, Bulgarian, Portuguese, Hindi, southern-US-English, Canadian English
Pleasant: Slovenian, proper Brit. English, Italian, Mexican-Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese

Old 12-22-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWasOGT View Post
Absolute worst: Mongolian
Horrible: Polish, Romanian, German, Greek, Hayeren, French (i don't see how French is considered romantic. maybe cuz it sounds like one is choking on ***?)
Bad: Albanian, Kartuli, Russian, Dutch, Bulgarian, Portuguese, Hindi, southern-US-English, Canadian English
Pleasant: Slovenian, proper Brit. English, Italian, Mexican-Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese
Indeed, scholarly experts believe that is how the guttural sound of French developed.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 PM

668 posts, read 466,312 times
Default language

I could listen someone speak Italian to me for hours...I wouldn't know what they are saying, but love the way it sounds.

Not a big fan of French or Russian though.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
I could listen someone speak Italian to me for hours...I wouldn't know what they are saying, but love the way it sounds.

Not a big fan of French or Russian though.
I find Italian sort of comical and amusing at times, often because they speak so fast.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:13 PM

After listening to samples on youtube, I think I have to re-order my original 3 'least favourite'. They are still the same, but would be:

Cantonese
Thai
Vietnamese

Old 12-22-2011, 08:29 PM

5,003 posts, read 12,330,032 times
The countryside drawl in my opinion is the most annoying aberration of the English language. Sometimes when you talk with someone who has this accent, it's like pulling teeth waiting for them to complete a sentence. "Iwt taaaaaakes faaahv minoooots ta get anythaaaaaang out offffff their mawhtes!"

Stoner accents are similarly annoying. "DUUUUUUUUDE! I GOT DUH MUNCHIES!!!"

Old 12-22-2011, 08:30 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,853,067 times
I've a great tolerance for unfamiliar languages, it is when the talkers sound like they are at each others' throats that I develop a bad headache.

Quote:
Cantonese
Thai
Vietnamese
Cantonese and Vietnamese, yes. Thai, not so much.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
I've a great tolerance for unfamiliar languages, it is when the talkers sound like they are at each others' throats that I develop a bad headache.

Cantonese and Vietnamese, yes. Thai, not so much.
Maybe it's just cos I've spent 6 weeks in Vietnam and Thailand. Never cared much for the languages before I went. Obviously language wasn't one of the main reasons I visited. I did learn a few words though. Sitting in an internet cafe in Bangkok with a bunch of kids who spoke in the most annoying way I've ever heard. You'd have to be there to know.

Thai is far from soft and elegant most of the time. It's harsh and nasal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World