Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 11:24 PM

115 posts, read 334,809 times

Advertisements

I have been digging around the internet trying to findout where I call but with no luck

My father came to the US from Belfort France 40 years ago (loved his country so much he named me after it LOL)

Anyway he told me that because he is a french citizen born and raised that automatically gives me citizenship (or something to that effect)

I wanted to see about getting dual citizenship for France. Can anyone direct me to the right area???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 04:57 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,552,134 times
Embassy of France in the U.S.
The French Embassy in Washington should be able to help you.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:06 AM

575 posts, read 3,122,436 times
I had the same situation, somewhat. My father is from Itlay, and I was born in Italy, while my mother is American. If one of your parents is a citizen of France (They must still have their citizenship for it to work) then you have the right to French Citizenship, all you really need is your French/EU passport.

The embassy will tell you to contact the nearest French Consulate to you. Trust me on this when I say it can be frustrating to work with the consulates! But they will require things like your birth certificate, your father's birth certificate or French Passport, and some passport photos of you. You will have to fill out some forms when you get there. The fee for the passport was $110

It took me about 3 weeks to recieve my Italian/EU passport..but there are so many advantages as you can travel/live/work throughout western Europe without any restrictions or Visas. I'll be moving back to Europe in a week!

Old 08-30-2007, 01:46 PM

960 posts, read 1,674,780 times
Dual citizenship is a very simple process, and I found the Irish Consulate to be very quick and easy to work with. The French may be responsive too.

Good luck. Dual citizenship is a great thing for all of us to have inherited from our parents.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:29 PM

wow was able to get through to the French Consulate in DC and she said it is not automatic citizenship even when your parent is a born and raised frenchman and who he himself is still a citizen of France..LOL.. I actually have to apply through the consulate in S.F.

Now my mom needs the info since she also was under the assumption that being married to a frenchman gave her citizenship...

How hard is it to get Canadien citizenship? My grandparents on my mothers side were born and raised in Quebec.

Half my family (on father's side still live in France, Paris and elsewhere plus my tante et oncle live in Switzerland) and the other half live in Quebec and Montreal.

Dang somewhere in there I should be eligible for citizenship.???

Old 08-31-2007, 06:12 AM

575 posts, read 3,122,436 times
Nationality (broken link)

Old 08-31-2007, 11:20 AM

11 posts, read 38,327 times
I have lots of experience in this matter - with France!

My father was French. So way back in the 80's I applied from my French Nationality (He was still alive at the time). It took me about two years - a lot of paperwork was necessary. We had to trace is birth certificate and those of his parents (my Dad was born in 1907, so you can imagine!). Also had to translate my parents marriage certificate and my birth certificate all by a French State appointed translator (not just any simple service!).

Anyway, in the end as I said, I did get the French Nationality. I have the Passport, the National ID card, and I even lived in France and worked there.

Now, I am married to an American, and we wanted to get him the French Passport. I will not go thru it all, but we decided against it, because I was told that I had to have a NEW nationality document (which meant I would have to get all new copies of all the documents from before.....).

Better to vacation there, go to the doctor ($30) and eat the cheese and drink the wine!

Bonne Chance!

Old 08-31-2007, 11:35 PM

4,281 posts, read 15,708,767 times
Quote:
How hard is it to get Canadien citizenship? My grandparents on my mothers side were born and raised in Quebec.
hate to breaki the news to you, but you're not going to get automatic Canadian citizenship either.

Having family in Canada may help somewhat toward establishing eligibility, though.

Check out Citizenship and Immigrations Canada's web site for full details.

Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Old 09-01-2007, 12:33 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,470,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
hate to breaki the news to you, but you're not going to get automatic Canadian citizenship either.

Having family in Canada may help somewhat toward establishing eligibility, though.

Check out Citizenship and Immigrations Canada's web site for full details.

Welcome Page | Page d'accueil
Cornerguy, as much Tim Horton's coffee, donuts and bagels as I've consumed, I oughta be automatically eligible for Canadian Citizenship!

Old 09-01-2007, 12:51 PM

Actual good news

Come to find out when I was 12 and brother was 13 my parents had actually gone to the consulat in SF and registered me and him as french citizens.

He has all the paperwork still. He said that they should be able to pull us up in the system (but this was prior to computers so who knows but all the matters is that my father still has all the actual documents so we are doing OK!!! :-)

And cornerguy... yeah I still have alot of family in Quebec and Montreal (from my mothers side. (Notre Dame de Stanbridge area)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World