Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 02:30 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Not Japan.
Japanese have bad teeth?

I had pretty bad dental hygiene as a kid. I remember every time we'd have our annual dental check-up (it's free when you're a kid) the dentist/dental nurse would usually find a cavity and chastise me for my obvious poor brushing. I've had countless fillings over the years, and some other work done. My mum used to nag me. I used to only brush at night, and now do if I'm lazy, I've never been the most fastidious about my teeth. I had a few school mates who were worse, though, I remember my best friend saying he literally NEVER brushed his teeth. I couldn't really believe it (mostly the fact that his parents didn't force him). He ate sweets like the rest of us too. How his teeth did not fall out is a mystery. I'm assuming he finally buckled and followed the rest of us (this was when we were 8 or 9 mind).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 04:32 AM

973 posts, read 1,705,342 times
I would change the question a bit and ask if anywhere besides the US, are people OBSESSED with having straight, white (fake) teeth with none missing!

Old 12-17-2011, 06:58 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Japanese have bad teeth?

I had pretty bad dental hygiene as a kid. I remember every time we'd have our annual dental check-up (it's free when you're a kid) the dentist/dental nurse would usually find a cavity and chastise me for my obvious poor brushing. I've had countless fillings over the years, and some other work done. My mum used to nag me. I used to only brush at night, and now do if I'm lazy, I've never been the most fastidious about my teeth. I had a few school mates who were worse, though, I remember my best friend saying he literally NEVER brushed his teeth. I couldn't really believe it (mostly the fact that his parents didn't force him). He ate sweets like the rest of us too. How his teeth did not fall out is a mystery. I'm assuming he finally buckled and followed the rest of us (this was when we were 8 or 9 mind).
I don't know if Japanese teeth are 'bad' but they quite often have too many causing very crooked teeth... I've been to Japan quite a few times and just observed people on the metro etc and this is quite common to see.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:20 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
I wouldn't say that only Americans of "a certain social status" have good teeth. Rather, I think it's more accurate to say that only those of low social status generally have bad teeth. "Bad teeth" is associated with drug usage and cigarette smoking in the U.S., two frowned-upon behaviors.

Of the few countries I have been too, Morocco, the poorest country, also contains the citizens with the worst teeth. In Mexico and Costa Rica, good teeth seems to be more of a class indicator than in the U.S., with middle-class children sporting braces (called "brackets" in Mexico). However, they are not reserved for only the rich but are quite widely available.

This brings up another question: how much do braces cost in your country? I know it obviously varies depending on how many years one has to have them, what specific braces they are, etc., but a general ball-park figure would be nice. My braces, which I had to wear for 1.5 years, cost about $4,000. This was 10 years ago. I'm sure they are much, much cheaper in Latin America and even in wealthy countries other than the United States.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:46 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Ok ok, I didn't mean ALL europeans, I'm sorry, only the French
Why don't you admit you're 14 and you've never left Michigan?

Old 12-17-2011, 06:15 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I wouldn't say that only Americans of "a certain social status" have good teeth. Rather, I think it's more accurate to say that only those of low social status generally have bad teeth. "Bad teeth" is associated with drug usage and cigarette smoking in the U.S., two frowned-upon behaviors.

Of the few countries I have been too, Morocco, the poorest country, also contains the citizens with the worst teeth. In Mexico and Costa Rica, good teeth seems to be more of a class indicator than in the U.S., with middle-class children sporting braces (called "brackets" in Mexico). However, they are not reserved for only the rich but are quite widely available.

This brings up another question: how much do braces cost in your country? I know it obviously varies depending on how many years one has to have them, what specific braces they are, etc., but a general ball-park figure would be nice. My braces, which I had to wear for 1.5 years, cost about $4,000. This was 10 years ago. I'm sure they are much, much cheaper in Latin America and even in wealthy countries other than the United States.
In Britain, nothing - dental treatment is free for those under 18 and over 65, and subsidised for adults (and free for full-time students/unemployed unless I am mistaken). I had braces for a time when I was about 12 or so and it cost my parents nothing. There are three fixed prices for dental treatment on the NHS depending on what you need doing - I think a check-up, which I have every year, was about £16 ($25 or so) last time I went; a filling would be £40 ($60-70). The highest price for more sophisticated treatment is about £200 (just over $300).

Old 12-18-2011, 08:22 AM

973 posts, read 1,705,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
In Britain, nothing - dental treatment is free for those under 18 and over 65, and subsidised for adults (and free for full-time students/unemployed unless I am mistaken). I had braces for a time when I was about 12 or so and it cost my parents nothing. There are three fixed prices for dental treatment on the NHS depending on what you need doing - I think a check-up, which I have every year, was about £16 ($25 or so) last time I went; a filling would be £40 ($60-70). The highest price for more sophisticated treatment is about £200 (just over $300).
Then why do we see so many with bad teeth? And to the point where the Brits are stereotyped in having such?

Old 12-18-2011, 09:00 AM

689 posts, read 2,161,523 times
From the Simpsons: "The Big Book of British Smiles".

The Big Book of British Smiles - YouTube

Old 12-18-2011, 10:19 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Like a previous comment stated about America and that the poor and drug users have bad teeth it is the same here, a lot of older people 40-ish seem to have bad teeth also (don't know why) but most of the people I know of the younger generation have good teeth and have had braces and go to the dentist often, I don't think Britain has poorer dental hygiene than any other country in Europe it is what it is a sterotype which American like to pick up on and take the p**s a bit! Just like the sterotype that a lot of Americans don't have a clue of what goes on outside there country!

Old 12-18-2011, 10:35 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
Then why do we see so many with bad teeth? And to the point where the Brits are stereotyped in having such?
I suspect that stereotype comes from what the GIs noticed coming here in WW2 before we had a national health system. I'm not sure if it's just because they are old per se or because they grew up in a certain era but a lot of people over 70 or so do have crooked or yellow teeth, but I wouldn't say it's noticeable in younger generations. Actually when I think about it most stereotypes of British people held internationally like the bad teeth, the class structure, drinking tea, refined manners and accents, colonialist attitudes etc are from the early 20th century when we had a bigger influence in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World