U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-28-2011, 06:45 AM

24,693 posts, read 15,657,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi28 View Post
Strangely enough, I often find English to be quite self deprecating about their country, but as somebody pointed out earlier, you are obviously not allowed to share the sentiment if you are foreigner.
Probably goes back to not wanting to seem imperialist. By the way, all this stuff we hear in the media about banning Santa Claus and pandering to Muslims, how reflective of how PC Britain is now or is it a bit of a blow-up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 07:04 AM

281 posts, read 283,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Probably goes back to not wanting to seem imperialist. By the way, all this stuff we hear in the media about banning Santa Claus and pandering to Muslims, how reflective of how PC Britain is now or is it a bit of a blow-up?
Yeah, but also goes deeper than that, I think. To be generally unhappy with things seems something very enrooted within the English psyche. When I first moved here from Spain they all looked at me like I am crazy, and why the hell would I move here? They all want to go and retire there but, at the same time, those same people will belittle my country and criticize the state it is in using a full range of cliches. A complex sentiment, I would say.

Haven't heard anything about this Santa thing, really, so I guess it must not be very indicative of anything. Brits are, almost by definition, extremely polite, respectful and PC on the surface, but the same crap as everywhere else runs underneath.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:57 AM

13,707 posts, read 7,049,615 times
We in England, and the UK in general, tend to look at the bad points of our own country but look at the good points of other countries.

Another thing - our media is constantly bombarding us with headlines of how terrible we are even though 99% of the time it isn't true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi28 View Post
Yeah, but also goes deeper than that, I think. To be generally unhappy with things seems something very enrooted within the English psyche. When I first moved here from Spain they all looked at me like I am crazy, and why the hell would I move here? They all want to go and retire there but, at the same time, those same people will belittle my country and criticize the state it is in using a full range of cliches. A complex sentiment, I would say.

Haven't heard anything about this Santa thing, really, so I guess it must not be very indicative of anything. Brits are, almost by definition, extremely polite, respectful and PC on the surface, but the same crap as everywhere else runs underneath.
Most English people only want to retire to Spain because the weather is good, they don't give anything else a second thought.

Oh, and yeah, it's 'English' to be generally miserable and complaining about everything, I guess it's kind of like a culture of our own.. but if a foreigner says something bad about us then get prepared for something nasty, especially if you're a bloomin' European or a bloomin' Yank.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:35 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,719,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
We in England, and the UK in general, tend to look at the bad points of our own country but look at the good points of other countries.
It's the same here in the Netherlands :|

Old 12-29-2011, 02:25 AM

24,642 posts, read 13,497,674 times
I think that the US is faux patriotic, more jingoistic.

This is a bizarre question.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:14 AM

3,225 posts, read 3,881,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I think that the US is faux patriotic, more jingoistic.

This is a bizarre question.
US is so strange, so divided, two opposed extremes. There are people who do nothing but complain and complain. And there are others who will tell anyone who voices any single objection to US policies/government that they should "get the f*** out" or that they should "move to Iran/China/Somalia" if they don't like it here.

From my personal observations, some Eastern European nations (particulary those of former Yugoslavia/Balkan region) can be quite nationalistic.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:53 AM

281 posts, read 283,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
US is so strange, so divided, two opposed extremes. There are people who do nothing but complain and complain. And there are others who will tell anyone who voices any single objection to US policies/government that they should "get the f*** out" or that they should "move to Iran/China/Somalia" if they don't like it here.
I wouldn't necessarily say opposite extremes. It's not the same to disagree with the country's politics or criticize the state things are and not being patriotic, and you will be hard pressed to find many people in the US, even among liberals or what is generally considered "the left" that, at the end of the day, is not much more patriotic that most people in other countries.

Just a thing as common as having the flag waving outside your house would be almost unthinkable in many other places.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:23 AM

5,887 posts, read 4,704,492 times
The most "patriotic" countries - in the sense of nationalist, showy public displays and self-conscious public affirmations of loving the nation, and frequent our-nation-is best type of rhetoric:

North Korea
United States
Iran
Venezuela
China
Zimbabwe
Northern Ireland (with two seriously competing "patriotic" ideologies"
Israel & Palestine (very similar to above)

Countries that display a quiet love and respect for homeland:

Norway
Sweden
Iceland

Old 01-02-2012, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 958 times
The U.S. is very patriotic, but our patriotism seems to be declining pretty rapidly... I found this poll very interesting.

[url=http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/study-americans-no-longer-think-america-special-150209897.html]STUDY: Americans No Longer Think America Is So Special | Daily Ticker - Yahoo! Finance[/url]

Old 01-03-2012, 12:12 AM

13,707 posts, read 7,049,615 times
I hate those kinds of polls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World